How can I run New Vision alongside Revision and HDTP?

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Danny
Mole Person

How can I run New Vision alongside Revision and HDTP?

Post by Danny »

I know they are all compatible, but say I run Revision; I only get revision.
I run normal Deus Ex; I get new vision and none of the others.
I run HDTP; I only get HDTP.

How can I run them all together?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: How can I run New Vision alongside Revision and HDTP?

Post by Jaedar »

Hmm. you should get NV even when you run Revision or HDTP at least if you replaces the original textures(but backuping first I hope :)), I seem to recall you could do it with .ini changes as well, if so, you just need to make the same .ini changes to HDTP.ini or Revision.ini. Otherwise, I don't know why it isn't working since all mods should use the files in Deus Ex/Textures.

As for Revision+HDTP... I have no idea, someone else might though. (Can't even remember what revision does :oops: )
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Revision replaces the maps. http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision
You could, go into the Revision maps folder, copy the maps and paste them back into the Default Deus Ex Maps folder?
Otherwise i'm not sure.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Compare the Revision and HDTP ini files, there are some HDTP settings that you will need to transfer. For NV, that depends on whether or not you have replaced your original textures. If you did ... it should already work. If you didn't, then NV will have it's own ini settings as well.

Can't be more specific right now as I'm at work.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

To use the HDTP models without launching the HDTP .exe, go to the HDTP\Textures folder, and copy HDTPanim.utx to the DeusEx\textures folder (presumably, the same would work for Revision, just put it in Revision's textures if it doesn't work from DX's) then you get HDTP without having to run the specific HDTP .exe. As for New Vision it's just textures, so it should probably also go into respective texture folders.
dains
Thug

Post by dains »

I know this is old, but I just wanted to put in that I'm running NV with Revision 1.3, and it's working with the default installations for both. And by "working", I mean they look FANTASTIC together :)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I'm going to bump this just to put a guide on how to get the NewVision 1.0 to work with HDTP

Step 1: Install NVTextures
Step 2: Install NVHotfix
Step 3: Install HDTP
Step 4: Move DeusEx .u to DeusEx\System and Overwrite (be sure to backup your original)
Step 5: Copy over HDTPanim.utx to DeusEx\NVTextures

Should work then.

Should also try it with TNM just to write up a guide on how to do it.
We should also try it with other mods just to see how to get them working.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Why are you moving DeusEx.U anywhere? It should just be a case of adding the NVTexture path line to each mod's .INI.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

yeah that might be an un-necessary step, I thought there was elements there that HDTP needed. Anyway that's the steps I took to get it to work and its working completely fine. HDTP release one doesn't actually have a .ini so I couldn't just edit it. I think its actually located inside of DeusEx.u for the path dependencies.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I haven't downloaded the NVv1 yet so I don't know what the name of the folder the new textures are saved in or how the installation works, but this is what my current deusex.ini looks like:

Code: Select all

Paths=..\Revision\System\*.u
Paths=..\Revision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Revision\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Revision\Sounds\*.uax
Paths=..\HDTP\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\Shifter\System\*.u
Paths=..\Shifter\Textures\*.utx
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\NewVision\Textures\*.utx
This allows all four mods to work on the normal .exe without overwriting anything and the only backup I made was of the .ini.
Or did with the NV beta. I'll need to check how the new version is installed.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

That's very helpful actually. I should try it out with TNM.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Actually, for those who didn't want to use Shifter (Or New Vision and HDTP for that matter but I can't see why they wouldn't), if they installed via this method of just sticking things in said folders above and added this line to the deusex.ini, it would only install them to that .exe.
Whereas if you wanted these mods with TNM, you would just add these paths to the TNM.ini.
I haven't tried it yet but it should, in theory, work. This method could also be applied to the eventual New Vision map pack and simply add Paths=..\NewVision\Maps\*.dx above the Revision lines allow you to pick and choose between the two projects.

What we really need is a simple program GUI program, Similar to kenties .exe but instead that allows the user to disable and enable certain mods and projects by just ticking a box. I'm not sure how to go about doing that but I can't imagine it would be massively difficult to get a program to add and remove lines of text from a .txt/.ini file.
It would also avoid confusion between similar projects. For example, under the 'maps' section, users would have to choose whether to add the NVMapPack or Revision. Not both.
I'll look into it. But having very minute amounts of Programming knowledge in my head, it might take some time to figure something out.
Off to Google I go!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:Actually, for those who didn't want to use Shifter (Or New Vision and HDTP for that matter but I can't see why they wouldn't), if they installed via this method of just sticking things in said folders above and added this line to the deusex.ini, it would only install them to that .exe.
Whereas if you wanted these mods with TNM, you would just add these paths to the TNM.ini.
I haven't tried it yet but it should, in theory, work. This method could also be applied to the eventual New Vision map pack and simply add Paths=..\NewVision\Maps\*.dx above the Revision lines allow you to pick and choose between the two projects.

What we really need is a simple program GUI program, Similar to kenties .exe but instead that allows the user to disable and enable certain mods and projects by just ticking a box. I'm not sure how to go about doing that but I can't imagine it would be massively difficult to get a program to add and remove lines of text from a .txt/.ini file.
It would also avoid confusion between similar projects. For example, under the 'maps' section, users would have to choose whether to add the NVMapPack or Revision. Not both.
I'll look into it. But having very minute amounts of Programming knowledge in my head, it might take some time to figure something out.
Off to Google I go!
I do mention this somewhere on ModDB (that all you need to do is add the extra path line in each mod .ini to make the mod work with New Vision).

Actually, the guy who was going to do the installer for DeusEx was going to write such a program. I outlined what it would need to do to work, but I assume he got too busy or forgot about it since I never heard anything else from him after a while.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

DaveW wrote:Actually, the guy who was going to do the installer for DeusEx was going to write such a program. I outlined what it would need to do to work, but I assume he got too busy or forgot about it since I never heard anything else from him after a while.
Can you forward that to me? I might have some time to look into it this week (if I'm not too busy playing the game that is).
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

EER wrote:
DaveW wrote:Actually, the guy who was going to do the installer for DeusEx was going to write such a program. I outlined what it would need to do to work, but I assume he got too busy or forgot about it since I never heard anything else from him after a while.
Can you forward that to me? I might have some time to look into it this week (if I'm not too busy playing the game that is).
Bugger, yes I remember you offered to do it but by that time I think this guy was already working on it. Then he disappeared and I just forgot about it. I'll forward it all to you once I'm done editing an instruction video on installing it all manually :P