can a brother get a lol cat (AI solution)

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
TylerT
Mole Person

can a brother get a lol cat (AI solution)

Post by TylerT »

LOVE THE MOD, now thats over.

So it's clear that Deus Ex AI is a bit twitchy, while it's ok for a few firewalls to be twitchy it can be a game ender if you draw agro from the wrong source forget about it and then later have to deal with an angry moderator.

Given this is a hard problem to solve I propose giving players a new item called a lolcat. The lolcat when used would reset all AI in an area based on what path you have taken. Much like lolcat images can be used on real forums to defuse flame wars the lol cat would would defuse the temporary conflict in the game.

or you could just fix the AI
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: can a brother get a lol cat (AI solution)

Post by Jonas »

TylerT wrote:Given this is a hard problem to solve I propose giving players a new item called a lolcat.
Heh, nice. But no.
Will do, as soon as you replace the physics system with something PhysX-ish and the lighting system with something CryEngine-esque. Get to work!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Is there a console command or something like that to placate a hostile NPC? :P That could be handy. Maybe some sort of set type command, like 'set jonas bhostile false' or some shit.

Edit: 'set jonas attitudetoplayer attitude_friendly'?

Edit 2: 'set jonas likesneutral true' maybe?
TylerT
Mole Person

Post by TylerT »

Jonas wrote:
TylerT wrote:Given this is a hard problem to solve I propose giving players a new item called a lolcat.
Heh, nice. But no.
Will do, as soon as you replace the physics system with something PhysX-ish and the lighting system with something CryEngine-esque. Get to work!
But then the game won't run on my old bottom of the line PC! Anyway I fell asleep reading the first page of my C++ book. Thats when I figured out table top game design was for me! i could write a rocking deus ex tabletop game with sweet terrain rules and light the miniatures well, that would be a little bit like a PhysX-ish and CryEngine-esque experience.

It speaks only to the fantastic quality of your mod that even after restarting a third time because of AI issues I'm super enjoying everything.
stucuk
NSF

Post by stucuk »

Jonas wrote:Will do, as soon as you replace the physics system with something PhysX-ish and the lighting system with something CryEngine-esque. Get to work!
PhysX sucks(It has a tendancy for objects to "Blow up"). Would it actualy be possible to use a different physics library, or is that done in the actual EXE rather than unreal scripts?
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Jonas wrote:
Heh, nice. But no.
TNM gets enough hate based on its setting without having a lolcat item... yeah I actually read through most of that YCS shit. Stupid people thinking the entire thing is a joke mod about internet memes.... ironically some of the funniest conversations (I think) are actually the ones that are serious and/or don't involve any mention of internets, memes, tnm, etc.

I think he mostly just meant to turn down their twitchyness a little bit and stuff... which you already seem to be doing. :)
BoneofMalkav
Thug

Post by BoneofMalkav »

stucuk wrote:
Jonas wrote:Will do, as soon as you replace the physics system with something PhysX-ish and the lighting system with something CryEngine-esque. Get to work!
PhysX sucks(It has a tendancy for objects to "Blow up").
Try telling that to NVidia...
Existence is overshadowing.Severance is forbearing. Difference is continuous. Self Destruction is imminent. Pain brings dreams to closure. Death brings Life to those unchanged by the Hues of Madness
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

JC_Helios wrote:I think he mostly just meant to turn down their twitchyness a little bit and stuff... which you already seem to be doing. :)
Yeah maybe, but while this should fix (or at least radically minimize) the problem with plot-critical NPC's turning hostile for no damn reason, you'll still get the occasional oddness where a group of allies will turn hostile upon seeing you kill a common enemy. The only way to fix this that I know of is to make them not react to "distress" events, but then you can also shoot their friends in the face one by one and nobody will react. So unless we actually did re-write the AI from scratch, it's a lose-lose situation. And that's just not gonna happen.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
TylerT
Mole Person

Post by TylerT »

lets get meta!

BTW: fixing the AI was a joke, i wait for the 1.01 with bated breath

BTW: you have cute cats Jonas
Pointman
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Pointman »

pretending to be absent
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

*Cough*

Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Pointman
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Pointman »

pwned.
pretending to be absent
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You have a nice cat, Pointman :)

Small though.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Pointman
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Pointman »

...trying to pimp it everywhere I can. Yeah.

I know, your ubercats rock.
pretending to be absent
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

(cough) excuse me, she got jealous...