The Latest - State of the project

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Undisputed
UNATCO

Re: The Latest - State of the project

Post by Undisputed »

Jonas wrote:It's Project Hyperion.
http://offtopicproductions.com/otpwp/projects/
Will it be a more "serious" game? (no offense)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh yeah. It's all about Project Hyperion, and how his life got flip turned into a lack of relative spacial directions. Mr. Hyperion is a cadet on the Bigship Alpha, sent on a mission by the Earth Government in search of Carbon after the Earth ran out. Thanks to a new technology exploiting the zero point field, empty space can be converted into oxygen, allowing the Bigship to be powered by the still-abundant coal, but it causes the ship exterior to rust as in the screenshot. When Cadet Hyperion is kidnapped, it's your job to wonder why.
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

justanotherfan wrote:in search of Carbon after the Earth ran out.
sif run out of carbon
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

It'll happen, and Earth's civilizations will go to great lengths to find more carbon, like burning off some of the tremendous reserves of coal to find some carbon in space. If you had no carbon, you'd disappear too, just like young space cadet Project Hyperion.

I don't want to give away the ending, but the coal is people!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:in search of Carbon after the Earth ran out [...] still-abundant coal
Um... does not compute :P

You do realise what coal is composed of, right?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Jonas wrote:You do realise what coal is composed of, right?
People!

And yeah. Coal is carbon, Earth's life is carbon based, and zero-point energy would be used to create carbon as much as oxygen. It's a hole in the Project Hyperion plot you really should fix.
ghostdog
Thug

Post by ghostdog »

justanotherfan wrote:
Jonas wrote:You do realise what coal is composed of, right?
People!
OMG ! Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them! We've gotta stop them somehow!
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

ghostdog wrote: OMG ! Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them! We've gotta stop them somehow!
And that must be the plot of project Hyperion.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

BoggyP wrote:And that must be the plot of project Hyperion.
No actually it must be the plot of Soylent Green.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

It's Chocolate! It's People! It's both!
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

Jonas wrote:
BoggyP wrote:And that must be the plot of project Hyperion.
No actually it must be the plot of Soylent Green.
I know 8) two of my friends told me about it. But that would make a good game maybe that's the plot. They send ships full of people to search for carbon but it's a trap to get those humans alone and harvest them for pure carbon ;)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

BoggyP wrote:They send ships full of people to search for carbon but it's a trap to get those humans alone and harvest them for pure carbon ;)
Hmm, I gave away the ending. It's mostly an open secret that the humans are harvested; all you have to do is follow the corpse truck to the carbon factory. If you haven't seen the movie this won't make sense.

Project Hyperion is basically Soylent Green, but virtualized in a dynamic scalable online video feed. When you enter the game, type into the console "iwastrestkon" and you gain +20 dancing skill, but if you misspell it you catch fire.
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

justanotherfan wrote:
BoggyP wrote:They send ships full of people to search for carbon but it's a trap to get those humans alone and harvest them for pure carbon ;)
Hmm, I gave away the ending. It's mostly an open secret that the humans are harvested; all you have to do is follow the corpse truck to the carbon factory. If you haven't seen the movie this won't make sense.

Project Hyperion is basically Soylent Green, but virtualized in a dynamic scalable online video feed. When you enter the game, type into the console "iwastrestkon" and you gain +20 dancing skill, but if you misspell it you catch fire.
I like the idea of programing every possible letter combination other than "iwastrestkon" making you be set on fire though. I support that.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

BoggyP wrote: I like the idea of programing every possible letter combination other than "iwastrestkon" making you be set on fire though. I support that.
if (input==iwastrestkon)
player.adddancing(20)
else
player.setonfire()

:P
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

(damn, took too long, Jaedar got there first)
Set input => X
If x != "iwastrestkon"
Then set playercharacter = onprettyfire

That's all the Hyperion console is there for. True fans will misspell it anyway to see the new "User Carbonification" fire effect. It's truly beautiful graphically, but hardware-intensive so don't do it if you're overclocking, unless you want to help with the carbon shortage or can summon fireextinguisher in real life.

I should probably add a disclaimer after all of this. As an unacknowledged official representative of Off Topic Productions, I make sweeping statements that are all true and act as promises of OTP regarding the finished product. The release date is set for a tomorrow. The large space boat in the Hyperion artwork is an unsinkable ship with a two year warranty (expressed and implied).

It's really more like Starlight Express than Soylent Green, since the coal powered starships are obsoleting electrics since voltage provides little thrust in space, except the coal is people so you really want the clunky old electric motor to get the girl in the end.