Idea for a small mod - Diablo Style for DX

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Morpheus
X-51

Idea for a small mod - Diablo Style for DX

Post by Morpheus »

Since my mod is kinda stopped for now due to other things and me not having time to work on it for a long time, and been thinking of something as I do want to release a mod. I was thinking on one that could be done without too much trouble and could be added to easily.

I have been playing a lot of Diablo and Diablo II before and wanted to make a deus ex mod based on Diablo world. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I have been thinking that this could work and few things possible:

Spawning monsters using a modified pawn generator to spawn a certian number of monsters and when one died, another was spawned to take its place

Making a "kill point" system so when you got enough kill points, you'd reciece skill points. (Same as leveling up in Diablo) need a slightly modified skill system to remove electronic devices and computers. Heave weapons would be something like a strong weaponsword or something and demolitions would be a "exploding potion" made using something like a ambrosia vial mesh for it and using code to make it explode or making similar using Gas Grenade code to make it "Gas Potion" etc...

Making NPC monsters drop a random weapon when dead, or drop nothing or making some items harder to appear than others "rare or Unique" items.

Only things I don't see possible:

Having armour, rings, amulets and caps/hemls...you could use a modified ballistic armour to make armour or something.

Not sure if waypoints/town portals could be done as with having items needing identifiying

Not sure how selling/buing items would work or if it would work

Ideas/thoughts? I can start makiing the maps as they would not be hard to do, but rest needs thought.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Kee715
Illuminati

Re: Idea for a small mod - Diablo Style for DX

Post by Kee715 »

What is Diablo?
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Kee715 wrote:What is Diablo?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=diablo
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Kee715 wrote:What is Diablo?
Oh, dear God..........#-o

Don't worry.......I don't blame you for asking that particular question. Diablo is, much like Deus Ex, one of those few extremely obscure, yet still great PC games that only the most devout fans of the series still play. It was topped by an even better sequel in "Diablo II", and then topped AGAIN with the expansion "Diablo II: Lord of Destruction". These games have received their fair share of modding, although unlike with Deus Ex, it's frowned upon heavily by the developers.
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

These games have received their fair share of modding, although unlike with Deus Ex, it's frowned upon heavily by the developers.
This is probably why they made it so your not going to be able to mod Diablo III very easily when it comes out as Blizzard are stopping people doing it now because of all that
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Odd, since they include a powerful editor with bother WC3 and SC2.

Are we talking about the same Blizzard?
But yeah, even if everyone holies their games, I can't say I like ANY of them. Dunno what it is, they just don't interest me in the slightest.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Morpheus wrote:
These games have received their fair share of modding, although unlike with Deus Ex, it's frowned upon heavily by the developers.
This is probably why they made it so your not going to be able to mod Diablo III very easily when it comes out as Blizzard are stopping people doing it now because of all that
Oh, please.......The only thing they're ever seriously butthurt about with Diablo II modding (besides the obvious fact that ignorant people always try to cheat online) is the fact that someone was actually able to create a massive mod that allows people who play the offline single-player campaign to be able to access "online-only realms" content, and the fact that they have absolutely no control over how people who DO choose to play offline are able to play their games - in other words, they hate the fact that offline characters not only can't be saved on their precious servers, but can also be hacked by players using certain tools to give their characters more powerful equipment or upgrades. Image

<_< That being said........Let's hope that there won't be any "interference" concerning THIS particular mod. :evil:
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Had an idea, I don't know how to do this but would it be possible? Its for the waypoint system that Diablo II has.

In Deus Ex the teleporter lets you only go to one place when you walk onto it or trigger it. However my idea was:

You have one custom teleporter on the map, called "Waypoint" on its tag, this will be on every map, with no changes and only one per map. Now to make it that anyone can add maps to this mod easily, they will just need to add this teleporter as when your in town and trigger the custom teleporter in town, a console appears with a list of all the maps in the same folder as this map is and you click on one and when you click "load" it takes you to the map using the custom teleporter with tag "waypoint" but the menu only appears if you walk onto or frob the teleporter, not when you just spawned into the map.

Also would it be possible to, instead of displaying the name of the map on the list of maps in the same folder such as "DX_Goo.dx" it would look for the map name in its DXLevelinfo and if its blank, just display the map name "DX_Goo.dx"

When you trigger the teleporter it will load the legend, load map menu screen (the one you get after using the legend cheat and pressing load map) but you have to have the town map and the map with the special custom teleporter on the map. If you try to load a map without the custom teleporter, it won't load and will just say "You cannot travel to this location"

Anyone got ideas how I could do this or something like it?
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Morpheus wrote:Had an idea, I don't know how to do this but would it be possible? Its for the waypoint system that Diablo II has.

In Deus Ex the teleporter lets you only go to one place when you walk onto it or trigger it. However my idea was:

You have one custom teleporter on the map, called "Waypoint" on its tag, this will be on every map, with no changes and only one per map. Now to make it that anyone can add maps to this mod easily, they will just need to add this teleporter as when your in town and trigger the custom teleporter in town, a console appears with a list of all the maps in the same folder as this map is and you click on one and when you click "load" it takes you to the map using the custom teleporter with tag "waypoint" but the menu only appears if you walk onto or frob the teleporter, not when you just spawned into the map.

Also would it be possible to, instead of displaying the name of the map on the list of maps in the same folder such as "DX_Goo.dx" it would look for the map name in its DXLevelinfo and if its blank, just display the map name "DX_Goo.dx"

When you trigger the teleporter it will load the legend, load map menu screen (the one you get after using the legend cheat and pressing load map) but you have to have the town map and the map with the special custom teleporter on the map. If you try to load a map without the custom teleporter, it won't load and will just say "You cannot travel to this location"

I'm not sure if this would work, but I remember seeing a mod for TES3: Morrowind that had a series of "gates" in different places throughout the game world. Each one of these gates led to an entirely closed-off cell, containing nothing but doors that were the exit portals for the gates, allowing the person who accessed them to travel freely from area to area. Is it in any way possible to create a "door" at each waypoint that would lead to a cell such as this?
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

CorinthMaxwell wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Had an idea, I don't know how to do this but would it be possible? Its for the waypoint system that Diablo II has.

I'm not sure if this would work, but I remember seeing a mod for TES3: Morrowind that had a series of "gates" in different places throughout the game world. Each one of these gates led to an entirely closed-off cell, containing nothing but doors that were the exit portals for the gates, allowing the person who accessed them to travel freely from area to area. Is it in any way possible to create a "door" at each waypoint that would lead to a cell such as this?
Yes, easily. It would require a little code, but it's quite doable.

Making a script that checks OTHER maps for the presence of some specific feature isn't really doable, though.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Making a script that checks OTHER maps for the presence of some specific feature isn't really doable, though.
OK, how would you just display the list of all maps in the same folder, and when you click on one and press travel, load it? (travel is instead of saying load on the button as your travelling to a location) I don't like the doors idea as its not Diablo like. I could do this with a button instead of using the teleporter as the trigger that loads the map load screen. All I'd need basically is one teleporter in the map you teleport to with a tag called "waypoint" so you can tell the code where to teleport to.

Now how would you code a button to do this when you press it?

I wanted to check the maps name in DXLevelInfo because at least then you'd know what map your teleporting too such as instead of seeing "21_Diablo_Village.dx" you see "Tristram Town" as then it looks better and you know where your going. Would there be a way of doing this via code so that it says predefined names such as "Tristram Town" and when you press "travel" it loads the 21_Diablo_Village.dx on the teleporter with the tag "waypoint"? This way, the list of maps you can visit would be coded instead of loading a list of all maps in the current folder, but I don't mind, its better for me this way.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

If you want a button, I think the easiest would be to give it a bindname and a conversation.
Then in ConEdit, make it run the right trigger (mapload) based on the selected option.

Should be pretty straightforward to do. If you want, you could even add randomness to it...
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Well I could do that, but it would be hard for over 20 maps to load, I'd prefer not to use a conversation if possible.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Hassat Hunter, rethinking an idea for conversation idea....

I wanted a way of making something similar to Diablo waypoints as you know, now using your conversation idea, here is exactly what I would like:

1) you start of in town, when you press the button for first time, your asked: where would you like to travel to? and on first use, there is no options as you have not travelled anywher to find other waypoints.

2) You go to an area outside of town e.g. "Stony Plains" and when you stand on the waypoint, you press a button beside it, this triggers a flag "Stony Plains" and the conversation begins: where would you like to travel to? and now there are two options, "Tristram Town" and "Stony Plains" and everytime you find a new waypoint, another place to travel to gets added to the conversation by a similar flag being triggered like "Rocky Road" etc... and when you choose an option, your taken there

How would you do all of that? I don't know much about flags and this might be a better and easier option for doing this
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Should be pretty simple to do, just add flag checks to the choice, and set the flag as you enter the new area/at the stat of the new "trigger"/conversation.

The only problem is the limited amount of lines you have for choices, so you might need a lot of [NEXT] options (think Chris the Cynic in TNM for example).