Call to the community

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Call to the community

Post by DaveW »

Attention - this has already been completed!

Introduction
If you want to help get a release of New Vision out - here's your chance! I'm looking for people to help do the goddamn tedious job of importing textures into UnrealEd. I will soon have finished uploading a file containing all the textures of the project, in 256 colour .PCX format. This, I think, is the only good method of importing textures into Deus Ex.

Technical Instructions

For masked textures simply check masked. Masked textures are in the "TRANS" folder, check your package has any of these. Most likely you'll have imported a version of it already without transparency. Simply find the filename, delete it, and re-import the masked version. If you think I missed a masked texture (very very likely), let me know. Testing should also help pick these out.

And here's the magic bit:
To every new texture (you can tell). The scale is ALWAYS "0.125". A tool EER wrote will help me manually edit those that change this scale a bit, but you don't need to worry about that. Small light textures (gradients and such) may or may not be redone. I believe most were, but, just leave them. Again, EER's tool will save the day there.

I have no fear of repetitive strain injury

Now, how this is going to work. Download the file. Choose some packages you want to do, then POST which one! Then begin importing. Upload to a sharing site or, alternatively, send it to me via MSN (sharing site preferred due to speed). Everyone who helps can get access to the beta version, which will be just a pre-release check before the 'final' release (for now). I will keep this post updated with what people are doing but when you come in, check what packages are being done. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

File will be uploaded in about 5 hours. Just wanted to write this and let people know what's happening - it is possible after this I will pick the project up again. These packages will serve as a good test run and a base for me to work with, so, it's worth doing either way. If not, I'm sure things will look ever so slightly prettier.

Current packages

Package 1
Rocket
SubBase
Subway
Supertanker
UNATCO
V_Com_Center

Package 2
Mobile_Camp
Moon
NewYorkCity
NYCBar
OceanLab
Paris

Package 3
CoreTexTextile
CoreTexTiles
CoreTexWallObj
CoreTexWater
CoreTexWood
Dockyard
FreeClinic
G_Station
Hangar18
HK_BuildingExt
HK_Decorations
HK_Helibase
HK_Interior
HK_MJ12Lab
HK_Signs
HK_Versalife
MJ12_Lab

Package 4
CoreTexEarth
CoreTexFoliage
CoreTexGlass

CoreTexMetal
CoreTexMisc
CoreTexPaper
CoreTexSky
CoreTexStone
CoreTexStucco

Package 5
Airfield
Area51
BatteryPark
Catacombs
Cmd_Tunnels
Constructor

CoreTexBrick
CoreTexCeramic

CoreTexConcrete

Package 6
MolePeople

Transparancy Package (Everyone needs this)
Kee715
Illuminati

Re: Call to the community

Post by Kee715 »

I wish I could help, I tried using Unreal Ed twice and it left me ULTRA CONFUSED...

I have heard it is a crappy editor as well, TNM Quote:
Jonas wrote:If UEd had been programmed by competent people TNM would have been done half a year ago.
Alright so I did not get it exactly as it was and I am not entirely sure if it was a quote from Jonas included in TNM, but you can see why I am never toughing UEd ever again.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Neato. Now that's how to harness the community. I'm surprised there's no way to automate that. Still, it seems like something anyone could do.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I'll help... Anything for New Vision, it's awesome!

(Why do I keep using the word "awesome" to describe everything that is OTP-related? Oh wait, because it is).
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Packages are slowly going up. Catch 'em while they're hot.
Rocklobster
Mole Person

Post by Rocklobster »

Maybe this is a stupid question ,but you say that some tool of EER's will save the day with the scale. Does this mean you do not want the scales changed to .125?

Thanks for the answer.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I'm downloading package 1 right now...

Edit: Just let me get this straight: I have nothing to do with any EER tool?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

No you have to change it to 0.125 - every texture that's new (it'll be big, so, you can tell easily). The whole changing the drawscale for each texture is the only reason I don't have time to do this all myself!

EER's tool will be used by me when I'm putting the final thing together. It's only a couple textures that don't use the 0.125 drawscale.
Rocklobster
Mole Person

Post by Rocklobster »

Is there anyway to check to see if I have done it right or is it better to just start uploading it.

Forgot to mention that I was working on package 6 - mole people.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

There is a small problem with package 1... When I unzipped it, only two folders appeared: Rocket and SubBase. But when I try "test" on any of the folders, they all fail at the same file:

So I don't understand. I guess something is wrong with that file, but if so, why do the first wo unzip? Because they are showing the same error...

And btw, when I import textures, obviously I need to be in the browse category "textures". But does it matter in which sub-category? So when I'm importing Rocket, do I need to import it in the rocket category (by loading rocket.utx)? Guess not, but just asking.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Rocklobster, you can simply load up the 03_NYC_MolePeople map and see if they are scaled right. Save the package over the original MolePeople (might want to back up the original just in case), and test it out. If it looks ok send it over. I need to do a few things with that package.

Gamer0004, no you don't need to load the original because these are new packages you're making. You can call the main package whatever you want (doesn't matter in the end), but make sure the textures are in the right folders (metal, stone etc.). That's all that matters.

I don't know what's going on there. The package is fine on my computer, so maybe FileFront screwed it up. Is it just that texture you can't get to, or is it blocking access to all the other files too?
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

DaveW wrote: Gamer0004, no you don't need to load the original because these are new packages you're making. You can call the main package whatever you want (doesn't matter in the end), but make sure the textures are in the right folders (metal, stone etc.). That's all that matters.

I don't know what's going on there. The package is fine on my computer, so maybe FileFront screwed it up. Is it just that texture you can't get to, or is it blocking access to all the other files too?
Well, like I said, it just stops after the second folder. I haven't actually tried importing files yet, so I don't know whether the first two work. I am going to try to use winzip, maybe that'll help, but I'm afraid not.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Updated the link. Have you tried just opening it with the Windows zip reader?
Rocklobster
Mole Person

Post by Rocklobster »

Here is package 6: http://files.filefront.com/MolePeopleut ... einfo.html

Tell me if I made some horrendous mistake that needs to be fixed.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

That all looks right, great work!
Thank you :)

250mb though. Shit. This is going to be a huge download and the load times are gonna get stupid.