Furniture suggestions? We need a couch.

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

GeryDvery
NSF

Furniture suggestions? We need a couch.

Post by GeryDvery »

Short version: We need a couch. Maybe a loveseat as well. Don't want to spend all the money, don't want junk. Living room is small so we're not going for the 4+3 sectional. 3+1 sectional or sofa + loveseat is ideal. Budget is firmly blue collar. I'm having a hard time accepting the idea of spending $2k on something neither of us is really passionate about.

Stopped into some independent stores last weekend and looked around. It looks like Stanton is the default answer if we want quality but don't want to spend multiple thousands. They are made in-state (Oregon) and have a solid reputation and warranty.

We also looked at a few other places. Ashley was an immediate no-go. Didn't like getting hit in the face with cologne or being trailed by hollow-eyed salesmen, and the product gave off a skeezy vibe.

La-Z-Boy also seemed offputting. Prices were ~40% higher than seemingly similar items at the indy stores, and the rep had a hard time explaining exactly what we were getting for the difference.

Costco is an option. Maybe not a great option, but an option. Probably the easy button.

There's a Big Lots nearby that carries Broyhill. I recognize the name, but that does not mean it's a quality product. The fact that they carry it at Big Lots raises concerns.

Time is a factor. We have company coming the first week in May. Custom orders are absolutely not happening.

Neither my wife nor I are big on fashion. We don't spend time fussing over home decor. We like satisfying things and dislike junk, and we have preferences, but we ain't fancy. Our last set was purchased secondhand off Craigslist and I started there this time around. There are some options, but it is tough to be picky about brands or colors or much of anything.

I am going to take a look at this later this week. Asking $1400 OBO. More than I want to spend, but maybe worth a look. I do like the idea of leather if it's good quality. Brand is W Schillig. I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether it is German-engineered amazeballs or overpriced Chinese-built crud. First two are seller's photos. Others are stock photos from mfr's website.
AlanBranch
Thug

Re: Furniture suggestions? We need a couch.

Post by AlanBranch »

Stanton seems like a good option, especially since they make their furniture locally and have a good reputation. I totally understand your concerns about pushy salespeople and overpriced items at places like Ashley and La-Z-Boy. No one wants to feel pressured or spend more than they need to. Costco can be convenient, but their furniture selection might not always be the best in terms of style and variety. It's worth checking out, but keep in mind that you might have to compromise on the style you're looking for. As for Broyhill at Big Lots, it's always a good idea to be cautious. While Big Lots can sometimes offer good deals, make sure to thoroughly inspect the furniture and read reviews if possible. That way, you can get a better idea of the quality and durability of the Broyhill pieces they carry. If you're open to exploring other options, I found this website https://www.gardencentreshopping.co.uk/ that offers garden furniture. They might have some couch options that could work for you, so it's worth checking them out.