Thank You

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

35Kas
Thug

Thank You

Post by 35Kas »

I've been meaning to write this since around when I got to Shadowcode, when the greatness of the mod and the excellence and the quality of it were undeniable, as well as how much work was put into this masterpiece became obvious.

I have been following this mod even since I followed the link from Zodiac's page after I had played it. And all these years when bored online i'd type "the n" and the nameless mod would auto-complete on the search bar and i'd check up on how far the mod was. A few weeks ago I did it again and was ecstatic when I saw it was finished. I checked it everyday until release a week ago, when I bought it again over steam (lost the hard copy a while ago), downloaded and started the game.

Having just started the game and not having played Deus Ex in years I was kind of taken aback by it but as I played the first level the magnitude and the attention to detail jumped at my face: I was flabbergasted! The enormity of the maps and how there was stuff to do everywhere and how long it took me to explore (specially to get into the WC basement, goddamnit lol, I had to buy extra multi-tools).

Of course I was annoyed by the frequent CTDs but that was fixed by saving every 15 minutes (and not quicksaving and quickloading at all, due to the crashes). Even on the AI mainframe part and the control room of the station where crashes and freezes would happen so frequently id have to kill the aliens so fast and save it again before more came i was unphased: I had read the patch was due soon and minor annoyances were ok to put up with. I have played much worse games with CTD that had me stopped playing them at all a few hours into them.

But I understand this was project made for fun. And I thoroughly enjoyed this! I honestly haven't played a game so good in a while, its a nice break to WOW and DOTA. And the thoroughness! When I blasted into Scara's office at the start of the game with HE ammo and lams I was wondering how the story would develop from here, knowing there were multiple story lines... but I was surprised by the entity as soon as the map changed, and I laughed and payed attention in awe at this brilliant fix! No need to set characters immortal, just create a work around ending! I mean I haven't seen something so brilliant in a game in a while so cheers for that.

I'm not expecting to take a whole week to finish this mod again (whoa, i've payed 40$ for games i finished in 8 hours and were not nearly as re-playable or fun as this), but now with the bug fixes and me knowing what to do will make things easier. I am considering not using the inventory cheat this time around (i've used it since I went into Goat city and killed everyone in there after my fatal conversation with oinutter and mentioned llamas, which in intelf was an epic fight!! I'd pull out the flamethrower and lit him up then run into the room with statue, blasted the woman with the double pistols and the horde was coming... when they came through the corridor i lobbed a poison grenade and they were all crying: time for the coup de gras, LAM! I got out of there with a few med kits to spare and i wasn't yet aware of the secret passage to my beloved regen aug under the goat statue which id get before athena... So this next play around ill try scaras side and goats.

Also I thought about mentioning this bug: After I found the goat city during my first LLama quest I had a few problems with the game logic but no matter how i interacted with abom and DT i was not able to walk back inside the llama temple. Even if i used the open or travel commands, id end up w/o items at the start of central city map. I hope you guys fix that, since i was forced to miss out on the 2nd llama mission because of it, but was glad enough to be able to do the 3rd (not not get the weapon mods promised lol) and I really liked the fight with athena... PHAT blew her a few times before I realized those stairs to the pipes in the ceiling were not just for props. I was actually scared of how fast she moved!

And the zero presence fight! I was just lucky I had the flamethrower there cause I killed him in one go, lit him up and blasted the buckshot out of his ass. It wasn't so easy to kill Kylie... I had to resort to set up 4 LAMS at the corridor wall then looking at her, firing a couple 20mm at her and run back and wait for the lams to do the work... I was not able to kill her if I allowed the dialogue to start, cause her plasma gun would blind me and id not be able to do much.

I really liked to execute and rampage through Goat city and WC HQ it was hard enough to be careful but yet fun that I even did with the dragons tooth sword alone, hacking my way at the spoon throwers, lol...

As an opinion however, with this kind of talent, you guys could start a company and make a game like this with real funding. I can only imagine how much better TNM would have been if this was made in 4 years with a full staff and financial backing. Whatever you guys work on next this mod tells me its gonna be top notch!

Well I am about to start over so have fun guys, I just had to thank you and congratulate you.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Thank You

Post by Trestkon »

Wow, that just made my night :-)

I appreciate you taking the time to write up such a nice post, it's great to know that people are enjoying the mod (despite the bugs)! The Version 1.0.1 patch will be out on Wednesday and has more than 100 fixes, so you might want to wait for that before starting your next play through :)

We fully intend to bring the lessons learned from TNM to our next production, which will be an indie game rather than a mod. I doubt we'll have any financial backing aside from our own bank accounts, but we think we can do it at a fairly low cost, and a MUCH shorter development period!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Ishindri
NSF

Re: Thank You

Post by Ishindri »

A hearty thank you from me as well. I just finished my first playthrough today (PDX, screwed over both the Goats and Llamas), and the quality and attention poured into the game (technically a mod, but at this point I think it deserves to be called a game in its own right) is clearly evident. You people put a lot of effort into this, and it shows. I can't think of much else to say besides thank you, and that I will certainly get many hours out of entertainment out of it in future - I have the feeling I've just barely scratched the surface of all the extra content and hidden bonuses.

Once again, thanks and good work. You guys rock.
All is well. We are not like the others.