OPEN BETA - NEVER! Hahahahahahahaahaha..ha

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Will you try out the Beta?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:46 am

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 22
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Well, although I know nothing about Deus Ex modding, another quick Google search turned up these tutorials:

http://tack.planetdeusex.gamespy.com/Ho ... tures.html
http://tack.planetdeusex.gamespy.com/Ho ... tures.html

The key line being:
NOTE: If you use method #1 described in the above link, you can check "Masked" when importing the texture or if you use method #2, you can add "FLAGS=2" to the end of the import line. Either of those will default any brush surfaces to "Masked" when the texture is applied. It's not necessary, but it saves a step.
The obvious advantage to doing Method 2 would be that you can do a bulk package, rather than Method 1 which looks like its texture by texture.

Hopefully that helps you somewhat.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Oh, importing them into standard packages is fine. But using that method requires the use of .PCX files, which the compiler (which we have to use to get the textures to compress right) is ignoring.
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Oh I see. So you can't compile them without the other compiler, which they aren't letting you having. Couldn't you send them the files for them to compile? That way, they could check to see if you were trying to do anything bad.

And another question that I've been meaning to ask: How did you manage to take screenshots of the new textures? Did you use a different method?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I think Dave manually inserted the textures into an existing UTX, not sure how he did it though since opening the editor and trying to import them usually crashes it. This is why he's able to screen capture the textures but not entire levels. Once he gets the info he needs you'll see fully HD levels :D

The way Dave is trying to do it is an automatic compilation because there are just way too many textures to import manually.

What Dave's having trouble with is getting an automated compiler that will do it all for him and the guy he's been in contact with apparently knows but hasn't responded.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

*Corrects*

Well, you're kind of right. I import them through UnrealEd and have to adjust the drawscale. This has several drawbacks:

1.I have to go into the properties of each texture. Deus Ex has 2200. That's a lot of manual work.
2.It only supports 8-bit (256 pallete) textures. Although, with the compression we hope to use (DXT1) those probably look better anyway.
3.With these packages, using the merge method, you can turn the high-resolution textures on and off with a .INI command. And they work fine in UnrealEd (some textures using the current method appear skewed across surfaces meaning you can't align them properly).
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Oh, importing them into standard packages is fine. But using that method requires the use of .PCX files, which the compiler (which we have to use to get the textures to compress right) is ignoring.
I'm sorry for sounding so...impertinent (for want of a better word), but what type of compression do you have to use? Couldn't you just package them using a different type of compression?

Anyway, I hope you find a solution soon!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

S3TC - or DXT, what modern games (and Unreal Engine 2 uses). The advantage is how it handles compression, as in, it's pre-compressed rather then the GPU having to compress it meaning that more textures can be on screen without slowing down the game. And the packages are around 70% the size doing it using standard Unreal P8 compression.

Plus it won't crash the editor and can be turned on and off.
eternalightwithin
NSF

Post by eternalightwithin »

ETlight pokes DaveW with a shar... smooth stick :o
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

eternalightwithin wrote:ETlight pokes DaveW with a shar... smooth stick :o
Lol etlight

question would it be better to just keep working on the textures and handling the issue later than trying to build a mini-mod now?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Of course, that's what I'm doing :) Although I've been messing around with a potential standalone game I'm going to be making for the past few days. Back to work properly soon...honest.
DanielH93
Mole Person

Post by DanielH93 »

Is it me, or is this the only thread not locked?
eternalightwithin
NSF

Post by eternalightwithin »

It's you.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Definitely you.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

DanielH93 wrote:Is it me, or is this the only thread not locked?
It's the same thing for me so at least you are not alone.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Same here.