New Vision Mod Installer

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Nate53085
Mole Person

New Vision Mod Installer

Post by Nate53085 »

I know I dissapeared for a while, but I'm back

Here is the first cut of the installer. It concerns itself with file dropping only (does not yet setup the mod, you will still need to edit DeusEx.ini to do this): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SOY5B9ZG

If people could run the installer, let me know of any problems. Also attempt uninstallation.

I'm currently working on a small program to enable/disable the mod.

The installer could use some art. Anyone interested?

Last but not least, its likely that the megaupload link won't last forever. Has anyone thought about a better distribution method? Somewhere to host it?
Salk
UNATCO

Re: New Vision Mod Installer

Post by Salk »

Welcome back, Nate!

Good job with the installer. Hopefully in a not too distant future, there will be need for it also to distribute and install the map fixes. For upload, I recommend Gamefront. It's fast and reliable.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Nate53085 wrote:I know I dissapeared for a while, but I'm back

Here is the first cut of the installer. It concerns itself with file dropping only (does not yet setup the mod, you will still need to edit DeusEx.ini to do this): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SOY5B9ZG

If people could run the installer, let me know of any problems. Also attempt uninstallation.

I'm currently working on a small program to enable/disable the mod.

The installer could use some art. Anyone interested?

Last but not least, its likely that the megaupload link won't last forever. Has anyone thought about a better distribution method? Somewhere to host it?
I'd give it a shot but my internet connection is so bloody slow, it means downloading it all again.

What I will say is; that once Dave has seen it and is happy with it, he'll probably upload it too Moddb along with an updated version of the mod.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Nate53085 wrote:does not yet setup the mod, you will still need to edit DeusEx.ini to do this
Thinking more and more (after seeing the 2027 loader) about writing a loader myself. If I do it, I'll probably include settings for turning New Vision and HDTP (if they don't deviate too far from what has been publicly released and I can do like I did with what I have) on and off. Thinking through how to handle the graphics end of it (for now). (Though you could probably change DeusEx.Ini pretty easily with your installer script, so probably not a concern).

(just some thinking out loud :mrgreen: )
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ggrotz wrote:Thinking more and more (after seeing the 2027 loader) about writing a loader myself.
Nate53085
Mole Person

Post by Nate53085 »

Agreed with a good installer strategy that works across all mods.

My thoughts are to manage DeusEx.ini, with the loader (or whatever you want to call it) knowing about the specific ini lines per mod. The end user then sets priority of the mods. The loader then orders the ini entries to match the user specified priority.

To be honest though, I wouldn't want to spend the time without the other mods being interested. Also, ideally what I would like is that the end user ONLY download the loader. Then can download the mods they want from the loader. Therefore the major download is small (the loader) and the loader manages where/what/how to get the mods. Regrettably I don't know that we have the infrastucture to support that.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Oh. This is cool, but actually, someone called Cygma contacted me on ModDB at the start of the month and he's managed to put together an installer based on NSIS.

It seems to be complete, the deployed ZIP would include all the textures and dependencies uncompressed so you could install without the installer, if you wanted to. It also does the INI changes, I think. Plus since it's all in a scripted environment there's the odd chance I can modify it and fiddle around with stuff (doubt I can do much without breaking something though).

So I don't think this should be required since this was Windows-only too, but thanks for putting in the time anyway :)
Gorlash
Mole Person

Post by Gorlash »

New post: unfortunately, with the MegaUploader site gone now, we need another copy of those instructions for installing it!! Can I get such?

I moved the NVTEXTURES to my DeusEx directory
I'm using Kentie's launcher, version 4.1.0.0, and I enabled ..\nvtextures\*.utx in the Data Directories window, but they don't appear to be getting used. Do I need to use the DX10 renderer? I'm still using the regular Direct3D renderer because I'm having some awkward issues with the DX10 version; is that why I don't see the NewVision textures?

Or do I need to start a new game from scratch? I'm still on the first island, so it wouldn't set me back much to do so
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Gorlash wrote:New post: unfortunately, with the MegaUploader site gone now, we need another copy of those instructions for installing it!! Can I get such?

I moved the NVTEXTURES to my DeusEx directory
I'm using Kentie's launcher, version 4.1.0.0, and I enabled ..\nvtextures\*.utx in the Data Directories window, but they don't appear to be getting used. Do I need to use the DX10 renderer? I'm still using the regular Direct3D renderer because I'm having some awkward issues with the DX10 version; is that why I don't see the NewVision textures?

Or do I need to start a new game from scratch? I'm still on the first island, so it wouldn't set me back much to do so
Here's an instructional vid from moddb: http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-v ... new-vision

New Vision works with the different renderers. I copied New Vision into the DX textures then changed it's name to NewVision textures.

Also, in the DX ini Core. System just above the paths to the DX textures, is the line "Paths=..\NVtextures\*.utx" there? Obligatory without the quotes statement.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

The original Direct3D Renderer won't utilise New Vision.
Use the OpenGL one instead and don't forget to add UseS3TC=True under the OpenGL Settings in the .ini.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

You'll need to use an updated renderer of some sort - Direct3D 9, Open GL, or Direct3D 10 will all do.
Gorlash
Mole Person

Re: New Vision Mod Installer (solved)

Post by Gorlash »

Oh, Bobby55!!! That video was *perfect* !!!
I was putting the "UseS3TC=True" line at the wrong point in the file... under Engine.Engine there is a line which has the OpenGLRenderDevice that other messages had told me to look for, and I was not attentive enough to what I was doing... once I put that in the right place, NewVision is there in all its magnificent splendor!!! Not only that, but it works with my native 2560x1440 resolution!!

Oh, I am such a happy camper now!!

For some reason, I still am having trouble with the DX10 renderer... It draws full-screen at 2560x1440, but the image is not centered on my CRT, the upper-left corner is offset by roughly 300x300 pixels. But, I guess that doesn't matter, since the OpenGL renderer works!

Thank you again!

I'm going to post a link to this topic, over at the GOG forum for DeusEx, where there is still a belief (partially fueled by me) that DeusEx simply cannot be used at resolutions higher than 1920x1200.

Thank you all again for your dedicated help... I have always loved Deus Ex, but I've never before seen it in such glory!!
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Your welcome, and it's good to know you got it working. I prefer using NV with the OpenGL renderer, though it looks awesome with all the updated renderers.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

It is finally done! :D
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.