GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDXv8.0 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah it'd almost certainly fit in nicely on realistic and hardcore.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

I have experienced another nasty bug (no idea if it has to do with the original game or GMDX though): at a certain point during the game I could no longer use Soda, Candy Bars and the Forty liquor.

The problem persisted even after quitting and / or starting a new game.

After reinstalling the game, everything was back to normal.

When I tried to use those items, the game would say I was full of health / energy although not true.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

A suggestion (as dog lover): I noticed that guard dogs die in a pool of blood even if I use non lethal attacks (tranquilizer darts, baton). Would it be possible to make them unconscious just like for humans?

Another suggestion: I am now at the UNATCO office talking to Manderley reading books and newspapers there (this applies to all NPCs but I am using Manderley as reference). There are two (minor) annoyances:

1) When I click on the red book on his desk, he protests saying things like "What do you think you are doing?" or "Grow up, JC!". Can you disable that kind of reactions? It discourages the player from learning background facts and stories.

2) While I am reading the newspapers/books there is a regular interruption from the man reminding me he has work to do and that I should go down to level 3 and so on... It gets very distracting and it's irritating. Can you make so that when you read newspaper the world pauses, like when you access the Inventory?

I can provide a little extra info about those two pesky bugs I am recurrently meeting:

[INVENTORY BUG] If I die and I let the game restart by itself (it takes perhaps 30 seconds or so) and go back to the main menu instead of pushing ESC and forcing a New Game this bug does not happen

[NO DRINK/FOOD BUG?FEATURE?] I am experiencing this again. What happens now when I load and choose Use in the Inventory is that nothing at all happens. Not even a message. After doing this (I tried drinking from a soda can), if I traverse an area that requires loading, I get in the upper side of the display the following messages:

Soda Activated.
You are full and cannot consume anymore at this time.

Same thing if I try and consume a Candy Bar. Then another message is displayed as well.

Candy Bar Activated.
You are full and cannot consume anymore at this time.

This is quite a serious bug because there seems to be no going back. Starting a New Game doesn't seem to reset the "full" flag unless the player waits out the death scene (same problem with the inventory bug above). I have taken a screenshot to show the messages:
Shot0000.jpg
Is there something that can be done about it?

Okay, after having googled around I found this: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?t ... 9#msg87059

Now... if I understand correctly you made it so that you no longer can drink or eat ad libitum to simulate the natural reaction of a human body but I find a few problems with this decision:

1) Most importantly, gameplay-wise, this cripples one of the game's systems to provide the player with health/energy recharges. I find the present implementation extreme but I agree that the eating/drinking should be limited. If it's possible to implement a timer, that would be the way to go.

2) JC is not a normal human being. It is possible that his digestive system does not follow the traditional limitations when it comes to drinking and eating.

3) You can still drink from fountains to regain health. That's a rather plain inconsistency.

Thanks!
Last edited by Salk on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

I keep reporting my impression/finds in the game, hoping that it might be of some interest to the author.

[BUG?] The Electronic Control Panel in the game reports a Damage Threshold of 80. I shoot it with the GEP gun which has a base damage of well over 200 but the Electronic Control Panel still functions. Shouldn't it be bypassed?
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

[BUG?] A visual glitch sometimes after I enabled the useful GMDX option that allows automatic holstering when picking up an object. Now this replaces the graphic for carrying any body I pick up. No idea what triggered it.

The bug seems to be embedded in the save game.
Box.jpg
Last edited by Salk on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

[BUG?] One more thing: I upgraded the IFF augmentation to level 2 but what I get it seems to me is what I should have at level 3, according to the upgrade description. In fact, I can see a percentage value on the small screen top right which provides vital signs.

Tech 2 should instead make the crosshair display accuracy no matter whether or not a target is in sight?
Shot0000.jpg
Last edited by Salk on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

[SUGGESTION] In Hell's Kitchen outside Osgood's there are some UNATCO troops keeping some NSF terrorists in check. Apart for one single, random time when I did have the chance to reach those UNATCO soldiers and talk to the one in charge, each other time I played that part (5 times) the fight breaks out before I can even get close, resulting each time in the death of one or more of such UNATCO soldiers, making the player miss on some nice dialogue.

Would it be possible to replicate the same situation of Castle Clinton instead? There, if you do not make yourself visible, the terrorists do not attack and keep their ground.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

[CLARIFICATION] I am not sure I understand how to set the PS20 pistol to non lethal? I push the Reload key (in my case 'R'...) but nothing happens... No message informing me that the next shot will be non lethal or anything of the sort. Am I doing something wrong?
Mariner
Mole Person

Post by Mariner »

How to I scale the UI (and HUD) to scale like in Revision?

I am running at 1920x1080, and I know that it scales to resolution within GMDX, but I cannot play with indicators this tiny due to the physical size of my screen.

I know the author posted in the Moddb page that I have to "enable" UI scaling, but I don't know in which .ini that setting is, or if I have to add that line.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

[VISUAL GLITCH] Probably has to do with New Vision but since that mod is no longer in development, I report it here for future reference. There is a problem in the Brooklyn Bridge area. The texture disappears as soon as the player gets close to it.

BEFORE:
Shot0004.jpg
AFTER:
Shot0005.jpg
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

[SCRIPT BUG] In the Free Clinic in Hell's Kitchen a NPC (the one talking to the doctor sat behind the desk) has some problem going through a door. Once you convince him to be more appreciative, he leaves that room and tries and goes sit on the hall, getting stuck against the wall (he should move a bit more to the right). Here:
Shot0001.jpg
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Salk wrote:[VISUAL GLITCH] Probably has to do with New Vision but since that mod is no longer in development, I report it here for future reference. There is a problem in the Brooklyn Bridge area. The texture disappears as soon as the player gets close to it.

BEFORE:
Shot0004.jpg
AFTER:
Shot0005.jpg
That's no New Vision glitch.

That's a BSP HOLE.

RUN WHILE YOU CAN
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

FastGamerr wrote: That's no New Vision glitch.

That's a BSP HOLE.

RUN WHILE YOU CAN
Do you know what is causing it then?
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

It's a rendering error caused by the ancient Unreal Engine 1.5. Fixing a BSP Hole (aka Satan's Fiery Asshole) requires some kind of alteration (most commonly changing an additive brush to a semi-solid brush) to the level archi, after which it needs to be re-rendered (or rebuilt, to be UED-technical) and the BSP hole just might go away.

And in the process, creating a new one somewhere else in the level or if it's a particularly complex one, it'll just appear from a different angle. And when you fix those, a new one appears somewhere else.

No wonder most 3D games today run on a "fill an empty BSP box with pretty static meshes so that the actually graphically nice parts won't use BSP" principle.

IN OTHER WORDS, getting rid of that BSP hole would require editing the level in UED.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I was just wondering if this kind of issue is present in the non modded game because if it is not, I'd still like to know how it was introduced. That's why I asked whether or not it was related to New Vision.