Game randomly going 100% black

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

neokeitaro
Mole Person

Game randomly going 100% black

Post by neokeitaro »

Hello everyone!

First, congrats to Dave for finally releasing the full version of new vision! Having done some texture work myself in the past, I'm in awe with the quality of the pack. (I love the HK textures especially for some reason)

That said, something is making my playthrough a bit annoying: the game goes, completely randomly, completely black once in a while. The sound still works, the game works as usual, except it's all black. The menus work though, as do the subtitles.

It may or may not be related to New Vision (actually, I think there's a good chance it's not, but I don't know for sure.). I use kentie's Dx10 renderer, I have New Vision, HDTP, Deus ex enhanced 1.3 and Shifter 1.8.4 installed. My graphic card is a MSI 560ti and I use a I5 2500k. I read somewhere this was related to the anti-aliasing, so I changed it from 16 to 4, and it didn't solve anything. Recently, I've been underwater a lot (in HK), and the problem got worse: basically the game wouldn't last 3 minutes without turning black at some point. Never at the same place though.

I'm a bit lost and this is annoying, ruining an otherwise amazing game experience. Anyone got any ideas?
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: Game randomly going 100% black

Post by nerdenstein »

I have exactly the same issue.
I've been trying to narrow down the issue too.

I'm pretty sure it's too so with the DX10 Renderer:
Do you have HDR lighting enabled? That is to say, do you have ClassicLighting Disabled in the renderer settings?
I think it has something too do with that.

I've had a similar issue with some Source Mods that were built on an older version of Source. The game going completely black but the HUD and menus remain. The way I fixed that was turning the HDR off in the settings there too so I can only assume it's the same thing.
I've only just reached Hong Kong so I've only had it a few times previous to this. When it happens, just save and restart the game.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
neokeitaro
Mole Person

Post by neokeitaro »

Yes, HDR is enabled... I guess if you don't have that problem when it's disabled it's probably it. I wish there was a workaround though, the game is so prettyyyyy now :(
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I haven't sat and played the game long enough to know if it is that but that is what I assume it is.
As for how to fix it however; I have no idea. :-s
neokeitaro
Mole Person

Post by neokeitaro »

Been playing a few hours without HDR, no black screen anymore. I guess it's still a bit buggy. Heh, at least I found a way to enjoy the game without issues. Thanks!
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

No problem. It's a shame we have to lose the lovely HDR lighting in the meantime but it's better than an annoying game stopping bug. :)