I give you, Alpha 1.7.5!!

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

I give you, Alpha 1.7.5!!

Post by Trestkon »

TNM Alpha 1.7.5

That right there is the full length, 427mb Alpha version, baby!!

Don't expect it to be bug free, of course. In fact, I imagine we'll be burning up the bug tracker with new stuff, but hopefully there's no major show stoppers hiding in there. What we'll likely do it just release patches if major bugs come up that actually prevent testing. It'll give me a chance to iron out the patching code as well as save people the time of re-uploading/downloading that beast.

We'd like everyone to pay particular attention to the dialog in the conversations. Brock's acting troupe is starting up recordings again this week, and I really want to have all our conversations finalized and checked as many times as possible before I dispatch them for recording.

I just hope I don't wake up tomorrow to find out that the Alpha doesn't even work...I think that happened with the last version :p

*stays up to wait for ZP and Shacker to test it just in case*

[Jonas edit below - Apologies for editing your post Trest, but I want this to be at the top.]

Testing Alpha 1.7.5

While testing the latest alpha, there are a few things we ask you to pay special attention to apart from the usual very obvious bugs:
  • Difficulty - Does an area have way too many enemies? Is somebody just way too bloody hard to kill? Does the game become an absolute walk in the park as soon as you retrieve Trestkon's pistols?
  • Item availability - Did you get stuck because you ran out of lockpicks or multitools? Did you carry a specific weapon all the way through the game without ever using it because the ammo was so bloody scarce? Were you swimming in medkits by the end of the game?
  • Information flow - Are you getting as much info as you need? Are you sorely missing a map of a specific area? Do you need more PM's somewhere to tell you what to do?
  • Killing important characters - Did you kill somebody important without ever hearing about it again? (Remember to check the bulletin computers and don't report this one until you've played through mission 22 (everything between DXI and ABI).
  • General feedback level - Did you do something important and significant which completely failed to provoke a reaction? Do you feel that somebody should at least have acknowledged your actions, possibly even rewarding them?
  • Goal updates - By the end of the game, were you still carrying around any uncompleted goals from previous missions? Did you manage to render a secondary mission uncompletable (eg. by killing the quest giver) but the goal wasn't updated?
  • Door strength - If you have the time, try whacking every door you come across and see if its destructability more or less matches its material.
Remember, no glitch is too small to deserve a post. Even typo corrections are welcome.

Known bugs and omissions

In hindsight, I believe there were a few things we forgot to fix, just as there are a few things we are yet to implement.
  • I'm not sure you can actually get the rocket launcher schematics from Dr. Dumb Lunatic when he offers them to you. This is because Ricemanu hasn't created the datavault image yet, and I forgot to add a placeholder. Feel free to manually add the flag HAS_QuadLauncherPlans if you know how to use the Legend menu.
  • Admiral Justin's cutscene in M22 is supposed to take Kevo's body from you and place it on the slab - this doesn't happen... yet.
  • Last time I tested, Ricemanu doesn't actually respond as he should when you send the signal in ABI (in the WC storyline). You will need to use the opensesame cheat to open the gates (or take the alternate route).
  • Killing Hao Niu-rou effectively prevents you from entering the ABI interior, if I recall correctly. At some point we will give him a datavault image that updates your goals when you take it from his corpse, similarly to what we did with Kevo and Vavrek in mission 22.
  • A couple of datavault maps are yet to be made, but we have included placeholders for now.
  • In our final map, the Space Station command centre, nobody is hostile. In fact that map is still a placeholder, it will be cleaned up, polished, and completed as soon as possible.
!!!IMPORTANT!!!

If you receive a GPF, or a crash of any kind, upload your TNM.log (found in DeusEx\System) in addition to a screenshot of the crash window. It's quite important.
Last edited by Trestkon on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

I'll report my first findings here.

I noticed this right off the bat, I think Phasmatis should say the location of his apartment as follows "It's on the fourth floor on the right." It sounds like he's at first saying it's on the right when you first walk in... then he just tags in on the end of his statement "fourth floor."

When in a conversation, I noticed an extra space between the text and the game world, like someone was typing into the black area, but tabbed down to the next line before putting the text in.

The first chemical I picked up... it uh, it was above my head? When running my view bob showed the model for the chemical slightly above my view.

AND FINALLY! THE FIRST GPF!!!

NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

Nothing to report yet but the GPF makes me sad. What's the cache size at now?
NVShacker
Are you still there?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ZeroPresence wrote:I noticed this right off the bat, I think Phasmatis should say the location of his apartment as follows "It's on the fourth floor on the right." It sounds like he's at first saying it's on the right when you first walk in... then he just tags in on the end of his statement "fourth floor."
Done.
When in a conversation, I noticed an extra space between the text and the game world, like someone was typing into the black area, but tabbed down to the next line before putting the text in.
I don't understand what you mean.
AND FINALLY! THE FIRST GPF!!!
I'm quite prepared to blame that on you. Remember all the times I told you not to make the map too complicated? Well this is what happens when you ignore that and make it way way waaaay too complicated! But check your TNM.ini and report your CacheSizeMegs value, please.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

His cache size is 16 megs, I asked him last night. If we can reproduce it we can test out a slightly higher cache size and see if that fixes it.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

yeah well its the best city map.

Anyway, I noticed that when you stand in front of Phasmatis' TV he no longer says "move, please." same with the two businessmen sitting in the TV room of Sol's Bar. We should definitely fix that since it's just a nice little feature.

My damn aug player skips like fucking crazy. Does this happen to everyone?

When you pickup the throwing foons off a person, there's no icon. It just says in the middle of your screen "YOU FOUND: " but you can still look up and read "You received the throwing foons." CORRECTION: It's just when you already have the weapon in your inventory and pickup the "ammo."

People are getting stuck on 16 unit high steps. The Fan Fic shop is a nightmare, and I'm currently watching a goat walk in place on a matress.

Throwing people from a high place kills them. Nice...

In the security room of the hotel, there are TWO coffee cups on the desk in front of the security camera guard. Meaning there's one on top of the other.

That area you blow open, there's nothin' there.
Last edited by ZeroPresence on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ZeroPresence wrote:My damn aug player skips like fucking crazy. Does this happen to everyone?
No, but many others. We should experiment with decreasing the bitrate of the tracks.
People are getting stuck on 16 unit high steps. The Fan Fic shop is a nightmare, and I'm currently watching a goat walk in place on a matress.
Fucking stupid-ass path finding.
Throwing people from a high place kills them. Nice...
That's not a bug... :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

I'm sorry that I'm late to the party. My internet sucks, so its taking me forever to download the Alpha. :(
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

to get past that steps business you could try placing invisible smaller steps in between. Not sure if that would help.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There's a maxstepheight somewhere, but it doesn't appear in TNMPawn so I don't know what it defaults to. I think this is a path issue though.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Another GPF. In Raving's Weapon Shop.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

TNM won't work from Steam without some additional tweaking on the user's side. The DeusEx.exe file on the steam install is different from the DeusEx.exe file you get when you install the game from a CD. I don't know what was done to it (other than getting it to check for Steam), but the Steam DeusEx.exe clocks in at 62.5KB, while the standard DeusEx.exe comes in as 248KB!

I was able to get TNM to run from the Steam install by replacing TNM.exe (a copy of the 62.5KB EXE) with a copy of TNM.exe made from a renamed regular 248KB EXE.

Unfortunately, I received the following error after trying to play TNM on Vista through the DX Steam install:

I don't know why, but it looks like it might be related to Vista and the way it handles audio; I know the audio stack in Vista is different than the one in XP, but then again I could be way off. Just my two cents in case this error has you going "O_o wtf?!"
Last edited by Master_Kale on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

oh yeah... I forgot you can install it via steam, shoot man I'll mail you my DX CD so you can install it independently if you send it back. lol
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

ZeroPresence wrote:oh yeah... I forgot you can install it via steam, shoot man I'll mail you my DX CD so you can install it independently if you send it back. lol
lol, dude, I already have my own CD copy, I just wanted to get TNM to work with the Steam version :P