Wiki

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Wiki

Post by Jonas »

I like your style.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Frib wrote:You have a point with the left-right thing, but with your style it makes the page a lot longer.
Its not making the page all that longer(Its just longer by 200 pixels, which could be made smaller as its the image's size which is determining the height). I personaly h8 how wikipedia always has everything in box's rather than all the elements being a part of the page. Boxing everything in seems to be what websites did "in the old days". Personaly i prefer a more "open plan" layout, where nothing is confined to box's.

EDIT: Iv made a Small Version to show that it doesn't need to take up as much vertical space. A 100x100 image which would be the smallest you could use works fine.
Frib wrote:The advantage of wikipedia's style is that you can have two things next to each other
Imo there is nothing wrong with having stuff aligned to the right, but its imo bad when its the main information about something. I.E Character profile information. All main information should rearly be on the left. Right aligned stuff should rearly just be pictures (With the exception of wikipedia pages which are for towns, etc... which TNM is unlikley to have)

EDIT: Do you have the right extentions installed on the server? The wiki doesn't seem to be able to make thumbnails(Meaning any template/page that trys to force an image to be a certain width/height will find a "Thumbnail Error" insted of an image)...
Frib
Thug

Post by Frib »

I like the smaller picture one more than the one with the bigger picture. But I also like boxes :]
Is it possible to put it in a box, but have the box size with the content and not the other way around? This way it stands out, and at the same time it's not restricted.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If you could link us to exactly what you need, I'll ask Lawrence to install it when he has a moment. Least we can do.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Jonas wrote:If you could link us to exactly what you need, I'll ask Lawrence to install it when he has a moment. Least we can do.
TBH i don't actualy know what is needed. But i think its the GD Server extention.

EDIT: based on This forum's thread it looks like its related to imagemagic.
Frib wrote:Is it possible to put it in a box, but have the box size with the content and not the other way around? This way it stands out, and at the same time it's not restricted.
Contents should flow from one bit into the next. Box's restrict elements into little sections. It shouldn't need to stand out when its the first thing a user would look at. All a box would do is make it look as if its a seperate element which contains information that isn't a main part of the page but is just a little bit of extra information. Rather than making it look as if its a important bit of character information.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

My feeling is that the reason the stuff is on the right is that it is unnecessary. In theory everything or nearly everything there should be in the body text. It is a bullet point summary that is useful if you want only bare bones information, but it isn't the central feature. The central feature of an article is the article itself. Anything that places the summary and thumbnail with greater prominence than the article text is detracting from the wiki.

Obviously this opinion is not shared by all.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Any eta on when/if Parser functions will be installed? Literaly < 2 Minutes job.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I linked Lawrence to that URL you gave me, but he said as far as he can tell, all of that is already installed.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Jonas wrote:I linked Lawrence to that URL you gave me, but he said as far as he can tell, all of that is already installed.
All of what? The ParserFunctions? If so then its not installed or it would show up on the version page. If you mean the graphics libraries then something IS wrong. Try it yourself. Edit any page and add [[Image:WorldCorpInc.png|100px]] and hit Show Preview. You will see a gray box where the image should be and the text "Thumbnail Error". If the image libraries are installed properly then it should create a thumbnail.

EDIT: Updated my sandbox with an example of the error.

EDIT2: Ok scratch that. Seems like the graphics libraries can't resize PNG images. Meaning people should upload JPG's with zero compression insted so that any page/template has the option to use a thumbnail of an image.
Last edited by stucuk on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Do you have a link to the parser functions?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Was in my first post... Here is the link. Basicaly you just download a php file, create Extentions/ParserFunctions/ directory, upload the php file you downloaded there, and then add 1 line to localsettings.php.

@Thumbnails: Ok, seems it doesn't like JPG's eather. Seems like it won't resize any image downwards. Definatly a problem. It can't even resize on the gallery of new files bit.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Grrr, how do I see what version of Mediawiki we're using?

[EDIT] Never mind, attempting to install now.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There we go, give it a try :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Works perfect thanks. WIP and Stub pages will nolonger be listed in the Work In Progress category and it now accepts input. :)
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

So I guess I was on the losing end of that discussion.

I still think the quote should be at the top of the page, even though you've chosen to demote the article itself to secondary importance.