Patch 1.0.2

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Patch 1.0.2

Post by Jaedar »

chris the cynic wrote: While that is a perfectly legitimate point, I more or less stand by what I said. Because the mission to get the free pass only becomes available after you have enough money to pay for a pass legitimately the incentive to complete the mission is money and only money. (Meta reasons aside.)
Well, Either money, or feeling sympathy for NVShacker and wanting to help him get his job back :)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

AgentSmithereens wrote:Chris do you know why the free pass mission sometimes becomes available immediately after you exit the apartments?
Jonas wrote:Nobody knows. It is a mystery.
Approximately 7 weeks back I attempted to find what item in my inventory seemed to control when I would receive the free subway pass PM form Scara, upon exiting Phas's apartment building for the first time in game.
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 861#p49861
The key item I found was the aug cannister in Phas's bedroom safe.

Jonas denied categorically that the presence of the cannister in a player's inventory controls when a player will get that PM from Scara, and that the PM is solely tied to a player having earned 1500 credits during gameplay.

Jenifur Charne
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

JeniSkunk wrote:
Approximately 7 weeks back I attempted to find what item in my inventory seemed to control when I would receive the free subway pass PM form Scara, upon exiting Phas's apartment building for the first time in game.
viewtopic.php?p=49861#p49861
The key item I found was the aug cannister in Phas's bedroom safe.

Jonas denied categorically that the presence of the cannister in a player's inventory controls when a player will get that PM from Scara, and that the PM is solely tied to a player having earned 1500 credits during gameplay.
I just installed TNM and the 1.0.2 patch to try this out, and getting the canister does not trigger the PM. Maybe its a specific dialogue option that you pick while talking to Phas, but I went straight in, got the canister, and came straight out, and there was no mention of a free pass.
JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

loony636 wrote:I just installed TNM and the 1.0.2 patch to try this out, and getting the canister does not trigger the PM. Maybe its a specific dialogue option that you pick while talking to Phas, but I went straight in, got the canister, and came straight out, and there was no mention of a free pass.
That's what makes the early appearance of that free pass PM so puzzling.
Not knowing what precisely triggers it.

All I have to go on, is what item has to be in my inventory to trigger it in my install of TNM patched to 1.0.2.
Jonas said that sometimes a particular variable is not cleared on game restart under certain circumstances. But with the way I carried out the tests I ran, there should have been nothing carried over to store in that variable.

AgentSmithereens has yet to post if he's done any thorough tests to ID what is causing the PM to show up early in his game.

Jenifur Charne
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

JeniSkunk wrote: But with the way I carried out the tests I ran, there should have been nothing carried over to store in that variable.
Should? Why are you sure?

I started Deus Ex, then started a game and had no credits earned, discovered by means of voodoo. There was no PM. I loaded a save from near the end of a previous game and I had 26 thousand and something credits earned. Then I started a game and still had 26 thousand credits earned. Then I got the PM early.
Jaedar wrote:Well, Either money, or feeling sympathy for NVShacker and wanting to help him get his job back :)
You felt sympathy and you sent him back to WorldCorp?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Chris Rosenkreutz wrote:
Jaedar wrote:Well, Either money, or feeling sympathy for NVShacker and wanting to help him get his job back :)
You felt sympathy and you sent him back to WorldCorp?
Better to have a sucky job than no job.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Has anybody ever even noticed what happens to NVShacker if you help him get his job back, come to think of it? It's easy to miss.

Also, you are awesome in all sorts of ways, Chris.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

No. I've looked for it and still couldn't find any sign of him. I've read the mission script so I think I'm looking in the right area.

Thanks but 1.0.3 is about to come out and I've not really been much help to you.

Speaking of 1.0.3, I'm disappointed at the lack of fist related fixes in the proposed list. You know that fist skill doesn't increase the damage as claimed? Confirmed with the targeting Aug. WeaponFists doesn't have a GoverningSkill. And that EMP gloves don't work on laser tripwires? That alone would be enough to make me spend skill points.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Chris Rosenkreutz wrote:And that EMP gloves don't work on laser tripwires? That alone would be enough to make me spend skill points.
Neither does the EMP gun. (At least, I never managed)
Jonas wrote:Has anybody ever even noticed what happens to NVShacker if you help him get his job back, come to think of it? It's easy to miss.
doesn't he wind up in the basement that does not exist, dead? Think I read that somewhere on the forumz :)
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Chris Rosenkreutz wrote:Thanks but 1.0.3 is about to come out and I've not really been much help to you.
You have no obligation to.
Speaking of 1.0.3, I'm disappointed at the lack of fist related fixes in the proposed list. You know that fist skill doesn't increase the damage as claimed? Confirmed with the targeting Aug. WeaponFists doesn't have a GoverningSkill.
Oooh errrrrr... I've told Shane, we'll see if that fix can make it into the patch - depends how far Lawrence has got with compiling it.
And that EMP gloves don't work on laser tripwires? That alone would be enough to make me spend skill points.
Probably unfixable - same thing with the EMP pistol. The problem is that tripwires don't have collision, or something, so you can't actually hit them with anything that isn't an area of effect weapon. DDL explained it to me once, it's around here somewhere.

Jaedar: Correct.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

JeniSkunk wrote:
AgentSmithereens has yet to post if he's done any thorough tests to ID what is causing the PM to show up early in his game.

Jenifur Charne
Well I can tell you that it's got nothing to do with the aug thing in your inventory. I did the level without picking up any items, and the PM still showed up (3 times in a row IIRC). At first I thought it was triggered by going outside before listening to the whole of KK's PM, but after trying that again, it didn't work so I'm not so sure.

There is footage on Youtube of this bug - here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVdx7CadVY
Maybe you could analyse that and see what's causing it.
In the meantime I'll have an experiment too.
JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

Chris Rosenkreutz wrote:
JeniSkunk wrote: But with the way I carried out the tests I ran, there should have been nothing carried over to store in that variable.
Should? Why are you sure?
My testing method is listed here, Chris.
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 876#p49876
With a cold launch of TNM for each test; and only selecting New Game from the main menu each time, that variable should have had nothing stored in it for each new game during my tests.
I started Deus Ex, then started a game and had no credits earned, discovered by means of voodoo. There was no PM. I loaded a save from near the end of a previous game and I had 26 thousand and something credits earned. Then I started a game and still had 26 thousand credits earned. Then I got the PM early.
That's the variable carry-over which I referred to, you ran straight into, and Jonas was talking about in this post:
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 863#p49863
AgentSmithereens wrote: Well I can tell you that it's got nothing to do with the aug thing in your inventory. I did the level without picking up any items, and the PM still showed up (3 times in a row IIRC). At first I thought it was triggered by going outside before listening to the whole of KK's PM, but after trying that again, it didn't work so I'm not so sure.

There is footage on Youtube of this bug - here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVdx7CadVY
Thanks for that info AgentSmithereens.
Even though it adds creedence to disproving my situation regarding that aug cannister, there's definitely got to be something screwball happening to cause that PM to trigger early.

When I was doing my tests, I didn't think to try leaving Phas's apartment building with no items.

Jenifur Charne
JeniSkunk
UNATCO

Post by JeniSkunk »

AgentSmithereens wrote: There is footage on Youtube of this bug - here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVdx7CadVY
Just watched 'Let's play TNM (The nameless mod) 1'
In that video, the player did have the aug cannister in the inventory when he exited Phas's apartment building.
Inventory item 3 in the inventory.
Would have been nice to know which patch the player was using though.

The convo options with Phas in the video were the same ones I used in my tests.

Jenifur Charne
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Darn it... now I am curious... let's run TNM (1.0.2) and try it out.

Results: Tomorrow (and yeah; it's definitely NOT the aug cannister, since in all 8 games of TNM till date I did that, and never got it early actually.)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I'm not sure it's got anything to do with the patches, since I've never patched my game and am getting it, whilst others are also getting it with 9.0.2.
And I'm not sure it's to do with the Phasmatis dialogue options either.