Can't get TNM to work with Windows 7

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Scorpion8754
Mole Person

Can't get TNM to work with Windows 7

Post by Scorpion8754 »

I recently had the urge to replay TNM, but since I played it last I had upgraded to windows 7, I also have a second hard drive with Windows XP that I can boot into mainly for recovery purposes. I installed TNM and got the black and white box glitch, so I changed to any and all rendering devices available, but with no result. Out of desperation I booted into XP and tried to run it on there with no problems. It was the same file on the same hard drive, but with a completely different result. This wouldn't be much of an issue if it weren't for me not using windows XP very often, and it's a major inconvenience to have to restart my PC whenever I feel like playing TNM.

So I guess my question is; is there any way for me to get TNM to work on windows 7?

Oh, and one last thing. Deus Ex runs fine on Windows 7, it's just TNM that won't run.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Can't get TNM to work with Windows 7

Post by bobby 55 »

I set the compatibility to Windows 98 for DX and TNM, and TNM runs fine on my W 7. Have you a multi-core processor?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Odd, if you use the original DX renderer, there's no real difference between running TNM and running Deus Ex - did you try copying your renderer line over from DX to TNM?

First, though, Windows 7 has an XP compatibility mode - try running TNM in that :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Scorpion8754
Mole Person

Post by Scorpion8754 »

Thanks for the support, but none of it seems to work, I've ran TNM in just about every compatibility mode and always end up with the URender::DrawFrame message on exit, and yes I am running a multi-core processor

EDIT: Somthing quite peculiar happened, I seemed to have discovered that the shortcuts seem to be causing it, which is very weird. But if I just run the TNM.exe it seems to work fine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

This may help if you haven't tried it yet.

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

Edit: Yeah, I think there's a thread about that (shortcuts) somewhere. I better leave that to the more qualified though. :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Scorpion8754 wrote:EDIT: Somthing quite peculiar happened, I seemed to have discovered that the shortcuts seem to be causing it, which is very weird. But if I just run the TNM.exe it seems to work fine
I'm afraid that's because if you just run the TNM.exe, you're actually running Deus Ex instead of TNM. The parameters in the shortcut cause the game to start up with the mod.

Have you tried completely reinstalling the game and the mod?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Scorpion8754
Mole Person

Post by Scorpion8754 »

When I run the TNM.exe it actually goes to the TNM menu and I can load my TNM game, but if I go to new game it goes into the Deus Ex game, is that normal?

And yes, I've tried reinstalling

On one of my saves it does say "play class not detected, reinstall" after a loading screen then Treskon turns into JC
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yikes, no that shouldn't be happening when you start a new game, it usually goes to the intro movie with DD after the menu comes up. In your TNM user.ini does the default player name read TNM. Trestkon?
Scorpion8754
Mole Person

Post by Scorpion8754 »

Yes, it does
Scorpion8754
Mole Person

Post by Scorpion8754 »

I just found the solution, and it all makes sense. I had recently recovered from a bit of a system crash on Windows 7 and had to reformat, but I neglected to update my graphics card drivers, my windows XP is located on a separate hard drive, so the drivers weren't changed.

I figured this out when I launched facade because I felt like experiencing some hilarity and it told me my drivers were out of date, basically. So I updated it and all is well.

I also did a clean re-installation of Deus Ex and TNM cause somthing was fucked up with the user files. Thanks for the help and sorry for wasting your time.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No problem, glad you got it sorted :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Scorpion8754 wrote:
Thanks for the help and sorry for wasting your time.
The time wasn't wasted as that's another avenue we can try if things go pear shaped. :smile:
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

TNM doesn't work with only 7 windows. Deus Ex requires at least 98. Linux has nearly unlimited windows, but perhaps too many as TNM doesn't work well with it either.

It's good to post about these issues, since people will be searching for them. Now there's a solution posted for an uncommon issue.
johnshrapnel
Thug

Post by johnshrapnel »

Scorpion8754 wrote:Oh, and one last thing. Deus Ex runs fine on Windows 7, it's just TNM that won't run.
Hmmm . . . not for me. It seems to install fine. Then after selecting the audio/video stuff, it sez Deus Ex will run for the first time. Then it tells me to insert the disc (which of course is still in there).

Any ideas why this might happen? Driver issue maybe?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Not sure, no windows 7 here. Did you run Deus Ex before installing TNM? There's also the INI trick for redirecting the cd check from the CD drive to c:\DeusEx