TNM, does it live up to itself?

Discuss The Nameless Mod in a safe, spoiler-free environment.
Warning: Spoilers are punishable by death.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
NO SPOILERS ALLOWED.
Senior Sporf
Mole Person

TNM, does it live up to itself?

Post by Senior Sporf »

It does. Period.

Your efforts with TNM are extravagant! It took seven years to make this mod and it shows, every corner (well not EVERY corner) there is detail, you turn around there is detail. You close your eyes and run in a single direction, you'd hit detail. I can't explain how detailed Forum City is, its simply marvelous how you manage to detail every aspect of the game whether its dialogue, textures, models or gameplay you, the developers of TNM have excelled in all these aspects beyond any mod and Deus Ex itself.

Because there is simply too much detail to summarize in 60,000 words I'll break up into small categories for both your convenience and my sanity.

Gameplay- The gameplay of TNM exceeds that of Deus Ex's, you took one of the best games of all time and you improved it by expanding on the idea of RPG, player-choice, stealth and of course fast paced action. The city of well... Forum City is a free-roamer's dream. It is packed with side-quests, literature to read at leisure, high level of replayability extremely detailed and gigantic landscapes, and action if you look for it. TNM is simply the most playable game I've ever played.

Audio- We all remembered the flawed voice acting of Deus Ex (OMG JC A BOMB), but it redeemed itself with its extremely atmospheric soundtrack. Well TNM's audio wipes the floor with Deus Ex's, with its extremely well done voice acting (Phasmatis' and Scara's were in my opinion the best in the game) and adrenaline pumping theme of the end-stage or anxiety ridden theme of DXI, you'll find at least a few pieces of TNM's audio that would please you. (A tad off-topic, but I had my brother and his fuck buddy had a laugh at TNM's voice acting and called it shit. I then proceeded to tell them to take the piss and play their Oblivion :-^ .)

Graphics- Hey guys put down the knives, I'm not here to go all "OMG TNM GRPHIX R WORSE DEN HALOS!!!111 etc. etc." But instead I found it incredible how you managed to breathe life back into both a old game and ancient engine. Most of the textures and models are flawless, you managed to turn a forum into a epic looking city with detail in every nook and cranny. Most of the weapon models are absolutely kick ass, you can see your attachments to your guns and many are detailed every micrometer and from the katanas to the pistols they both look and feel great for the uses of annihilating goons. However there are a few complaints I have about the textures and a particular gun model. Some textures such as the markings on Trestkon's face and certain doors in the slums and particular signs such as the no guns sign are very blurry and not that eye-appealing. But you guys really did do well will the graphical aspect of TNM.

Story- I'd have to admit I was a tad skeptical about the Internet forum aspect of TNM, and at the time I'd have chose the Cyberpunk option in a heartbeat. But the story itself is amazing, the way you incorporated certain aspects of Deus Ex's internet culture such as DXO's hiding away plotting its devious schemes and DXI the grandpa of all Deus Ex fansites as a ruin being excavated. The story was epic, with a conspiracy just as bone-chilling as JC Denton's world. In the end TNM's story was unique, well crafted and full of twists and conspiracies.

My ending statement is that no matter what you are looking for you'd find something in TNM that will please you and that the developers of this master-piece are the people the videogame industry at the moment lack and is needing of.