Calling all TNM fans! (New TNM Testing)

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Bogie
UNATCO

Calling all TNM fans! (New TNM Testing)

Post by Bogie »

Hello all!

As many of you may know, the new The Nameless Mod version is currently in development! With the coding wizard Björn Ehrby on board as coder, the mapping god ZeroPresence on board as mapper, the globetrotting Henry Maiar as secondary mapper, and myself as texture artist, we have an all star cast for this mod!

One field we're lacking in however, is testers! We currently have three testers, two active (one myself), which honestly isn't going to cut it. That's why we need more testers! The only criteria you must meet, is that you've played at least half of The Nameless Mod, and can be ready for any testing (exceptions can be made, but activity is preferred). Another thing as a tester, is that you need to give feedback (obviously), but also participate in giving ideas (where appropriate).

For those unsure of what the new TNM is, this is basically an overhaul of The Nameless Mod based on version 1.0.5, with new level remakes, weapon and NPC changes, and plenty of bugfixes. This mod will include some new content that we won't talk about here, because that would be super lame, but trust me; it's looking good so far. And of course, the magic of Björn Ehrby, ZeroPresence, and Henry Maiar will ensure that this mod is the best version of The Nameless Mod to date. We don't have a set release date, but we're hoping to have more (active) testers to help bring the new version to a closer date.

If you're interested in the new version, please come over to the official 'Off Topic Productions' Discord server, for more information on beta testing The Nameless Mod. If you are interested, throw me a PM on Discord or OTP, and we can discuss it. My Discord ID is Bogie#4074

Happy testing forumgoers,
-Bogie
Last edited by Bogie on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Calling all TNM fans! (New TNM Testing)

Post by ggrotz »

Bogie wrote: As many of you may know, the new The Nameless Mod version is currently in development!
So is this a more polished 1.05, or something else entirely? Jumped over to the Discord (twice) and didn't see any activity, so really couldn't discuss it there. What type of time commitment are you looking for on this? For that matter, not sure what you're looking for precisely. Can always play stuff and see what happens (kinda like on the Nihilum thread), but kinda hesitant with what I'm seeing (and the projects I got going) to really say anything too much...

New DX content is always good, so hopefully it all works out one way or the other.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

They've rebuilt a bunch of levels more or less from scratch. To wit:

I believe there are also some mechanical features and a bit of new story content, but one of the people involved will have to elaborate on that.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

ggrotz wrote:So is this a more polished 1.05, or something else entirely? Jumped over to the Discord (twice) and didn't see any activity, so really couldn't discuss it there.
This is more or less a whole overhaul; the development name is TNM 2018 (although that name is subject to change in the future). As for commitment, the game is updated on a daily basis, with updates distributed through SmartGit. You don't need to test everything, but being there to test new content with a high priority (i.e new rebuilt maps or areas) is definitely preferred. If you are interested, send me a PM over Discord or OTP, and we can talk about this further. Most of the activity on the Discord is development.
Jonas wrote: I believe there are also some mechanical features and a bit of new story content, but one of the people involved will have to elaborate on that.
I can confirm that there will be a lot of changes to a lot of things, but I won't go into specifics. ;)

Updating the first post to be a little more specific.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Man, it'll be weird as fuck to replay TNM and not know where everything is.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
rea987
Mole Person

Post by rea987 »

Well, it's been years since I reached PDX and Ryan endings but haven't tried WC campaign at all. I am aware that WC has some exclusive levels which aren't reachable via PDX campaign. Should I wait the new version?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

rea987 wrote:Well, it's been years since I reached PDX and Ryan endings but haven't tried WC campaign at all. I am aware that WC has some exclusive levels which aren't reachable via PDX campaign. Should I wait the new version?
The way I'm reading this is that it's going to be a completely different mod heavily based off of TNM, not a simple revision of it. So with whatever they're doing, it's basically going to be new content. That said, by all means load up 1.04+ and play the WC storyline.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

It's been very long since I've been involved with the TNM team (immediately as the 1.0.5 works kicked into gear IRL got in the way for me), but it was mainly bugfixes and maps redone by ZP, and it wasn't a completely different experience. That being said a lot of time has passed since then.

I recommend everyone to do both PDX/WC playthroughs on the same version as you will be seeing a lot of the same areas, with callbacks to the other playhrough. I have no doubt that 1.0.5 will be an improvement, and you should do both playthroughs (or more!) on it as well - but I won't rob anyone of the original feeling.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Hell yeah! Never thought I'd stumble on something new with TNM nine years later! Now I'll have to replay it again.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

ggrotz wrote:
rea987 wrote:Well, it's been years since I reached PDX and Ryan endings but haven't tried WC campaign at all. I am aware that WC has some exclusive levels which aren't reachable via PDX campaign. Should I wait the new version?
The way I'm reading this is that it's going to be a completely different mod heavily based off of TNM, not a simple revision of it. So with whatever they're doing, it's basically going to be new content. That said, by all means load up 1.04+ and play the WC storyline.
No it isn't, this is led by me and it grew larger than anticipated much like the very beginning on the PDX forum. Originally I was just going to work on levels ONLY by myself but a bunch of people stepped up and wanted to help, so we have a TNM 2018 team rocking everything out. I make regular updates on the facebook page, under the assumption we are running a ghost crew here of forum participants.

So here's a basic rundown:

1. Updated levels, with new content, a few new characters here and there, etc.

2. A few brand new levels are cropping up, one is a very obvious location for you to explore, but the rest are going to be secret levels using a throw back method of discovery along the lines of Quake 2 and other such classics. Do a lot of exploring and you won't be rewarded with only a skill bonus, but an entire new level to explore.

3. Modernization: better launcher / installer, a few tweaks to things such as the option to play using classic weapon models, or the higher poly ones, numbered conversation choices, text resolution, etc.

4. Character texture improvements.

5. Weapon balance is going to be included as well, but more of a fine tuning rather than a full overhaul. For instance the pump shotgun has gotten a lot of love that will make it a lot more viable.

I'll be better about checking the forums if there are still some die hards here that want some face time. :smile:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ZeroPresence wrote:the rest are going to be secret levels using a throw back method of discovery along the lines of Quake 2 and other such classics.
You mean I have to walk up and down every wall spamming the use key until a section slides away? :-k
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Jonas wrote:You mean I have to walk up and down every wall spamming the use key until a section slides away? :-k
No sir, in Quake 2 you found them by just being observant. For instance near the beginning of the game you walk into a half flooded room with rubble along the back wall. You generally would think "oh okay so that indicates this is the wrong way and a door is destroyed or something." But, if you happen to get curious and find you actually can indeed fit through the rubble, you are rewarded with a fully functional elevator that heads to a secret map.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Looks like I picked a good time to come back here.

Hi everyone.
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

ZeroPresence wrote:
Jonas wrote:You mean I have to walk up and down every wall spamming the use key until a section slides away? :-k
No sir, in Quake 2 you found them by just being observant. For instance near the beginning of the game you walk into a half flooded room with rubble along the back wall. You generally would think "oh okay so that indicates this is the wrong way and a door is destroyed or something." But, if you happen to get curious and find you actually can indeed fit through the rubble, you are rewarded with a fully functional elevator that heads to a secret map.
Yeah totally. And the secret area allowed you to get the Super Shotgun earlier, I never passed up this optional area just for that. :mrgreen:

Are you going to add the same mechanics in the TNM update? Man! This sounds truly great! Now since you mentioned it, about the:

Pump Action Shotgun:

When doing a full Lethal playthrough I often get it. I like it so much. If I remember adding a Laser Sight or upping the Targeting Aug makes it a true Boss Killer. The trivial issue I have with the Pump Action Shotgun is purely visual: I really wanted more texturing on this one. You know on this subject if I remember correctly ZeroPresence unique "Sniper Rifle" had a pretty neat camouflage decal.^^ I don’t think a camouflage would go well with the Pump Shotgun, just saying the Pump Shotgun deserves more detailed decals.

Anyways glad to this one going, sincere Best of Luck. ^^
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

chris the cynic wrote:Looks like I picked a good time to come back here.

Hi everyone.
If you use Discord feel free to stop by. I can give you a few permissions so you can peek in on what we're doing. You won't be required to do anything, but considering you were there from day 1 of TNM you earned your keep.