Disappointment: The Sequel (Old Server Complex)

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

kyrieee
Thug

Re: Disappointment: The Sequel (Old Server Complex)

Post by kyrieee »

I had a similar thing happen to me earlier =/

Right by the karkian in the slums there's a hole where you can drop down. I had entered from the other direction though, so I didn't know there was another way there so I figured I was supposed to stack stuff to get up there. The problem is that the hole is pretty damn narrow, which makes stacking things incredibly difficult (and frustrating).

Eventually I did manage it, using small stuff that got stuck in the wall somehow, but then I ran around and found the other entrance. Kind of a bummer :p
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

kyrieee wrote:I had a similar thing happen to me earlier =/

Right by the karkian in the slums there's a hole where you can drop down. I had entered from the other direction though, so I didn't know there was another way there so I figured I was supposed to stack stuff to get up there. The problem is that the hole is pretty damn narrow, which makes stacking things incredibly difficult (and frustrating).

Eventually I did manage it, using small stuff that got stuck in the wall somehow, but then I ran around and found the other entrance. Kind of a bummer :p

Ditto. Pretty much exactly the same, and I'm a pack rat so wasting that LAM to blow open the door was especially heart wrenching. :lol:
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I've actually started wasting grenades willy nilly, because I hit the ammo max on LAMs, EMP grenades, and Gas grenades (as well as Phat canisters, pepper spray, .45's, darts, flare darts, flamethrower ammo, shotgun shells, assault rifle ammo, tazer batteries, both sporks and foons...)
35Kas
Thug

Post by 35Kas »

I have to agree. There are so many grenades and ammo available that you can spend them freely because you know you will get more later. Even on the last level on the control room since I had full stacks of gas nades and lams all i did was lob em over the stairs.

And now on my second play through (WC) i have already found FOUR vortex grenades and I am just about to get through the gate at ABI.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I blew the one vortex grenade I found in DXI on the EMP disabled "Gift for Jonas", simply because I needed the room and a single overpowered grenade wasn't worth it over the other options to drop.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jetsetlemming wrote:a single overpowered grenade
Not quite, you will rarely find a suitable group of enemies t use it upon (I always thought "What if there is another group later?") and it fails against bots, I used it on Kylie at the Gamespy Space Station and 'twas awesome, but surely overkill (Not really, she was augmented and had that pawnsome AR), just find a group (Or boss) to use it upon and call it awesome overkill (Like Questionable Ethics).
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I blew the one vortex grenade I found in DXI on the EMP disabled "Gift for Jonas", simply because I needed the room and a single overpowered grenade wasn't worth it over the other options to drop.
The only one? Really? ;)
kyrieee
Thug

Post by kyrieee »

What are the whereabouts of the one in DXI? (not exactly where it is, I want to look for it :p)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Too much ammo? Try raising the item difficulty setting the next time :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

ZeroPresence wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:I blew the one vortex grenade I found in DXI on the EMP disabled "Gift for Jonas", simply because I needed the room and a single overpowered grenade wasn't worth it over the other options to drop.
The only one? Really? ;)
Only one I picked up, and a single powerful grenade wasn't worth as much as my large collection of LAMs, EMP grenades, Gas grenades (which can put out an entire crowd while I calmly headshot them all), EMP gun, crossbow, lockpicks, multitools, medkits, or batteries. :P Even if there was two or three of them.

I've never been a really big fan of limited use very powerful items like that unless they're placed in a way where I can pick it up, go use it, then return in short order, for example the LAW in the WC basement and the nearby bots. I'm a natural scavenger so if I have to carry that powerful stuff along with me and choose the right time to expend the item I've invested all this time in carrying, I'll be reluctant to ever actually use it. :P
Jonas wrote:Too much ammo? Try raising the item difficulty setting the next time :)
It's less too much ammo and more all this ammo for shit I don't bother using. I use AO's pistol, the crossbow, grenades, EMP pistol, and the DTS for 99% of encounters. Occasionally I'll pick up a shotgun or GEP or flamethrower off a corpse and use it for five minutes then throw it away again.
Well, actually, I'd count the .45s as too much ammo, because I occasionally do use that gun just for the hell of it, killing the hoverbots with it or weakening DXE guards so they pass out from a tranq faster, and I *still* max out the ammo pretty much every time I find a new box of bullets for it. For regular encounters AO's pistol is far more useful simply because it's far more accurate, so it gets far more use. Playing on normal item difficulty (only bar I changed from default is the player damage, which I turned up high)

For the record I found my vortex grenade in the offices at the end of the OSC, under a desk.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Jetsetlemming wrote: I've never been a really big fan of limited use very powerful items like that unless they're placed in a way where I can pick it up, go use it, then return in short order, for example the LAW in the WC basement and the nearby bots. I'm a natural scavenger so if I have to carry that powerful stuff along with me and choose the right time to expend the item I've invested all this time in carrying, I'll be reluctant to ever actually use it. :P
Same with me, I still have my vortex grenade that I picked up when I first started my game.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I just discovered that the phat rifle is actually a stealth weapon, and if you shoot somebody in the back with it they don't know what the fuck. Phat-rifle + laser sight (absolutely required to make it worth using since people take so many shots to blow up and being 6x your normal size in fatness doesn't seem to actually effect anybody, annoyingly) + sneaking around = win. One less weapon I've been completely ignoring, then. ;)
The rice bag mode is still beyond useless though. You've got to get basically within range where you could've just hit them with the tazer and one hit KO'd them to actually get the headshot due to the extreme arc.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Or you can just work on your aim.

I've become good enough with the rice bag launcher that I get headshots with it most of the time. I still quicksave before I use it on major characters though ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
35Kas
Thug

Post by 35Kas »

I also have my preferred item set which is unbeatable in usefulness.

The crossbow, Ao's pistol, the .45s, DTS or DDs, a 7.62 rifle, emp pistol and the phatgun (ammo for these is fairly consistent). I will carry these items with me at all times and will mod em up as much as possible. I also like to use the buckshot due to its usefulness with bots and people alike. LAMs and Gas nades are very good to have also. Multitools, lockpicks and 25energy cells.

Depending on the situation I will also have a sniper rifle but they are not very useful due to the limitation of ammo and the 4 space slots, i am not yet sure if i should carry a modded buckshot or a modded sniper rifle although a modded buckshot is not much different than an unmodded one and you can always pick one up, not so with a sniper rifle (silencer and laser?).

After I get maxed with regen I may dump the medkits if i need the room (but they are still useful in the middle of fights, where instantaneous healing is good).

Advanced in Pistols, Rifle and Computer is a must. Trained lock picking and electronics are highly recommended. I like to boost up melee too (Very fun to kill bots as you run around them with your sword and ballistic shield up).
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

The second most useful single skill purchase in Deus Ex, right under getting Trained computers, is getting Trained medicine, which makes Medkits jump from 25 points a piece to 60. This is even moreso in TNM, which makes you hides the Regen very carefully.