Critical Error trying to open Safe in Phasmatis' Apartment

Let us help you solve any problems you might have with TNM. This forum should remain spoiler-free - if your problem is spoilery in nature, please post in the forum above.

Moderator: TNM Team

Forum rules
Please only use this forum for problems of a technical nature. If you're stuck somewhere in the game, post in the TNM Spoiler Zone forum. If the game crashes, you can't load a savegame, or something just plain isn't working, this is the place to post.
JamieAllegro
Mole Person

Critical Error trying to open Safe in Phasmatis' Apartment

Post by JamieAllegro »

Critical Error

Assertion Failed: Playing.Channel [File:D:\prj\clean\Galaxy\Src\UnGalaxy.cpp] [Line: 1897]

History: Start Simple <- Update Sounds <- UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::Update <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsCleint::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- XGameEngineExt::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

I had previously installed HDTP and Shifter. I made backups of the files shifter replaces in the system folder and restored them due to another issue I was having that prevented me from even starting the game, but I didn't get far in before I got hit with this.

I run Windows XP, Pentium 2.4 core 2 duo (set to single core for deus ex), Radeon X1650 video card, Soundblaster X-Fi Pro... dunno what else might be relevant.

This a known problem?

As an aside and since this is my first post, the mod seems pretty cool, the lack of voice acting has always prevented me from downloading storyline/total conversion mods but this one seems to be a pretty complete package. Of course I don't know the inside info/jokes with it but the quality is very high.
JamieAllegro
Mole Person

Re: Critical Error trying to open Safe in Phasmatis' Apartment

Post by JamieAllegro »

Oh, and since I can't seem to find an edit button: I did install version 1.0.2, if it'd make a difference.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Why the fuck do you have my old computer's spec?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey Jamie, I assume you get this consistently?

The crash is a sound-related engine error. I don't really understand why you'd get it when opening Phas's safe - it does make a sound, but it's not an area with a lot of sounds playing at once. If you keep getting it, the best I can do is recommend you reinstall the whole game (including Deus Ex) and start over. Thankfully you're not that far in, so it shouldn't be too great an inconvenience.

It's possible that the issue is with your sound card, the X-Fi Pro. I don't know if it has any compatibility issues with Deus Ex. If you feel like doing some manual debugging, the game's sound settings would be the place to start. A possible solution might be to switch to another renderer (the instructions are in the Troubleshooting section of our manual), but I can't guarantee it'll produce results.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Just got the same error now. I'm at the beginning of the game, just having left a building, outside for the first time, just after being told about a subway. Not wanting to add spoilers there. It's the same crash as this-
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... =32&t=1925

WinXP, Intel, Abit MB, nvidia 8800GT, different from the OP's system. I've a Chaintech AV-710 based on Envy24 by VIA, a Non-Creative PCI sound card. Unlikely to be the sound card. DXDIAG has it set to "Full Acceleration", which it probably shouldn't be set to. I'm going to set it to Standard Acceleration, and maybe that'll fix the problem. Also just changed it to OpenGL renderer (may have been in DirectX before?).
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

The galaxy crashes... while caused for a reason; usually happen with very specific timing, and therefore are next to impossible to replicate. Thus; it should be pretty hard to get a consistent crash at one location. Does it happen all the time?

I've had the one in the Slums (day 2, going towards the Admiral), and there is a pretty nasty one near Pimp-Jojo on day 2 (so far this is the only one for me that can be replicated... numerous times!)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
tommike321
Thug

Post by tommike321 »

Experience professional repairs at Bondoc Roofing. They deliver quality workmanship every time.Partnering with Bondoc Roofing for my repair needs was the best decision I made. They're reliable and efficient.
https://telegra.ph/Why-San-Antonio-Home ... view-03-14