Legacy Thread

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Those texture releases are wrongly imported and are obsolete, so I wouldn't recommend downloading them anyway.
Xerotrace
Mole Person

Post by Xerotrace »

Thx. CoreTexConcrete.zip seems to be Corrupted. Thx
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Thanks to the marvelous EER we now have a texture database where we can upload stuff and get a measure on the progress we're making. I'm thinking about setting up one of those Joomla things (well, a website) so we have an easier place where people can see progress, updates etc.

For now as I'm putting textures in I'm revising a lot of them. A lot of earlier ones were done without understanding or due attention, so I'm putting that right. This is the new FreeClinic Atrium:

fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Hm, looks very good again... but somehow those bricks give me the impression of plastic, somehow... hyper-real. Maybe that's just because of the presence of unedited textures like the tree.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, the tree looks plastic. I always thought the atrium at the clinic was weird and boring, but it's looking interesting with proper textures.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I agree too the tree looks strange.

The new bricks btw Snipa are CRAZY! I love them to death. Don't let anyone tell you other wise!
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

The problem with the bricks in the walls is the baked-on lighting: on the one hand it adds an element of depth, but on the other it very rarely matches actual level-lighting, so the jarring effect is pronounced: it looks subtly wrong, and the result is that your brain tries to rationalise it as a plasticky stuck-on texture.

I think.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think the weirdest part is around the windows, because the window frames have no depth but the bricks have, so it looks really odd.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

I don't know what you can do with the window frames without actually changing the mesh. Using textures to make it look pseudo-3D would look just wrong. Maybe put a slight shadow where the edge meets the bricks? That might look a little odd since the window sill is perfectly flat.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I think the weirdest part is around the windows, because the window frames have no depth but the bricks have, so it looks really odd.
Thats because the windows aren't finnished yet. It could be quite easily fixed with some wicked shadowing effects on the texture.
That might look a little odd since the window sill is perfectly flat.
Using details however we can bring the window out a bit using the same method. It will look pretty good so don't get too worked up, we just need to add some shadowing on the texture to give the windows some depth.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thats because the windows aren't finnished yet. It could be quite easily fixed with some wicked shadowing effects on the texture.
I think you'll find the windows use a generic texture from Core_Tex that is probably used for a hundred other shapes and sizes. So no, I'm pretty sure it can't be easily fixed that way.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Depends on how we do it. I can take a look at it in the coming day or so.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You plan to change the map then?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Yeah, that's definitely a coretexMetal texture. Looks like it's been used on the bench there, too. So adding shadow to that'll be a bitch.

The problem with baked lighting/shading is that it only works if you know exactly when and where the texture is going to be used. If you look at that screenie, the bricks are being illuminated from somewhere by the top right of the texture..but the bricks repeat all the way round the square (and don't mirror), so you've created the impression there's some weird magic roto-light thing going on.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I don't see any problem with the lighting on it, the lightsource on the photo isn't that defined...