OPEN BETA - NEVER! Hahahahahahahaahaha..ha

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Will you try out the Beta?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:46 am

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 22
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Should pass soon. My doctor is just a bit nervous giving me sleeping pills :D
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

DDL pretty much covered what I meant Dave. I said it in the most confusing way however.

And yes please try to get some rest.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DaveW wrote:My doctor is just a bit nervous giving me sleeping pills :D
You should try not to look too emo and/or goth when you ask him for them, and if you have any cuts on your arms, be sure to conceal them before visiting his office.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ewanlaing
NSF

Post by ewanlaing »

It is now the 31st.
Of course, that's here in Scotland and it's 2am.
So I guess I'll maybe wait till a a more reasonable time before assuming it's up.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Sorry, I'm currently working on Valve time.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Aren't we all?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

DDL wrote:Nah: for the demo I had to actively run around and make separate versions of quite a lot of things, and force HDTP onto others (which is why you have to run the demo map from normal DX rather than from HDTP: if you ran it from HDTP everything would look HDTPified, so comparisons would be impossible).

For textures, it'd be a similar problem: Dave would have to make separate .utx files for every single current .utx he's updating, with all the textures given different names (to avoid package conflicts), and then put them in a custom map next to the originals. A hell of a lot of unnecessary work, really.
If you wanted to make a "swap-demo", showing the old and the new side-by-side, it would make more sense to rename and repackage the original files in the demo mission, and require the new files installed to play it.
The reasoning behind this is that the New Vision package will be hundreds of megs, while the original assets would be much, much smaller, allowing a small demo download.

That's the method I used when making a similar side-by-side demo for another game. Frankly, the amount of work involved was offputting, and I only did it for a fraction of the files in question. I mainly just set things up in the demo when I wanted to compare the updated and original versions side-by-side to see if mine still needed more work.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Nameless Voice wrote: If you wanted to make a "swap-demo", showing the old and the new side-by-side, it would make more sense to rename and repackage the original files in the demo mission, and require the new files installed to play it.
The reasoning behind this is that the New Vision package will be hundreds of megs, while the original assets would be much, much smaller, allowing a small demo download.
Good point! Still, from the perspective of the person having to make the packages in the first place, it's an identical amount of work. Both ways of doing it are basically really unpleasant ideas. :)
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Yup! :)

The only reason I was able to do it was because I'd often add a model (in my case) after having worked on it, so that it was only a little work every now and then. Trying to do it all at once, though... ugh.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

I didnt think anyone played DX MP. Must be like 10 people who play or something.

Anyway I would help but from what Ive read here its not working or something? But also Id rather play the finished product rather than a beta. But if you need help with it I'm willing
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Indeed not. I've posted on UnrealSP in the topic where people were talking about it, and made a thread on BeyondUnreal. No responses from those yet though, and I can't make a beta without help.
If anyone has suggestions for other active Unreal modding sites let me know!

A more finished product would be nicer, but I think it's reached a stage where quite a few levels should be mostly retextured - so it's a good time to find problems.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Have you tried old unreal? Unfortunately I don't know of any others. So what is the problem that you are having with it at this point?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

The only person there that'd know is away at the moment. I've already contacted him, he hasn't been online for a while though so I'm just waiting hoping he knows.

At the moment the problem is importing masked textures.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Just thought I'd post in the thread that isn't locked :)

I've been hopeful about DXR, since this is one of those issues with the old engine that make modding not happen. Haven't heard much about DXR since Akerfeldt was helping with HDTP.

How is your sleeping? There's so many causes of insomnia, from medications and stress, to extraordinary rendition or caffeine.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Other ones were old, posts were randomly dotted between them all - there'll be a main one later on for respones to the beta. Once it's done, that is.

No caffeine or medication. I know what's causing it, but there's bugger all I can do about it.