July 30

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

flib
Thug

July 30

Post by flib »

No release today?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: July 30

Post by justanotherfan »

Apparently not yet. How could New Vision miss releasing on Vanuatu's Independence Day?

Any particular reason you expected new downloads today?
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

I like how ModDB throws salt on the wound by saying "Released Jul 30, 2011".
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Interesting, I didn't know there was a release date set. Also, it seems the ModDB crowd is severely disappointed by the 'missed' release date. Oh well.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'm not sure Dave knew he'd set a date.
But yes, alot of people were discussing the wait on Moddb and how they were 'depressed' it wasn't released. :lol:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

I could have sworn I saw a post he made early last month saying something like "I should be able to release it this week" or something and I figured that he set that July 30th release to give himself a bit of padding.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh yeah, I remember something like that. Well, the consolation is that NV is that close to release. Dave's been great keeping us up to date.

Interesting how DX mods use moddb the way companies use facebook. OTP hosting is cool. At least NV will help ModDBer's depression with full release soon.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I think Dave was going to release what he had done *at that time*. Thankfully for all of us he has continued his talented efforts. I don't think people should be too upset with a delay if it means more content.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

flib wrote:I could have sworn I saw a post he made early last month saying something like "I should be able to release it this week" or something and I figured that he set that July 30th release to give himself a bit of padding.
Yes, I can confirm that.

I get always anxious when I don't see DaveW around for several days.... :-? Last time he wrote here was the 8th of July. Not just yesterday...
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

Update from DaveW on ModDB:
DaveW wrote:Entirely my cock up - for some reason, I thought I set it for this coming weekend. I couldn't have made the release for this weekend because it was my girlfriend's birthday and I wasn't home!

I'm trying to get the release ready for the next few days.
=D>
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

For some reason in my head the 31st was actually next weekend. Considering I had to book train tickets to go see my Girlfriend this past weekend (30th-31st) and it's my birthday next weekend, I don't know how I did that. But yeah.

The thing holding up the release is animated textures. Partly because I have to re-export a few of them because they have corrupt frames, but mostly because of how UnrealEd detects animated textures. Anything with A00, A01 etc. as a suffix is detected as an animated texture, so I can import 60 frames of these easily. But a lot of the animated textures are instead called things like BW_SatPic_B00, which isn't automatically detected. So I have to go through each of the textures and manually assign the next frame. CoreTexMisc has the most animated textures, at about 1000 frames of animation - a lot of which need manually assigning.

I'm hoping to get through it tonight and start the upload tonight but it's basically a massive pain in the ass.
flib
Thug

Post by flib »

Thanks for the update, DaveW! Sorry to hear that UED is being difficult. I take it that UED2 wouldn't help with that?
I'm really looking forward to this. :smile:
I believe that this will be making DX history by being the first complete HD mod ever released released for it!
drt1245
Mole Person

Post by drt1245 »

Sounds awesome.
Can't wait.
Massaca
NSF

Post by Massaca »

DaveW wrote:I'm hoping to get through it tonight and start the upload tonight but it's basically a massive pain in the ass.
That's great news but don't rush it now. I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to make a simple mistake renaming so many files. Besides, I'm sure people can wait a couple extra days.

Either way, =D>
In a world without rules, danmaku is nonsense. ~ Marisa Kirisame
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

DaveW wrote:For some reason in my head the 31st was actually next weekend. Considering I had to book train tickets to go see my Girlfriend this past weekend (30th-31st) and it's my birthday next weekend, I don't know how I did that. But yeah.

The thing holding up the release is animated textures. Partly because I have to re-export a few of them because they have corrupt frames, but mostly because of how UnrealEd detects animated textures. Anything with A00, A01 etc. as a suffix is detected as an animated texture, so I can import 60 frames of these easily. But a lot of the animated textures are instead called things like BW_SatPic_B00, which isn't automatically detected. So I have to go through each of the textures and manually assign the next frame. CoreTexMisc has the most animated textures, at about 1000 frames of animation - a lot of which need manually assigning.

I'm hoping to get through it tonight and start the upload tonight but it's basically a massive pain in the ass.
Wow, I can't believe this is actually happening. You're a very generous man, we haven't done anything to deserve all the effort you put into this. Thank you for all the hard work and hours =D>