Graphic Novel

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
SimonDenton
NSF

Graphic Novel

Post by SimonDenton »

In my mod Summer 101 I want to tell the story mostly by using graphic novel scenes like in max payne. Anyone know how? I know it's possible since TNM had their logo appear during the intro with it fading in. For the graphic novel scene its the same sort of thing but somehow we need to have a conversation trigger that lets the next frame appear and another one for clearing the previous frames and putting in a new one etc.

BTW we have a really good story up our sleeves!

Cheers
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Re: Graphic Novel

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Well, take a look at how OTP made Treskton fade-in, and in the Narc ending make Trestkon fade-out.

Not sure if original DX allows those function, but it doesn't hurt to try...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Your problem is going to be that the game only accepts 256x256 images, so if you want to have a comic panel that takes up 640x480, you're going to need 6 images lined up right. That gets unwieldy real fast.

But it can be done, of course. Look at our CreditsImageTrigger. It only supports 2 textures right now, but if you got somebody who can code, you should be able to expand it on your own. Ignore what Hassat said :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Well, he asked how to do the fade-in, fade-out stuff...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah on UI textures, not on game world objects or characters ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

Why not just make a map, then assign the texture for the graphic novel to the wall of a room and you can use the camera to move on to each different panel on your graphic novel... that way you can have it in as high resolution as you want.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I know that Clive Barkers Undying used 4 256x256 textures when its loading a new map area as it used the four textures to show a map of where you where and where your going. You could do something like this, I don't recall the code now as I don't have the game installed.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

Maybe we could make maps with movers or brushes textured with the graphic novel grames. We could somehow make the lighting fade in smoothly. Reckon that's possible? If so how?
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

You could just have multiple brushes and have the texture on each wall as the graphic novel, and then use a trigger to fade the lights in and out...
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

Sorry to be the noob that I still am, how do you fade in the lights?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Using the original DX1 you'd have to chop them up, this is how they did the Demo splash that comes up when the game exits.

However as I recall the OpenGL improvements (that patch thing that was released a while ago) allowed for HD resolution textures, this is why New Vision was able to hit the resolutions it can. I can't confirm this though because we never tried to use the UI with it. If someone could confirm it though I'll be very happy because its something I have wanted to HD Mod for some time.
SimonDenton
NSF

Post by SimonDenton »

If I know how to make a splash image come up, pause gameplay, trigger sound with it and then make it disappear, then it will all work out :D