NV & HDTP

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Tricky
Thug

NV & HDTP

Post by Tricky »

Hey there. I've today learned of the HDTP project, and through the forums I found your New Vision project too. Exciting stuff, I had no idea the mod community behind DX was still so active.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if NV and HDTP are likely to be compatible, since both essentially replace textures everywhere. The website says HDTP shouldn't conflict because it doesn't touch textures, but isn't that precisely what it does? I'm a bit confused there.

Lastly, I'm not a *skilled* texture artist, but I can handle myself fairly well with image manipulation tools. If there is any scut work that needs to be done, say stuff like merging a few hundred textures into mipmaps, I might be able to help you guys out. Anything besides 'art', I can learn.

Drop me a message.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

HDTP doesn't do anything to the world textures, they're remaking all the models and model textures - decorations, items, weapons, etc. New Vision aren't touching any of that, they're focusing exclusively on the world textures. So if you combine them, you'll have one completely high-res game.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Tricky
Thug

Post by Tricky »

I see. I see now the main page of HDTP threw me off. You see a bit of Chinatown between the frames, I thought it looked touched up. :)

Should've read the features better. Still, my offer stands. If I can help out I will.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Completely compatible, we're directly replacing .UTX files so it's compatible with everything.

Thanks for the offer of help though, but if you can't texture there's nothing else that needs doing. That said I'm not sure about bringing any more people onto the project due to the cluster-f**k nature I texture in (as in, I don't stick to one package usually). Maybe in the future.
Tricky
Thug

Post by Tricky »

That's cool. How many people are working on it now?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Pretty much no-one at the moment. Me and Cyberpunk are the only team members, I'm not really up for working on it at the moment and he's too busy on his Neuromancer project.
Tricky
Thug

Post by Tricky »

Ah, that's.. as good as it gets I suppose.

I think it is a mighty awesome thing that you two are doing. Deus Ex is one of those games that aren't produced too often, especially what with the industry's current state of affairs. On those community sites that are mostly frequented by older gamers, you can see however that the classics are generally favoured over 'next-gen' titles. Honouring that with a texture renovation project should be the kind of thing people get knighted for. :)

Good luck!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Actually no I'm too busy with work Snipa but I've been dabbling of lately with the NYC textures still. I can't help that the publishers are riding us :D hence my absence of late. I think it'll cool down next week hopefully which means might be able to get some work done. Neuromancer has had a little bit more attention though due to the need to get my team working on things so that I don't loose anyone.

We'll see what happens next week, hopefully I'll have the entire subway finished like a promised.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

It'd be just great to see new advancements in this project! Keep it up, guys!
metzger44
NSF

Post by metzger44 »

DaveW wrote:Pretty much no-one at the moment. Me and Cyberpunk are the only team members, I'm not really up for working on it at the moment and he's too busy on his Neuromancer project.

neuromancer project?
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

metzger44 wrote:neuromancer project?
http://neuromancer.moddb.com/
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

The website got massively fucked up by the ModDB v4 move so I'll have to start again from scratch :( FAIL.

If you've noticed I haven't been very active with New Vision mainly because Dave's been doing such an amazing job and I can't keep up with him.

The Neuromancer project is moving along slowly but its getting somewhere for now at least. I was hoping to have something news worthy by the end of the year, it may or may not happen though as my skills are presently playing a big part to this. I'm still learning how to develop high definition 2D graphics and somehow animate them. The important bit is though that I've pretty much established my studio now at home so I can get up to something awesome.

Also I may need to replace my URL for the project. I'm really sorry to anyone who has tried to visit recently- everything is a mess.