Legacy Thread

Discussion related to the New Vision mod.

Moderator: DaveW

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I'll let snipa be the judge of that.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

:roll:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Right, uh... anyway...

The Hong Kong textures are looking absolutely smashing. If I may venture a tentative suggestion (disclaimer: this is a suggestion and I realize you are under no obligation to implement it so please don't flame me I come in peace!) I think that wall texture could do with a bit more grime on it. I love it already, though, just sayin'.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Yeah I understand that, it should appear a bit water damaged due to the rain. But I mean if snipa is ready to move on then its up to him.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Considering nobody's had a problem for thirty pages or so now, don't you think you're being a bit melodramatic CP? :roll:
The main 2 things are the whiteboard and the cathedral texture, both of which had people (well, 2 people - one of which was Zylon in both cases) not shutting up about how we removed "critical plot details" ( :roll: ) and made the game ultra unrealistic. In both cases we said not to continue the discussion about it because we had made up our decision, but they continued - that's the problem I'm trying to highlight.

Jonas, I'll add some more grunge to it now.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

SnipaMasta wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:Considering nobody's had a problem for thirty pages or so now, don't you think you're being a bit melodramatic CP? :roll:
The main 2 things are the whiteboard and the cathedral texture, both of which had people (well, 2 people - one of which was Zylon in both cases) not shutting up about how we removed "critical plot details" ( :roll: ) and made the game ultra unrealistic. In both cases we said not to continue the discussion about it because we had made up our decision, but they continued - that's the problem I'm trying to highlight.

Jonas, I'll add some more grunge to it now.
How big can you make the texture and still have it fit the level? Can you, for example, make one square of the texture cover most of a wall, instead of it tiling over and over again, thus allowing for lots of unique details like grime and grunge and scrapes and stains? Would making the texture like that screw up the design and level placing?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

No I don't think we can. The engine is still rather restricted to size and even then anything too big would lag the game (more so than what it does now). The best way to go about this is by doing exactly what snipa is doing right now, trying to reduce tiling.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Well, some engines use a method of irregular tiling, so you have 2 textures of the same thing that tile and the engine randomizes the placement of them. The only engine I know that supports that is Half Life, though. I'm not sure if it would be possible to include more than one window on a texture without screwing it all up. Unless you had 6 windows on each texture. The final texture resolution for that, however, would be 3072X3072 and considering how many skyscraper textures are in that scene you would immediately run out of video memory.

I've added more grunge to the building in the background and fixed the tiling problem on the sign. I just haven't re-imported because I'm a bit lazy.
Fragbait
NSF

Post by Fragbait »

I was walkin' here.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

SnipaMasta wrote:Well, some engines use a method of irregular tiling, so you have 2 textures of the same thing that tile and the engine randomizes the placement of them. The only engine I know that supports that is Half Life, though. I'm not sure if it would be possible to include more than one window on a texture without screwing it all up. Unless you had 6 windows on each texture. The final texture resolution for that, however, would be 3072X3072 and considering how many skyscraper textures are in that scene you would immediately run out of video memory.

I've added more grunge to the building in the background and fixed the tiling problem on the sign. I just haven't re-imported because I'm a bit lazy.
I always had the impression that sign was supposed to be a neon sign, hence the green glow. It kinda looks like irradiated cement there, don't you think? :P

Dig the ground tiles, by the way. 8)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The old one definitely doesn't look like neon to me. Just some sort of semi-transparent plastic lit from within, I guess.

The ground texture looks awesome :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Its really strange how that sign is glowing. I didn't know it was meant to be a light..
eternalightwithin
NSF

Post by eternalightwithin »

Yeah, I always thought it was a fluorescent bulb lighting up green plastic with letters. You know, the average "convenience" store sign.

Looks fine to me.
Jonas wrote:The old one definitely doesn't look like neon to me. Just some sort of semi-transparent plastic lit from within, I guess.

The ground texture looks awesome :P
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Could use some kind of actual light source though, cause I couldn't even tell it was a light in the Ued.
ewanlaing
NSF

Post by ewanlaing »

i never notice these things i have to say.
that is looking very nice. very deus ex, but also very up to date.