First Impressions

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
ZIGS
NSF

Re: First Impressions

Post by ZIGS »

If you think TNM is dark, go play Redsun 2020 :)

Don't get me wrong, I also loved that mod (but that level in the mall... ARGH!!)
Duke Floss
UNATCO

Post by Duke Floss »

I actually think they got the lighting contrast a little better than DX.
http://www.heavyjack.com - Quality Programming ~ Entertainment, News, Reviews, Games and Sports TV with an emphasis on the HEAVY JACK.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Biocells be damned. The first aug upgrade I get goes directly to my light.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That is generally the best option. I always spend so much time fumbling around in vent shafts and sewer tunnels, upgrading the light is easily the best investment in the game :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I have yet to find a single Aug Upgrade :(

It is rather dark, but when I play it with the ENB thing I hope it is not unplayable, with regular DX I am using the light when I almost never did before...
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Is there a medbot anywhere in the downtown district? (I don't need to hear it's location, just whetehr or not there is one).
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I do not think so, I have yet to find one...

The only one I have found is in PDX HQ :(

Did I miss something?
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Jonas wrote:Visit them before talking to Phasmatis and you'll see ;)

Mostly they're there to make it seem like a proper apartment building rather than just one apartment.

WTB more posts like this :D
If you're talking about the PMs where Phas gets annoyed at you getting lost, then yeah, I see, but still, for such a small map it wouldn't be too hard to just set up a few tiny rooms or something. If you look at the apartment building from the outside, in Downtown, then it looks a hell of a lot bigger, but meh, I'm hardly in a position to criticise your mod-making skills :) And what does WTB mean?

Here are some points about the Downtown map; I haven't completely explored this yet so I'm probably missing a lot of things.
- Putting Your Nose In Other People's Business Award; from now on I'm breaking every box, trashbag or bin I see.
- the whole map is exceptional with so much to explore. The fact that I've spent 2 hours on it and still haven't reached the northern-most sector of it shows that.
- the DX mod billboard
- the DX Matrix poster in Rent n Repent Videos
- Spector Street
- the fact that when I got rid of the Noobz gang, it appeared as a news article on the bulletin
- the Invisible Sandwich thing - I'm not quite sure what it's for, but it looks interesting
- SymGeosis

By the way I'm assuming I'm playing the game incredibly slowly compared to most other people - the first map took me just over an hour, and Downtown 2 hours with still loads to explore. How much longer than 15 hours can I expect it to take? What was the expected time for these 2 maps?
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Really enjoying the mod so far! Like half the population of the planet (it seems) I had kept clear of it during development due to worries that it was a big self-insertion-injoke lovefest, but that's mostly not true I'm very pleased to see. In fact, I find the world very surreal, which I love.

Levels are a little large and dark (will there ever be a DX level set during the day?) and I have a few other quibbles (who wouldn't on something this big) but overall I'm amazed. Good job all round!
I've left the board.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Isn't Burden of 80 Proof set entirely in daylight?
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

chris the cynic wrote:Isn't Burden of 80 Proof set entirely in daylight?
Probably, I haven't played many DX mods. :D
I've left the board.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There's a really good reason why DX always takes place during the night: Daylight makes it really hard to sneak.

But uh... you'll see.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Ajare wrote:Levels are a little large and dark (will there ever be a DX level set during the day?)
Keep playing.... ;)
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
TheXGhost
Thug

Post by TheXGhost »

you guys know you can increase the brightness WAY more that you can in Deus Ex, so that you dont always need the flashlight? I keep it at .70, but I have to re-adjust every time I start the mod.
.siht daer ot emit eht koot yllautca uoy eveileb tnac I
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I've been playing the mod for some hours now, and these are my "first" impressions:

+Great catchy music, fits the atmosphere perfectly.
+Awesome Conversations
+Fun missions
+Voice acting
+Beautiful architecture/mapping
+Amount of details
+New gameplay mechanics
+Humour.

-Some small bugs and glitches
-Punishment for doing wrong too harsh*
-A bit too dark in some places.
-Too many inf/inf or inf/100% locked doors.**

*For instance, when I kill somebody on the street, but nobody sees me doing it, the firewall guys still attack me when I return if they found the body. Or when I killed a guard in the basement of the apartments, they knew it was me. But none of the guards had actually seen me doing it (except for the dead guy, but he was kind of... dead).
**For instance, the doors near the guy who claims to be abducted by both WorldCorp and the Goats (as far as I understand). Two inf locked doors, but when I kill Alpha I can use his keys to get there through his Bar... Then why lock them? There's not even anything interesting ot whatever... If you want to protect the back rooms of the bar, why don't lock the back door instead of two different doors for no apparent reason?

Compared to other mods for DX, TNM is I think the best I've ever played. Burden of 80 proof is the only real competitor. Burden was a highly compressed tsunami of awesomeness, whereas your mod is more awesome, but that awesomeness is not as concentrated.