Having trouble compiling TNM.U

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
MR.F.
Thug

Having trouble compiling TNM.U

Post by MR.F. »

Hello,
I'm having 2 different (but perhaps related) issues with compiling TNM.U. I'm trying to make a few simple changes with skill points, weapon damage, inventory sizes, and other easy value change things.

First, when installing the Deus Ex SDK, it doesn't install the DeusEx subfolder for some reason (the folder that contains all the*.uc files for different stuff). It only installs one DeusExConversations and DeusExText. Then it installs the Conversation Editor but has trouble registering the mfc40.dll. It can't do it, so then it quits.

I have a separate Deus Ex install with the shifter mod, and I have the DeusEx *.uc classes subfolder (plus all the other DeusExXXXXX subfolders), so I decided to try using that Deus Ex install to modify the TNM.U. I downloaded the TNM SDK and copied all the folders into the Deus Ex main folder, following Trestkon's instructions in this thread: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... =32&t=9984

But I still got a couple errors. First, I got an error saying the DXOgg package/folder was missing. I didn't see that folder in the TNM SDK. I tried removing that line from DeusEx.ini (along with "precipitation" and "UMenu" because I didn't have those folders either). But then I get this error:

"Superclass DXOggMusicManager of class TNMOggMusicManager not found

History: UMakeCommandlet::Main

Exiting due to error"

I imagine that's related to not having DXOgg. Should that be in the TNM SDK? Am I missing more stuff?

I'm new to making changes to the Deus Ex classes, so I could be way off base with both of these problems. Could someone point me in the right direction with anything?

Thanks
Prophet
NSF

Re: Having trouble compiling TNM.U

Post by Prophet »

PM AdamJensen...
He has links to many different things...
He has assisted me with a handful of things...
THE PROPHET
AdamJensen
NSF

Post by AdamJensen »

Sorry,

I am not sure about this.

PS: You should try UCCMake, and uninstall Shifter.
Prophet
NSF

Post by Prophet »

Ok, honestly, he had all the links that I needed. I wasn't expecting him to have nothing here....
THE PROPHET
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Drop DXOgg.u and DXOgg.dll into the System folder of the install you are running ucc make from. You should find these files from a TNM install. Also make sure your EditPackages=DXOgg is above any TNM stuff in DeusEx.ini.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
MR.F.
Thug

Post by MR.F. »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Drop DXOgg.u and DXOgg.dll into the System folder of the install you are running ucc make from. You should find these files from a TNM install. Also make sure your EditPackages=DXOgg is above any TNM stuff in DeusEx.ini.
Thanks, I don't think I would have figured that part out. DXOgg.dll was already in "..\System", but I moved DXOgg.u and that helped. I'm getting closer. "ucc make" gets all the way to the TNM package.

I get the error:
..\TNM\Classes\tnmMission22.uc(121): Error, unrecognized type 'CaroneElevator'
Failed due to errors.

History: CompileError <-TryCompile {and it goes on and on}

Exiting due to error
I tried copying CaroneElevatorSet.u from "..\TNM\System" to "..\System", but that didn't do make a difference.

This is my editpackage order:
EditPackages=Core
EditPackages=Engine
EditPackages=Editor
EditPackages=Fire
EditPackages=IpDrv
EditPackages=UWindow
EditPackages=UBrowser
EditPackages=Extension
EditPackages=DeusExUI
EditPackages=ConSys
EditPackages=DeusExConversations
EditPackages=DeusExSounds
EditPackages=DeusExItems
EditPackages=DeusExDeco
EditPackages=DeusExCharacters
EditPackages=MPCharacters
EditPackages=DeusExText
EditPackages=IpServer
EditPackages=DeusEx
EditPackages=DXOgg
EditPackages=precipitation
EditPackages=TNMNative
EditPackages=TNMText
EditPackages=TNMDataVault
EditPackages=TNMConvos1
EditPackages=TNMConvos2
EditPackages=TNM
EditPackages=TNMitems
EditPackages=TNMDeco
EditPackages=TNMCharacters
EditPackages=TNMGUI
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Try adding EditPackages=CaroneElevatorSet just below of EditPackages=DeusEx.
MR.F.
Thug

Post by MR.F. »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Try adding EditPackages=CaroneElevatorSet just below of EditPackages=DeusEx.
That worked! I still haven't gotten past compiling the TNM classes though. Now my next issue is:
..\TNM\Classes\tnmconplay.uc(665) : Error, Unrecognized member 'playMode' in class 'ConEventAnimation'
Failed due to errors.

History: CompileError <- TryCompile blah blah blah

Exiting due to error.
In tnmconplay.uc, both terms "playMode" and "displayMode" exist. Just double-checking, but those two are different things, right?

Thanks again to everyone for walking me through this.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Try overwriting ConSys.u in your System folder with the same file from TNM\System.
MR.F.
Thug

Post by MR.F. »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Try overwriting ConSys.u in your System folder with the same file from TNM\System.
That worked! I can recompile TNM.u. I do have one last question. It seems like the TNMitems classes aren't compiled into TNM.u, but in TNMitems.u. So, changes I make to those classes don't get updated. How do I compile TNMitems.u?

Thanks!
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

You do the same as you did for TNM.u. You need to have the scripts in a folder in your root DX folder i.e. C:\DeusEx\. Then you need to remove TNMitems.u and then hit ucc make.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

If you want to do development on TNM I would suggest just having the one System folder and overwriting all deus ex .u files as required. That's how we did the dev on tnm.
kocmo
Thug

Post by kocmo »

that guy wrote:If you want to do development on TNM I would suggest just having the one System folder and overwriting all deus ex .u files as required. That's how we did the dev on tnm.
Or you can use Link Shell Extension, and softlink/hardlink/junction your files and folder around the way your heart desires :-) No more worrying about outdated duplicates being left around, or spending manual effort on keeping .ini files in sync.