Any way to increase font size for high resolutions?

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Any way to increase font size for high resolutions?

Post by DDL »

I'll have a look when I get back home, and if not, just add a bool switch to force small conplay fonts.

Nothing fancy like adding fucking menu options, of course. I'm not insane.
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

Ok, i made accaunt just to ask for some solution: i have deus ex GOTY and tnm mod(win executable) + patch 1.02.
Fonts in 1280x1024 are way TOOOOOO small, i have 17" screen and in deus it changed sizes. I wanted to change this 'root='
line but it was already changed. Still i have small fonts and in smaller resolutions mod looks crap.
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Where was the ini file you opened?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

In the e/deusex/system, as you said.

edit: oh gosh, i chousen wrong file.. shame on me, i go try change it.. thanks for helping me realize my mistake.

edit: Yes, now it work, sorry for bothering you with so nooby problem.
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No problem :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

And there is not a way to fix text runing out of screen, right? This getting kind of annoying glitch when 1/3 of texts do such suprise.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well I dunno, I've played in 1280x1024 and it worked fine for me. If you change that line in your ini there should no longer be a difference between what you get in TNM and what you get in DX. But maybe DDL will put me straight, he knows the code better than I.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

But it is, i don't know, maybe deus ex have shorter conversations.. i run deus on 10280x1024 and no problems tho..
PleegWat
NSF

Post by PleegWat »

I've seen the same issue on 1280x1024. Without changing the root= line, hud texts are nearly unreadable. If you do change the root= line, hud is readable again, but it still uses larger fonts for conversations which mean those don't fit on the screen.

I think I eventually settled for disabling hud transparency to get the hud readable - The TNM hud theme is too transparent to be easily readable at 1280x1024.

FYI, I'm on a 17" flatpanel.
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

The fonts are like 2x bigger on 1280x1024 in tnm then in ds. Should it be so? HUD is scaled ok.
CP5670
Mole Person

Post by CP5670 »

1280 looks fine, but there isn't really any good solution for significantly higher resolutions right now. Either datacube text is too small or conversation text goes off the screen. I believe the 1.03 patch will have a switch to revert to what the original Deus Ex does.

I'm just holding off on this mod until that patch comes out. Is there any estimated release date on it?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No. It could be next month, it could be October. It's not high priority for us, we're pretty confident that all urgent issues have been fixed.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Azzo
Mole Person

Post by Azzo »

Just getting TNM setup. TNM 1.04+, using DX10 renderer, New Vision, HDTP.

Running at 1920x1200, and I found the fonts and GUI unplayably small so I did the root= change described in this thread. That makes the GUI match Deus Ex, yay! But now the dialog options often run off the screen, as seen in this thread.

The interesting thing though is that Deus Ex is setup with the same renderer and display setting, but it does not have the same issues on the dialog screens, and it's not because Deux Ex uses less text or has few options.

See this link for a comparison of the GUI and conversation screens between Deus Ex and TNM: http://azzo.imgur.com/namelessmodfontsizeproblem#NK9w7

There are four images there, a GUI shot and a conversation shot from each. The GUI shots are identical, the conversation screens are not. In fact, it looks like the actual space on the screen allocated to show the conversation is less in TNM, and if it was the same, the current font might work fine.

Is there an .ini tweak to revert either the fonts or the dialog display area back to the original game style? Something like the root= tweak, but for that screen?
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

Try running

Code: Select all

toggleconvofonts
in the console (~ or 'T' and erase 'say '), alternatively maybe

Code: Select all

set trestkon bUseSmallConplayfonts true
but the former SHOULD work, and save your config for you.
NVShacker
Are you still there?
Azzo
Mole Person

Post by Azzo »

Awesome, that works: http://azzo.imgur.com/namelessmodfontsizeproblem#O0OvV

The smaller size adds an extra line to the conversation. It looks like 5 line responses are super rare so the fifth line isn't really necessary.

I'll add this info to the HD wiki page: http://thenamelessmod.com/wiki/TNM_HD That's what I using as my install guide when I ran into this issue. 1920 screen at 22-24 inches are pretty common; it is really nice to have a regular sized GUI without resorting to a non-native resolution.