music

Stare in awe at the fascinating machinations of the TNM team during the last two years of production, this was our private forum.

Moderator: TNM Team

ahmatron
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

music

Post by ahmatron »

Hi everybody

First of all: Really great work with TNM.

I'm a musician from Denmark (Like Jonas) - and a fan of DX!

I've all new to making music to computer games - so if you have some comments...please say so ;-)
Normally I play the bass in a couple of bands...so this is a whole new world

I've just uploadet 2 tracks for the FC Corporate level:

-----------------------------ambient1--------------------------------------
:arrow: tnm.offtopicproductions.com/teamftp/Ahmatron/FC_Corporate_Ambient.ogg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------ambient 2 hostile------------------------------
:arrow: tnm.offtopicproductions.com/teamftp/Ahmatron/FC_Corporate_Ambient2.ogg

NEW: --------------------------combat--------------------------------------
:arrow: tnm.offtopicproductions.com/teamftp/Ahmatron/FC_Corporate_Combat.ogg

NEW: -----------------------conversation---------------------------------------
:arrow: tnm.offtopicproductions.com/teamftp/Ahmatron/FC_Corporate_Conversation.ogg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW: ---------------------------Death-----------------------------
:arrow: tnm.offtopicproductions.com/teamftp/Ahmatron/FC_Corporate_Death.ogg
----------------------------------------------------------------------

New:-----------------------------FC Slum--------------------------------
:!: WORKING ON IT tnm.offtopicproductions.com/teamftp/Ahmatron/FC_Slums_Ambient_TOTAL.ogg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

New:-----------------------------FC SEwers--------------------------------
:!: WORKING ON IT tnm.offtopicproductions.com/teamftp/Ahmatron/FC_CorpSewers_Ambient.ogg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said feel free to comment.

- Martin a.k.a. ahmatron
Last edited by ahmatron on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 14 times in total.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I like them both. One thing you should consider is how you want your tracks to loop. Typically we have 2 oggs for one track: the intro and loop. You want the loop to be able to loop moderately seemlessly.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

that guy wrote:I like them both. One thing you should consider is how you want your tracks to loop. Typically we have 2 oggs for one track: the intro and loop. You want the loop to be able to loop moderately seemlessly.
Yeah, we hadn't explained that yet, but it's all sorted out, now:)
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

I used to play bass, but I couldnt do it right now to save my life. Just like I couldnt play a violin anymore, lol.

Goodluck on the music, brosive.
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

Hi Martin.

Just been having a listen, and am really enjoying your stuff. Keep up the good work (well not so good in future as you might show me up ;))

Steve.
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

After having a quick chat with the mighty Jonas, he did ask me if I would pass on a couple of comments / tips. So I hope you don't mind. As I say I really like what you have done and look forward to more stuff :)

On the combat and conversation lenghts, in my experience, you want to go for something like 1 1/2 minutes for combat and 2 to 2 1/2 for conversation. I've donw quite a few of these tracks over the last few years and have learnt that. Cerainlt with the combat, your hard work never gets heard if it's too long (in my case, the Death music quite a bit!).

Lenghts of Ambients are good and I'm loving your whole Deus Ex feel :)

I would like to say that in my opinion, the latest Slum one is a little repetetive, and could probably do with going off into something a bit different for a minute or 2. The reason for that, is you have to realise that people spend a long time in maps, and from my expereience get annoyed if you don't break the tune up a little in to something different, even if it is just a key change or something. Mind you, I got very chilled out listening to it :)

Anyway, hope you don't mind me commenting like this, feel free to comment on my stuff too ;)

Keep it up.

Cheers.

Steve.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

*realizes that Martin has been updating his original post with more music*

*screams and runs to download it*
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Martin,

I love that combat music, it has such a different feel to it, a bit retroish, almost:D The death and covo tracks also rocked!

The slums one I liked too, reminds me a bit of Donkey Kong country for some reason :) As to Oraks comment about it being a bit repetative, perhaps it was, but I still loved the ambience.
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

Trestkon wrote:As to Oraks comment about it being a bit repetative, perhaps it was, but I still loved the ambience.
Don't get me wrong I still loved it :) In fact I did wonder whether it mattered - it's almost hypnotic; I mentioned it to Jonas and said to leave it to you and he to decide.....then he forced me to post here :shock: (;))
ahmatron
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ahmatron »

Thanks for all the comments :D

And it's also great with some constructive feedback Orak

I haven't been able to play the levels with the music on my computer due to the soundcard problem mentioned in the audio thread...so I haven't heard if the music works in reality. But the sound card problem has been solved now.

I think you're completely right with repetitive issue, it has been a minor concern of mine - but I'm shure gonna look into that now.
ahmatron
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ahmatron »

Done 8)

All the tracks to FC Corporate level are finished, and the loops should be ok...so let me know if you think something's not good enough or should be changed
ahmatron
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ahmatron »

Orak wrote:
Trestkon wrote:As to Oraks comment about it being a bit repetative, perhaps it was, but I still loved the ambience.
Don't get me wrong I still loved it :) In fact I did wonder whether it mattered - it's almost hypnotic; I mentioned it to Jonas and said to leave it to you and he to decide.....then he forced me to post here :shock: (;))
I've have changed the Slum ambient track quite a bit....I think it is less repetative

http://tnm.offtopicproductions.com/team ... _TOTAL.ogg

I know the track is rather long, but the first minute is the intro part, and then the loop starts from where the drums begin
Orak
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Orak »

One thing to say about the slum music - superb! I love it. The changes are a great improvement - I particularly like the bit at around 4 1/2 minutes :)

I also just listened to all of the Corporate stuff and I'm loving it all :) especially Ambient 1. - very cool.

The comment I'd still make is that I feel conversation piece is a bit short or maybe the loop sorting out a bit? Nothing major.

Keep up the excellent work and you might gee me up in to writing some of my best to try and best you ;)

Can I ask what you write one - do you use a seqeuncer, what virtual instruments (if any) etc? I'm always interested. Did you pinch some Deus Ex samples, or are you just good at sounding like ;)

Cheers.
ahmatron
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ahmatron »

Orak wrote:One thing to say about the slum music - superb! I love it. The changes are a great improvement - I particularly like the bit at around 4 1/2 minutes :)

I also just listened to all of the Corporate stuff and I'm loving it all :) especially Ambient 1. - very cool.

The comment I'd still make is that I feel conversation piece is a bit short or maybe the loop sorting out a bit? Nothing major.

Keep up the excellent work and you might gee me up in to writing some of my best to try and best you ;)

Can I ask what you write one - do you use a seqeuncer, what virtual instruments (if any) etc? I'm always interested. Did you pinch some Deus Ex samples, or are you just good at sounding like ;)

Cheers.

I'll look into the conversation track. Perhaps you're right...

I use Reason a lot...if you don't know it you should check it out. It's imo the best program regarding drum loops, synths and samples. But unfortunately it has got a pretty steep learning curve...and I'm still a rookie ;)

I haven't used any DX samples...great idea...but perhaps I should ;)
ahmatron
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ahmatron »

I've made a track for the sewers...it's a specific mood I've tried to reach, and not a great music track. So perhaps it's a bit borring to listen to, but I've tried it in game and it fits the level just great...spooky :shock:

tnm.offtopicproductions.com/teamftp/Ahmatron/FC_CorpSewers_Ambient.ogg

Comments?