toked up on PCP and ate a cheerleader

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jcelios
MJ12

toked up on PCP and ate a cheerleader

Post by Jcelios »

I found some old files today going through some old hard drives. I thought some people here might be interested in them.
An old TNM design document
and
A copy of the old Official PDX Story of Stuff!
Gets me all nostalgic just thinking about it. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: toked up on PCP and ate a cheerleader

Post by Jonas »

Shit on a stick that's old.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Thanks dude!
Makes an interesting read. Had a quick glance, seems to be one or two story elements that you guys changed for the final cut. I'll read them some point tomorrow when I'm not half asleep.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

More than one or two.

-

Also, Jonas, the appropriate response is, "Wow, I'm glad you released that. It feels wonderful to have that out there and I'm sure it being available will increase the sales of all future OTP products. I'm sure the developers of Deus Ex would feel the same way if they released their design documents, and I'm sure that the publishers would have their future sales of upcoming products increased."
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah all of that too, but holy damn that's old.

Most of all it has no bloody structure, I mean look at that thing - it's basically just notes. It's like somebody transcribed a brainstorming session, it's full of details but they're completely random ideas with no rhyme or reason as to what was included and what wasn't.

It's also full of typos. It reminds me that one of the best things I ever did was encourage everyone I talked to online to correct any mistakes I made in my English spelling or grammar, so I could get better. I should remember to apply that attitude to all the other aspects of my life, especially the ones where (like with English) I tend to assume I'm damn near perfect.

It's certainly fun to look at though - and I'm actually a little surprised at how many of those details survived as-is all the way up to the final version of the game.

...holy shit I was 15 years old when I wrote that, it's nearly ten years ago. WHAT.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Why the hell does you saying that make me feel old?

Compared to the notes I have about mod ideas I've had, that's a picture of coherency. (Also, it actually has a story, which is more than I can say for any of my ideas.)

I, someone who wasn't involved in the TNM making process at all, was also pretty surprised at how much remained all the way to the final version. It was odd to see things I recognized mixed in with things that were quite different. A lot of the stuff in gray survived word for word which is impressive given how much other stuff changed.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

If it makes you feel better, I was editing some of my code (my augdisplay code, as it happens) and I spotted this comment:

Code: Select all

//find auged folks and print stuff about them. It's like Shane's TNM jobber, only
//presumably shitter, since I'm writing this in fucking august 2005 and haven't
//had a chance to shamelessly steal his code
Trying to work out what's worse: that I haven't fucking just given up and released this shit yet, or that I still haven't actually stolen Shane's code.

:/
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hah! Release it, John. It's not giving up, it's not even finishing it - it's just the start of the patching process ;-)
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Who the fuck is Shane?