Recently got to look at this mod...

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

ggrotz
X-51

Recently got to look at this mod...

Post by ggrotz »

...and I found it very impressive, at least for running through Liberty Island/UNATCO (how far I got so far). Put this along with HDTP with regular DX and tweaked it to widescreen along with max resolution...the difference was amazing!

Except for the GEP gun (and probably plasma and flamethrower too, but I haven't tried any of those yet) - I wonder if a fix for that problem will come from somewhere (HDTP probably given what I understand the scope of the two projects are) for widescreen purposes? Or am I not finding one?
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Re: Recently got to look at this mod...

Post by Hassat Hunter »

You mean that the GEP kind of "floats" and is not connected to the screen? You should be able to fix that with setting the FOV different.

I forgot the proper "cheat" code though.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

No, it's because of the FOV adjustment that you have that problem. You need the FOV adjustment there or you end up looking at a 1280x1024 screen stretched out over 1440x900 or whatever, which means "land of the fat faces": the FOV adjustment adds the peripheral vision a widescreen view would have. Of course, the models were never designed with this in mind, so don't have polys that go beyond the edges of the canonical screen aspect ratio ('cause what would be the point?)....it's the same for quite a few weapons: even the knife I believe shows a tiny bit of "hollow arm syndrome" when slashing out in widescreen.

Not really a lot you can do about it other than suspend disbelief, or simply don't play in widescreen.. :P
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Fov 120. Clearly something wrong
Shot0189.jpg
Fov 80. Doesn't look too bad to me. What's so fat about his face?
Shot0190.jpg
Cheatcode:
Fov XXX

Personally I have it on 80. Works fine on 1440x900.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
DDL

Post by DDL »

Well that'd be because you're using fov 120 (!!!!).

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Deus_Ex

Even at 16:9 you never need to go higher than 91. For 16:10 I use 85, which is fine, though as noted you see a tiny bit of "Ooops no polys" at the edge of the gep.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

DDL wrote:which means "land of the fat faces"
Deus Ex actually is set in the future America.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

DDL wrote:Of course, the models were never designed with this in mind, so don't have polys that go beyond the edges of the canonical screen aspect ratio ('cause what would be the point?)....it's the same for quite a few weapons: even the knife I believe shows a tiny bit of "hollow arm syndrome" when slashing out in widescreen.

Not really a lot you can do about it other than suspend disbelief, or simply don't play in widescreen.. :P
What's been described is what I'm talking about. Of course, widescreen monitors didn't exist when DX came out, so it wasn't thought of. And indeed, if I don't do the FOV adjustment (90), I end up with the distorted picture, along with parts of the HUD cut off.

Indeed, nothing wrong that it happens, but definitely laudable I'm sure if it were fixed eventually :)
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

justanotherfan wrote:
DDL wrote:which means "land of the fat faces"
Deus Ex actually is set in America.
Fixed ^^
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Thank you.

[/sarcasm]

In fact a post collapse America is likely to have the obesity problems solved. It is through mass production of cheap unhealthy food that America has achieved its stunning problems with people being overweight. It simply costs too much to buy healthy food so if you don't have a lot of money and don't want to feel like you're starving, or worse still actually be starving, you buy the cheap food, which makes you fat.

After a collapse the fast food culture will likely take a major hit for a variety of reasons (for example much of it depends on corn subsidies, if the government finds it doesn't have the money to subsidize corn giant portions of the production process collapse) meaning that the cheap fattening food that contributes to the obesity problem would no longer exist. As such we would likely see a return to poorer people being quite skinny, with no reason to assume overweight people to be common in any income bracket.

In Deus Ex the United States is almost dead, fighting a civil war, and being invaded. There's likely to be a lot fewer fat people (both overall and as a percentage of the population) than we currently observe.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Just a joke :). I'm not a thin person myself.

That's true, there were no fat people in Deus Ex that I can recall. Neat, when game limitations alter the image. ISTR Everett having a potbelly.

Post-collapse, people would have less food. I won't try to make guesses about the USA agricultural subsidy system though since it's huge and I don't know it well enough.

Who was invading the USA in Deus Ex? I've forgotten.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Mexico, with the help of Russia. Apparently they wanted their land back.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Depends how you define fat. Maggie Chow's maid is what I'd call fat, though she wasn't morbidly obese. Everett was using a mesh labelled "fat" too, but your perspective may vary I suppose.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Jonas wrote:Maggie Chow's maid is what I'd call fat.
Question when ever I meet her is, Flame Thrower or the DT locked behind...

Flame Thrower. :twisted: (because there's a bug that makes her and maggie suicide- plus even funnier it lights the entire apartment on fire.).