Fantastic Mod

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Knight13117
Mole Person

Fantastic Mod

Post by Knight13117 »

Like some others on this forum, I just wanted to say thank you to the developers for creating such a fantastic mod. From the trigger-happy security guards at the start all the way to Gamespy's portrayal as evil aliens, the game's cool sense of humour and great concepts and level design kept me playing all the way through both the PDX and WorldCorp paths.

Oh, and by the way, Scara B. King is probably the best video game character whose command I've ever played under. I mean, he sends you to kill an immortal moderator, then says he didn't really expect you to succeed, and sends you on his merry way. Wow.

I also appreciated the clear understanding of economics and politics present throughout the dialogue.

Favorite levels? Despot's Apartment (For it's totally out-of-place Quake creepiness and Karkian overlord), the Old Server Complex (a wild throwback to two of my favourite games, System Shock 1 and 2), and the mountain level leading to ABI (it felt a lot like Half-Life, which is a good thing ;) )

Favourite moment? Hearing the conversation between the WorldCorp commandos about ballet dancing. :)

Thank you again for expanding upon one of the best games ever made in a totally unique, entertaining way.
Quincel
Thug

Re: Fantastic Mod

Post by Quincel »

The ballet conversation was fantastic. It endlessly amazes me how skilled character writers, on screen or on the page, can give people such depth with such little touches. How do they think of the random extra stuff which is totally superfluous but often the most memorable? All the backstory behind the religions for example. From Beefman's past to the triad conspiracy, it was fairly small stuff added to the game which gave a whole new dimension to some characters.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Fantastic Mod

Post by Jonas »

Hahah, thanks man :mrgreen:
Knight13117 wrote:I also appreciated the clear understanding of economics and politics present throughout the dialogue.
Thaaaat's a new one.
The ballet conversation was fantastic. It endlessly amazes me how skilled character writers, on screen or on the page, can give people such depth with such little touches. How do they think of the random extra stuff which is totally superfluous but often the most memorable?
I think that one was one of the conversations Lawrence helped me write by roleplaying. Basically, towards the end of the project, when we just had to come up with a bunch of overheard conversations, I kinda ran out of ideas. So Larry and I came up with this roleplaying technique where one of us would just throw a completely random line at the other, and we improvised a conversation by each writing one of the characters' lines. It was a lot of fun :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine