Legacy Thread

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Legacy Thread

Post by DaveW »

Rawr. Something I've been working on, me and Cyber (who plans to help out) have dubbed it "New Vision", but basically it's an unofficial companion to HDTP. Not sure if it's alright to post here (guessing not, but it's worth a go), but here's some screen shots of some textures so far.

Basically this is utilizing the OpenGL patch. Most are authored at 1024X1024 resolution.
Last edited by DaveW on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Let me just say that those textures are fucking BEE-YOO-TIFUL! I'm assuming these are the environment textures that HDTP decided not to work on (for all the right reasons), right?
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Very sexy indeed. Unofficial but essential companion to make HDTP complete I think. I certainly won't go without it.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

HAWT! I believe HDTP has some of the textures for Area51 already done, so some teaming up may be required, but this is a very good idea! :D
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

If anyone knows how the heck to do transparency (I know you use the 255,0,225 colour, but when I do that and select "masked" on import it just stays purple)

btw thanks for the comments so far :D
deusprayusjuicuslubricus
Mole Person

Post by deusprayusjuicuslubricus »

Wow! Those textures look seriously good guys.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

SnipaMasta wrote:If anyone knows how the heck to do transparency (I know you use the 255,0,225 colour, but when I do that and select "masked" on import it just stays purple)

btw thanks for the comments so far :D

When you look at the colour table in photoshop, make sure the masked texture is the last one. It doesn't have to be the pink colour, it could be anything: it just needs to be in the last colourtable slot (bottom right). Whatever that colour is, will be masked if you select masked.

And incidentally, HDTP is set up to check the HDTP folder's textures folder first, so you could put your modified .utx files in there and they'll only be used by HDTP! :)
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

deusprayusjuicuslubricus wrote:Wow! Those textures look seriously good guy.
:D

Thanks DDL, I'll give it a go now.
Edit: Didn't seem to work. Still shows up purple ingame:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

OMFG gimme gimme gimme.

Snipa, you have a lot of different pink in that pallette. Make sure the one in the last slot is your ONLY pink colour. If you remove the other pinks and suddenly the pinkness in your image is gone, you'll know you did it wrong to begin with. The pink in your last slot MUST be the only colour you've used where you want transparency.

In other words: Make sure you've only used ONE pink and that it is in the last slot and no other slot of your pallette.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

A good to way to make sure there isn't any pink in the table is to clear the masked part before indexing the image so you have the photoshop transparent squares. Then index the image and you should have the transparent squares in the last colour box in the table, just make that pink and you're done. :)
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
deusprayusjuicuslubricus
Mole Person

Post by deusprayusjuicuslubricus »

SnipaMasta wrote:
deusprayusjuicuslubricus wrote:Wow! Those textures look seriously good guy.
Sorry, read that as Cyber was already involved.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

*salivates*

That looks utterly fantastic. Rather an insane amount of work to re-do all the world textures, but if it can be pulled off, all shall leap for joy :D
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

They look a bit cack close up, but I'm sure detail textures (if I can ever get them to bloody work) will sort that out.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

SnipaMasta wrote:They look a bit cack close up, but I'm sure detail textures (if I can ever get them to bloody work) will sort that out.
Tell me about your problems with detail textures; I have proficiency with this.

Also, did you touch the weapon textures? Because I could swear...
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I was very disappointed when HDTP decided not to do world textures, but more disappointed with the scale that such a job would be rather than the decision. Your screenshots show exactly what can be done. I mean, just look at that screenshot of the tunnel near Tonnochi Road -- That brick texture makes the entire thing look equal to modern games, or even better since they don't have such attention to detail.

HDTP is remaking the old models and the object textures that today make Deus Ex look stupid. If Snipamasta and Cyber can remake the world textures, or at least the worst and most used ones, we'll have a game that looks completely modern. HDTP, DXR, and this "New Vision" world texture project...I don't know what else could be asked for.