Skipping Videos after New Vision / Steam / GOTY / 1.112fm

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

marcelteaching
Mole Person

Skipping Videos after New Vision / Steam / GOTY / 1.112fm

Post by marcelteaching »

Hi,

I have

- Deus Ex GOTY 1.112fm
- Steam
- Kentie's DX 10 renderer (both web version, then version included in download when I had this error - same result)
- Not installed the Kentie DX launcher

It looks amazing, BUT I am experiencing video skips after about 2-3 seconds. So, for instance, the starting video, I see a scene and hear a few seconds of speech, with it suddenly skipping to the next sequence, even though I have not pressed any buttons etc..

Does anyone have any idea what this is / how to fix it? I have tried using both versions of the renderer.

Thanks,

Marcel.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Skipping Videos after New Vision / Steam / GOTY / 1.112f

Post by ggrotz »

marcelteaching wrote: Does anyone have any idea what this is / how to fix it? I have tried using both versions of the renderer.
My guess would be that you have a multiple core system and you need to tie the Deus Ex process to one processor when you run it.

To fix, see this (if you have Vista or Seven).
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/

For Windows XP, run DX, then switch out to the Windows Task Manager, find the process then right click/set affinity.

Then there are numerous programs which do this fix (like most DX launchers like Kentie's) or something in general that you can use and point at the DeusEx.Exe.

Hope that ends up fixing it...
marcelteaching
Mole Person

Post by marcelteaching »

I have a i2500 processor, HD6870, so I guess that is multi-core..

The shortcut is

steam://rungameid/6910

The page you sent me has this info :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start an Application Assigned to a Specific CPU in Windows Vista
Windows Vista has an option that lets you start an application and set the CPU affinity, which assigns the application to run on a specific CPU in a dual-core system.

To start an application you have to pass the affinity flag to the start utility in the command prompt. For instance, if you wanted to start notepad assigned to CPU, you could use the following command:

c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 notepad.exe

You can see in task manager that the process is only assigned to CPU 0

To start a process on CPU 0, use the following command switch:

/affinity 1

For CPU 1, use this switch:

/affinity 2

You can use a number up to the number of CPU cores or CPUs in your system. The affinity is essentially CPU core # + 1, so /affinity 5 would use CPU 4.

You can almost modify the shortcut for an item to make it run on the specific CPU, by just prepending the full “c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 ” onto the shortcut target. The only drawback to this approach is that the command prompt window will briefly flash on the screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how to integrate the switches into "steam://rungameid/6910"

Any suggestions?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Oh yeah the Steam part. :?

You can try looking in here for clues, but it seems like the basic problem has been identified. Is there an option in the Steam software to tie games to one processor or can you tie the Steam software itself to use only one processor?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

You can alt-tab while the game is running and set the affinity by bringing up the Task Manager. Kentie's Deus Ex exe fixed my speed issues.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
marcelteaching
Mole Person

Post by marcelteaching »

Well, I tried to make sure steam was not the cause by installing a plain version. Same result, unfortunately.

I set the affinity to 1 via the task processor when deus ex loaded (CTRL ALT DEL, then change affinity). No difference, so that isn't the problem. Any other ideas? :-s
marcelteaching
Mole Person

Post by marcelteaching »

This issue is FIXED. :)

Okay,

Apparently, there are multiple solutions to the whole skipping sound via the cutscenes and comes as a result of the GOTY edition, which has has irritations.

The trick is to edit the deusex.ini file and to go to where it has Vsync=False and change it to Vsync=True

The speed of the video card is otherwise a serious problem.

Thanks to all who tried to help me, with an issue that turned out not to have too much to do with New Vision. :)