Beta

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: Beta

Post by DaveW »

The typo on Castle Clinton was fixed in the last release, I think. The bubble texture means Deus Ex can't find the texture, i.e. I've imported it wrong. Turns out I completely forgot to import the human animation.

As for the screen in Burden of 80 Proof, check your directories - the reason that texture is missing is because it's using the old textures. That screen was missing from the last release because I screwed up the filename.

I also managed to find the original diagrams Ion Storm used to produce these charts. The eye one is made-up and doesn't look as good, but it's better than nothing.

While finding stuff for the eye one, I came across this awesome 'Barack Hussein Obama' eye test poster. It has made-up quotes and everything.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

There is an alignment issue with the NYC Skyline buildings on Battery Park map:
NYC Skyline
NYC Skyline
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Huh. What renderer are you using? You're getting some very strange artifacts on masked textures.

Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I am using Kenties launcher and DirectX 10 render, but those weird artifacts could be because I print screened that shot rather than sshot which, doesn't seem to work for me to get screenshots. I was using 1440x900 on the launcher, but it didn't work right and resized to 1600x900 in the game, might also be to do with it? I'll have a look tonight and see if I get that weird look in the game or it was just in the screenshot.
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
tetracycloide
Thug

Post by tetracycloide »

I thought my screenshot button wasn't working with the launcher before I realized it was saving the shots to the deus ex/system folder in my documents.

Question about new vision testing. What renderer with what setting would you prefer? Right now I'm using D3D10 with pretty much everything set to 'true' except for simulate multipass rendering (I like reflective surfaces and windows better without it).

I've seen a few textures disappear before they're completely off the screen, usually when they're partially occluded by other objects on the screen. Is that the kind of thing you want to see?
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Morpheus wrote:I am using Kenties launcher and DirectX 10 render, but those weird artifacts could be because I print screened that shot rather than sshot which, doesn't seem to work for me to get screenshots. I was using 1440x900 on the launcher, but it didn't work right and resized to 1600x900 in the game, might also be to do with it? I'll have a look tonight and see if I get that weird look in the game or it was just in the screenshot.
According to Kentie's DX10 page, the "Alpha to coverage" feature might be the cause for that (at least the sample pic on that page looks similar to what you're getting). So I guess you could try messing around with the DX10 INI settings.

[EDIT] Wait, I now realized what artifacting you were referring to, yet I was actually referring to this issue (DaveW's screenshot with edited lighting on-top, the one I just took on the bottom). Or perhaps it was the original alignment issue you were referring to? ME CONFUSED

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Interesting. I mean, what you're pointing out is an alignment issue, it just doesn't normally show up. I could fix it, but to be honest..altering masked textures is a giant pain in the ass.

Edit: Fastgamerr beat me to it. There's a small section of the texture being shown at the top that shouldn't be - and under normal lighting conditions you don't see it. But the artifacting around the edges of masked textures is creating a nice white line across the top of the plane. If I get the time I'll go through the Battery Park maps and fix the scaling.
tetracycloide wrote:I thought my screenshot button wasn't working with the launcher before I realized it was saving the shots to the deus ex/system folder in my documents.

Question about new vision testing. What renderer with what setting would you prefer? Right now I'm using D3D10 with pretty much everything set to 'true' except for simulate multipass rendering (I like reflective surfaces and windows better without it).

I've seen a few textures disappear before they're completely off the screen, usually when they're partially occluded by other objects on the screen. Is that the kind of thing you want to see?
That's got me a few times, too. Although I've taken to using FRAPS since it saves to PNG.

D3D10 or OpenGL - it doesn't really matter, what I was worried about was missing textures which would show up in either renderer. The disappearing textures would be a renderer issue and out of my control, but that behaviour does sound a bit odd.
tetracycloide
Thug

Post by tetracycloide »

Figured it couldn't hurt to post some examples of what I'm talking about. They start after the four shots of the strange shadow behavior. Speak of which, not sure what that could be from. Probably another renderer thing.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Got done checking things out. Everything looks great. The only problems I encountered were the major bugs that are consistent with the map set you used.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Hm, what major bugs? I thought these maps were supposed to eliminate most of the bugs!

tetracycloide - What you've posted are BSP holes, which are just errors in the way the engine renders the levels. I shouldn't have caused an increase in them by playing around with the maps, so you'd see those in a standard playthrough too.

bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

BSP holes are for me a mystery and you can indeed produce more holes just by opening a map, change nothing, rebuild and save. ^^
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
tetracycloide
Thug

Post by tetracycloide »

This is probably going to sound nit-picky but I'm reasonably sure this wall with ivy texture is upside down at least based on the references material I could find.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I think there was a reason I did that, but I can't remember what it is. I've fixed it, anyway.

Also: the unreal engine really pisses me off sometimes. I found a simple way of shrinking the texture sizes to about 1/3rd of their original size by converting some to 8bit indexed instead of 24bpp True Colour. Turns out Unreal doesn't like that and refuses to compile them. Thought I'd found a way to shrink the final size of the mod, but looks like it's still going to be huge :(
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Also: the unreal engine really pisses me off sometimes. I found a simple way of shrinking the texture sizes to about 1/3rd of their original size by converting some to 8bit indexed instead of 24bpp True Colour. Turns out Unreal doesn't like that and refuses to compile them. Thought I'd found a way to shrink the final size of the mod, but looks like it's still going to be huge
Well if the quality is there, sure none of us will mind much, (Unless you mean download size) but I do have a 70meg connection speed so large downloads don't bother me.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Well, with this technique it would've been possible to get the mod well under 1GB - if Unreal supported it. With 7z compression it's going to be around 1.25gb, which is still less than the last release but not great.

Just annoying really, because the textures don't need 24bit. You can't tell the difference (on most of them) between 24bit and 8bit, except in the filesize.