Voice Acting - Discuss Here

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Re: Voice Acting - Discuss Here

Post by chris the cynic »

When you take Rs out of some things and put them into other things weird results can be had.

Martha --> Mahtha --> Mahther which is almost mother, except that mother would be mothah.
yokuoh
Mole Person

Post by yokuoh »

JC_Helios wrote:
Jonas wrote:
yokuoh wrote:And frankly I'm not surprised at the response - people don't like being criticised and I would be the same.
What the hell? I have absolutely nothing against being criticized as long as the criticism is reasonable and respectful, and yours was. What exactly was wrong with my response? :-k
I think he somehow confused Illumonic and I as being part of the team, or voice actors. My response was partly because I couldn't determine if he was a troll or not :P . Sharing the fact that he was English didn't seem very troll-y, but those last to comments about "what a shame", and "weakest link"... seemed like something a troll would say.

I also have this odd compulsion of resisting the usual: " ZOMG!11! M0D SO AWESOME Me Sex u!!!" type fandom in favor of mild PR, bug reports, and complaining about little things that I wish were included type fandom :lol: :roll:. As such, critique without clarification annoys me a bit, and it might explain why he thought I was somehow involved.
I never confused anybody with anything...

All I was sayin was great mod, shame(less) about the voices.

Probably best not to jump the gun.

:-k
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Well even if it was an outright trolling, I still try to keep a grain of civility to my responses.

Also the only really Snarky comments were from Illumonic and I; people who's work you weren't critiquing. I don't see how: Assuring you all the English actors were of the correct origins, and promising to do better next time are predictable responses to critique. :lol:
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I find the concept of "outright dislike purely due to accent" strangely....well, I'm trying to think of a phrase more diplomatic than 'fucking retarded', but I'm having trouble.

I can't help but think that rather than demanding that every game should feature nicely generic smooth american accents (just like the movies! And song videos! And adverts! And vast quantities of other subliminally mindfucking media!), one should be demanding that other things (like the bracketed stuff above) shouldn't exclusively feature nicely generic smooth american accents.

I'd rather art imitated life than the other way round, in this case at least.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

yokuoh wrote:
JC_Helios wrote:
Jonas wrote:Posted by yokuoh:And frankly I'm not surprised at the response - people don't like being criticised and I would be the same.
What the hell? I have absolutely nothing against being criticized as long as the criticism is reasonable and respectful, and yours was. What exactly was wrong with my response? :-k
I think he somehow confused Illumonic and I as being part of the team...
I never confused anybody with anything...

All I was sayin was great mod, shame(less) about the voices.

Probably best not to jump the gun.

:-k
Ok, so you were not confused. that's nice. Now I'm confused.

Why didn't you answer Jonas' questions?

If for some reason you do not want to answer Jonas, please answer this:
What about his response compelled you to say, "people don't like being criticised"?

Jonas is, I'm pretty sure, the best example of someone who likes being criticized. Grub, the only other person you criticized, merely said that next time the voice acting would be a wider variety of professional voice actors. Neither showed any dislike towards being criticized.

What you said was, "And frankly I'm not surprised at the response - people don't like being criticised," when as near as I can tell, "And frankly I am surprised at the response – usually people don't like being criticised," would have made more sense.

Clearly what you see and what I see are two very different things. I'd like to know what you see.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

DDL wrote:I find the concept of "outright dislike purely due to accent" strangely....well, I'm trying to think of a phrase more diplomatic than 'fucking retarded', but I'm having trouble.

I can't help but think that rather than demanding that every game should feature nicely generic smooth american accents (just like the movies! And song videos! And adverts! And vast quantities of other subliminally mindfucking media!), one should be demanding that other things (like the bracketed stuff above) shouldn't exclusively feature nicely generic smooth american accents.

I'd rather art imitated life than the other way round, in this case at least.
To me that especially makes sense in the context of Deus Ex which is supposed to take place in the real world rather than the fictional homogeneous backwater that is most of what we see on TV.

I'm not sure whether a place where everyone talks with generic accents is Hell, Airstrip One, or Hell's Airstrip One devision.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Though to be fair, the aussie bartender in Hong Kong was fucking terrible. :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The important thing is that the accents are authentic.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

I was looking at the evil overlord list and one entry reminded me of this thread:

184 I will hire a drama coach. The hero will think it must be a case of mistaken identity when confronted by my Minnesota accent (if everyone sounds American) or my Cornwall accent (if everyone sounds British).
MICROSHAFT
Thug

Post by MICROSHAFT »

What kind of accent was Ronin's? It was the only one I couldn't place. It was one of my favorites though.

The funniest one is that guy downtown near Sol's. What's his name? Aemir? His dialogue sounds like a lunatic but he speaks in this soft, wimpy voice which makes him seem like a psycho. "Shinee new rahfle."

I wish you guys gave the Arny a voice, made of the worst Arnold impersonation you could find.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I have no idea what Ronin's accent was. It was just weird I think.

Aemer's accent was a Danish guy (not me) trying to sound British.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I'm glad you liked it :D

I can't take the credit for the psycho dialogue...Jonas designed it such that Aemer would seem like his demeanor and dialogue would contradict eachother as much as possible. Well that and he poked fun at me. We were both a little afraid people wouldn't think it was funny, so it's great to hear that you did :D

The accent and voice, though...they're all me... =P
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I really liked Aemer - who else would ask you for a coffee when you break into their apartment? (I climbed over the fence originally to get there).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

What I really like about Aemer is that he's super-polite, but he looks like a biker thug.

[EDIT] AND IN THE GAME!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Arnaud G. Vasquez
Thug

Post by Arnaud G. Vasquez »

^- Can I truly rest assured Aemer is not such a manifest being in reality?

I have a strange addiction to some of the random voices, like the guy standing outside Phas' apartment (i.e. "This lockdown is starting to freak me out...") or the guard later in the game who belts out "Visual contact! Need assistance!" I am also quite partial to ZeroPresence's attitude and demeanor, courtesy of one Keith Williams. Of the foreigners, the ol' New Vision visionary (read: "IRN BRU") is an absolute riot. Prod. Also mad props go out to OiNutter for his...uh..."message."
I'm pretty confident in everything from the neck up.