Somewhat less hypothetical Narcissus walkthrough

Discuss The Nameless Mod in all its glory, unrestricted by the spoiler prohibition in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Somewhat less hypothetical Narcissus walkthrough

Post by chris the cynic »

Some time ago I posted 116 words that I referred to as an excerpt from a hypothetical Narcissus walkthrough of The Nameless Mod. Truth be told I'm not sure what such a walkthrough would look like. I imagine it would be somewhat strange, perhaps something like that which follows. Certainly what follows incorporates 113 of the original 116 words.

A minor difficultly in trying to write such a thing is that the walkthrough is necessarily for someone who has already played the game. You shouldn't do the crazy meta playthrough before the normal one, or the other normal one. So should I assume everyone already knows where everything is, or do I give directions? Do I have to tell you the location of useful items, or can I count on you to grab a riot prod yourself if you want to be non-lethal?

Also, this may very well be unreadable. So anyway, I give you downtown:

PHASMATIS' APARTMENT

Welcome to the game. Open the console (t by default) delete "say," type, "give WeaponKatana" and then open your inventory and have a look at the description of your new weapon. Isn't it amazing? It's like they knew. Also, "give" is a brand new TNM cheat, so you're already making use of the new features.

Now Phasmatis asked you to meet him in the right hand apartment on the forth floor. There are any number of ways to go about doing this, the most direct is to go to the forth floor and go to the apartment on the right.

The least direct is to go to the right hand apartment on the third floor, realize you're on the wrong floor, go to the right hand apartment on the second floor, realize you are again on the wrong floor, go to the left hand apartment on the third floor, good god, you're still on the wrong floor, go the the left hand apartment on the second floor, finally get it through your skull that there is a fourth floor, go to the left hand apartment on the fourth floor, and then finally go to the right hand apartment on the forth floor.

Choose a happy medium.

Once there Phas will say things to you, this will in turn allow you to say things to Phas. If you'd like to know more about the setting now is a good time to ask. If you don't want to know more about the setting then don't ask. In fact, as a general rule, if something doesn't interest you you would be do well to avoid doing it. Many potentially happy players have been laid low because they missed this crucial detail.

Phas gave you his login info, you can copy and paste it from your notes into the computer login so you really have no excuse if you don't use the computer. Breakout and Tetris can be played on the computer. Frob the phone next to the computer, look at the books, read some poetry.

Obviously pick up the aug Phas procured for you. Frobbing the answering machine in the room with the aug will play the message KK left for Phas in the intro.

If you're particularly interested in knowing what it feels like to be knifed to death by an immortal mod, use the katana to break Phas' television. Other than that, there isn't much to do on the forth floor. Do open one of the broom closets and repeatedly frob a broom.

Return to the first floor. By this time important and powerful people should be calling you, which makes this seem like an ideal time to ignore them. At some point you're going to want to break into the basement here. Given that you're only armed with a katana now might not be that point. This is especially true if you're planning on doing things in a less than lethal way, though fists should not be underestimated.

If you don't think you're ready then go out into the wide world. Skip to Downtown.

When you are ready, go in the room with the receptionist. Behind him you will find a key and a vent. Grab the key and go into the vent. You're going to come out behind two security guards, approach them and listen to their conversation. After that what you do is up to you, kill them, render them unconscious, disappear into the night, it's all fine.

Regardless, turn around and proceed past the vent, go down the down leading stairs. Do not go down the stairs that go up. That would be bad, and impossible. There is a door, you will be required to get through it. If you cannot think of at least three ways to do that, perhaps Deus Ex is not the game for you. The key you picked up is the key to this door, by the way.

Inside you'll find a guard and four doorways leading to other rooms. The room on the near left contains chemicals and explosives and crates with goodies, the room on the near right contains a fire extinguisher and lockpicks in small cardboard boxes. The room on the far right contains two scramble grenades and 100 credits in a small cardboard box. The room on the far left contains a repair bot, a spiderbot, and a painting in a tube. You're after the painting in the tube. Grab it.

There is one more thing to do before you're done here. The back of the main room, behind the large cardboard boxes, is made of wood that just begs to be broken. If you can't break it on your own then make use of the explosives. Enter the room behind the wall, examine it, drink it in. Wonder what it could possibly be. Grab egg number one if you haven't already.

Leave this building.

-

DOWNTOWN

Phas will immediately send you a message saying that you need a subway pass. This seems simple enough until you learn that they stopped selling day passes (the bastards) and you now need a monthly pass. The implication is that they never let people pay per trip. Regardless, the upside is that you'll never again be stuck because you don't have subway fare, the downside is that you are currently stuck because you don't have subway fare.

You need 1000 credits.

Some people on a forum that shall not be named in a "Let the name of **** be stricken from every book and tablet. Stricken from every pylon and obelisk. Let the name of **** be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of man . . . " kind of way have claimed that you are forced to do fetch quests here to get the money. They are dirty rotten liars who should never be trusted and should be forced to stay at least 200 yards from minors, creationists, and all other easily impressionable individuals.

There are 100 credits in the apartment building (see above), 170 credits in Lt. Boomer's coffee shop along with the key to the safe of Captian Apollo's shop, 350 credits in that Captian Apollo's, 90 credits in the QuickStop, and 300 credits in the safe in Sol's Bar. That's 1010 credits. More than enough for a subway pass. You can get another 100 credits simply by knocking out Whoever (the street vendor) and looting his body.

Clearly you don't actually need to do any fetch quests. Now, lets do some fetch quests.

The lay of the land might be worth pointing out first, so I'm going to stick it in a massive footnote*.

-

Llama Mission

First you're going to want to go to the extreme south east corner of the of the map. On your way you might want to stop by Helga's Kraut Kastle (looks like a castle, sort of) and knock out or kill Master_Kale. You don't need to do this now, but it will save time later.

In the south east corner there is a brick building with a stairway up the side. In this building are some Goat worshipers and an unconscious Llama worshiper. Get the Llama guy out without killing him. You might want to listen to the two people standing over him talk for a bit, you might want to shoot everyone on sight.

Anyway, you've got a Llama and nothing to do with him. You'll want to take him back to his people. Go back to where you started, and up the stairs. There are a couple of guys standing by the canal, they look suspicious don't you think? Listen to them.

They've shot someone. Now would be a perfectly good time to jump into the canal, and investigate. If you want to do so be sure to look at the data cube and know that the ladder to get out is at the eastern docks, and there are treats near a sunken car on the west side of the canal.

When you're done with that go up the giant ramp to the temple in the north. A large green armored guy will swear and pay you. Drop the body on the ground.

-

Descend the ramp into market square. Lt. Boomer's is closed as are two unlabeled buildings so the only people doing business are Whoever the street vendor and the Fan Fic Shop. Behind the counter of the Fan Fic Shop you will find me. I've always been nice to you haven't I? Don't hurt me or disrupt my business. Downstairs you'll find my partner walton simons, at least I think he's always downstairs now.

Also downstairs is jimmycracker. It is time to ask yourself an important question, did you grab the poster from the basement of the apartment building? If not, do that before you talk to jimmy. If you did, now would be a great time to talk to jimmy.

On the market square side of the west bridge is a female citizen. Listen to her and she will tell you about the original design of Form City which had a strong Greco-Roman influence.

We could assume that she is incorrect, or insane, but I prefer to believe that she is correct. I like the idea that Forum City was originally going to built like a Greek or Roman city. Especially if it was an idealized one with shining marble and none of the grit, grime, or other realistic grunge and muck that defined an actual ancient city. After all, she said Greco-Roman influence, "not historical recreation of a Greek or Roman city." So I imagine lots of white stone columns and such.

I like this idea because it would mean that at some point someone somewhere must have said, "What the fuck are you/we thinking?! We're trying to build a city for Deus Ex fans and we're modeling it after an idealized version of the Pantheon and the Parthenon? Make it a fucking modern slum. Make giant blocky buildings that make people feel small. Make a dirty canal, streets with inadequate drainage and sewers you can take a stroll in. Make abandoned buildings of brick and steel." Or something like that.

Moving on. Cross the canal but do not go down the stairs, instead turn right (west) and walk that way. If you follow one of the openings in the buildings you'll find a spiderbot guarding a stash. If someone could afford a robot to guard their things you'd think they could afford a safe deposit box, but this is a community of Deus Ex fans (bankers are part of the conspiracy!) and there's always the possibility that this is a rouge spiderbot that collected the stash all on its own. Sort of like a mechanical pack rat. That shoots lightening.

Continuing westward you will find that you can actually walk over the blockade guarded by firewalls and a military bot. You're off the edge of the map, here there be monsters. Or rather a picture of a lolcat which is apparently much, much worse than a monster based on the response mere mention of it has produced. Walk to the datacube in front of the lolcat, examine it, read it, shoot it. Ok, you're done here.

The firewall agent who will give you the N00Bz mission is below you. Have you knocked out or killed Master_Kale yet? If not, now is the time.

-

The N00Bz Mission

There are an outrageous number of ways to complete this mission. There is really no purpose in me bringing that fact up here.

If your first impluse is to knock out Master_Kale and bring him to the firewall agent before you even get the mission then you would make a better beta tester than myself. Anyway, that will work, after a fashion, but you will experience a bug that was spared. That's right, it was spared. Not out of some misplaced mercy for bugs though. No, much like a section of the ceiling of Grand Central Station (real name: Grand Central Terminal) in New York City was left unrestored as a reminder of how things had been before the restoration and thus how things would be if dedicated individuals had not worked their asses off to make the thing perfect, so too has a bug been left in as a reminder of ... whatever.

Point is, I'm recommending not bringing the unconscious body until you actually get the mission unless you want to see a bug. If you fail to heed this recommendation, or want to see a bug, remember to talk to the firewall agent again after bringing Master_Kale to him.

If you want follow my advice, talk to the friendly firewall agent at the barricade. If you've opted knock out Master_Kale instead of killing him you'll need to bring him to the agent afterwards. You're also going to want to knock out at least one of the N00Bz and talk to another. Go back to the firewall agent to complete the mission and receive your payment.

You now should have enough money for a subway pass. You could go to the corporate district now, but that's exactly what they'd be expecting you to do. Why not go to a bar instead?

-

SOL'S BAR AND GRILLE

Sol's Bar is in the south east corner of the map. Feel free to talk to Sym, the crazy bum outside, before entering. People of interest interest inside include Jackie, Alpha, Kylie and ZP. If you happen to like Jackie and Alpha it would be best to leave them both alive and conscious. That this needs to be said at all is indicative of the sorry state of human reasoning at this point in history.

You're supposed to talk to Alpha anyway, so you might as well do that. There is Pong upstairs that you might want to partake in. Beyond that, the time has come to cheat again.

Open the legend menu and create the flag allied_WC (set it to true) find Kylie and talk to her. This is a hidden conversation which cannot be activated without cheating. Enjoy it. If you are wearing glasses you will experience the only "my vision is augmented" joke in the entire mod. (The only other mention of any kind being within the text of the fan fic Twist.)

When the conversation is finished open the legend menu, delete the flag "allied_WC" and kill Kylie. Don't worry, she deserves it and she'll get better anyway. Retrieve the keys she is carrying. You will need one of them to activate Narcissus' PMs in the Corporate Sewers. If you don't have room for Kylie's gun I am impressed, where did you find so much stuff? Consider making room.

Try to avoid killing the man in the green coat if at all possible. It isn't that he is particularly nice, it is just that he happens to have a very nice gun that he didn't bring with him. Isn't that rude of him? If you want the gun you'll have to let him live so you can steal it from him later.

Break the righthand mirror on the dance floor, retrieve egg number 3.

At this point people are probably running and screaming, Jackie is probably shooting at you (if she is alive and conscious.) You will not find a better time to leave than this.

In fact now is a good time to leave this district. You might want to pick up the weapons stash you learned about in the canal (south west corner of the map, stack things up to climb up the southern wall.)

Go to the subway station, and take the train to the West Residence district.

-

*In front of you are two citizens of Forum City, depending on what you do and how you think these may well be representative of what you're fighting for. They're talking about the Deus Diablo situation. The way the man says "assume" makes me assume he's a pretentious prick. I may be reading too much into it though. If you were to continue beyond them you'd eventually reach people talking about Despot, they're standing in front of the building Captain Apollo's Coffee is in. You can recognize this building from a distance by simply looking up and noticing the large windows of Captian Apollo's. Continuing beyond that you reach the end of the district and are forced to make a right turn. If you were to grenade climb, or fly, or ghost upwards after making that turn you'd find egg number two surrounded by barrels.

Behind you is the door you just came out of. If you were to go slightly to the left, and then back, you'd eventually bump into a blockade guarded by firewalls and a military bot. The firewall agent will give you the N00bs mission if frobbed. The road southward leads passed the the N00Bz hangout.

To your left is the subway station and a stairway. Up the stairs is the canal, across the canal is market square. So named because it is square shaped and commerce takes place there. Whoever is the guy at the pushcart. The Fan Fic Shop is the north western building, Lt. Boomers Coffee Shop is the north eastern building. Directly north of market square is a giant ramp leading up to the Llama temple. At this time it is closed. Abomination, the man in the giant power armor, can give you a mission to retrieve a wayward kidnapped Llama worshiper.

To your right is a building, but if you go forward a bit then to your right is a way to get to the southern side of the map. Coming down those stairs the QuickStop would be on your left, Helga's Kraut Kastle on your right. Passed them is Main Street. Up some stairs and eastward is Sol's Bar and Grille and Aemer's apartment building. Taking Main Street westward will lead to the abandoned building the Goat Cult uses for interrogation and the north-south street the N00Bz hangout is on.

If those directions aren't incomprehensible I'm out of practice.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Somewhat less hypothetical Narcissus walkthrough

Post by bobby 55 »

Oh Chris I'm laughing so much now there are tears running down my cheeks. What a brilliant take on a much loved game. By the way my vision is augmented. lol.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

A theoretically fun and entertaining walkthrough, this be.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

chris the cynic wrote:Open the console (t by default) delete "say," type, "give WeaponKatana" and then open your inventory and have a look at the description of your new weapon. Isn't it amazing? It's like they knew.
Actually the description is kind of a dumb thing, since this is what Slicer carries if you meet him the second time in a WC playthrough.
chris the cynic wrote: Behind the counter of the Fan Fic Shop you will find me. I've always been nice to you haven't I? Don't hurt me or disrupt my business.
More vagaries. LOL
chris the cynic wrote: Open the legend menu and create the flag allied_WC (set it to true) find Kylie and talk to her.
Cool, I'll have to try this. Thanks.
chris the cynic wrote: Break the righthand mirror on the dance floor, retrieve egg number 3. At this point people are probably running and screaming, Jackie is probably shooting at you (if she is alive and conscious.)
Not if you use your fists.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

ggrotz wrote:
chris the cynic wrote:Open the console (t by default) delete "say," type, "give WeaponKatana" and then open your inventory and have a look at the description of your new weapon. Isn't it amazing? It's like they knew.
Actually the description is kind of a dumb thing, since this is what Slicer carries if you meet him the second time in a WC playthrough.
Slicer is carrying Slicer's katana. Or at least he bloody well should be.

Yes. I, an American, just said, "bloody well."
chris the cynic wrote: Break the righthand mirror on the dance floor, retrieve egg number 3. At this point people are probably running and screaming, Jackie is probably shooting at you (if she is alive and conscious.)
Not if you use your fists.
If you're following the walkthrough you've already killed Kylie. If you can do that with your fists I salute you. Somehow I think that would still create a ruckus though.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Well, you could have just told me you would make a walkthrough much better than mine... than I would have spared the effort! :P
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

I've found yours useful so far. Thank you for making it.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

"if something doesn't interest you you would be do well to avoid doing it."- I like that. There's lots of content in TNM. There were lots of texts that I was too busy playing the game to want to read. Later on, I wanted to read them.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Well, you could have just told me you would make a walkthrough much better than mine... than I would have spared the effort! :P
Not better, just not the same. ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Chris, this is the best thing, since... well to be honest a lot of really great things have happened this week, so I'd rather not go there, but this is still one of the better ones! I was laughing out loud at some of your remarks. This is a brilliant companion piece to Hassat's walkthrough, a sort of third-playthrough-walkthrough if you will, and it certainly helps that it's really funny. If you'll be so nice as to finish it, I'd really like to chuck it up on the wiki next to Hassat's. I know it'll be a lot of work to get it done, but I hope you can find the time, because I really enjoyed reading this. I may even be able to contribute a few details if you miss them ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Jonas wrote:Chris, this is the best thing, since... well to be honest a lot of really great things have happened this week, so I'd rather not go there, but this is still one of the better ones! I was laughing out loud at some of your remarks. This is a brilliant companion piece to Hassat's walkthrough, a sort of third-playthrough-walkthrough if you will, and it certainly helps that it's really funny.
Thank you for the kind words.
If you'll be so nice as to finish it, I'd really like to chuck it up on the wiki next to Hassat's. I know it'll be a lot of work to get it done, but I hope you can find the time, because I really enjoyed reading this.
I hope to finish it, but I have no idea when I would. Could be soon, could be the opposite.
I may even be able to contribute a few details if you miss them ;)
That sounds good.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

bobby 55 wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:Well, you could have just told me you would make a walkthrough much better than mine... than I would have spared the effort! :P
Not better, just not the same. ;)
Narcissus dissaproves of your comment.

You can press your DELETE COMMENT button in 5...4...3...2...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Oh no, this poor fleshling is toast. :P
TheConEgo
Thug

Post by TheConEgo »

Made my day, Chris. :)
There are three types of people in this world; those who can count, and those who cannot.

Welcome to where time stands still
No one leaves and no one will
Moon is full, never seems to change
Just labeled mentally deranged
john00
NSF

Post by john00 »

In conclusion, setting up a TV antenna can be a great way to enjoy free, high-quality TV channels without the need for expensive cable or satellite services. By following these steps and taking the time to set up your antenna properly, you can ensure that you get the best possible reception and enjoy your favorite shows without interruption. my company