Making a standalone mod - is it possible?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Bushwacka
Thug

Making a standalone mod - is it possible?

Post by Bushwacka »

Why I'm even bothering to ask this I have no earthly idea whatsoever, as I don't know the first thing about mod making and am confident that I would never be able to learn, but damn it the ideas I've got going on in my head just WON'T GO AWAY!!! :x

So anyway: if one were making their own mod for DX, is it possible to make it into a standalone game that doesn't actually require DX to be installed? (So I guess not so much a mod anymore but rather a whole separate game.) However impractical the end result might be (like, I don't know, enormous file size or whatever) is irrelevant - would DX's version of the UnrealEd be capable of pulling it off? Could OTP have theoretically made TNM a standalone product if they wanted to?

Although now I think about it, even if they could do it, would the maker actually be allowed to? Or is there some kind of legal requirement in place that the original game has to be present if creating any kind of mod based off of it?
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Making a standalone mod - is it possible?

Post by Phasmatis »

No because you need the engine, in this case the unreal engine. Without it, you have a load of content but nothing to bring that content together into a game you can play.

You could probably strip out all the deusex stuff so you have the bare bone basics of the engine and still have a playable game but because modders don't have access to the source code you're probably still using some internal changes the DX team made and legally I would say it's still under the property of Eidos, even if there aren't any signs of DX content.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

If you were going to strip out all traces of Deus Ex, you might as well just use Unreal Engine 3. But as you said, you're not going to do it, so this is all a moot point.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Lork wrote:If you were going to strip out all traces of Deus Ex, you might as well just use Unreal Engine 3. But as you said, you're not going to do it, so this is all a moot point.
I thought about stripping DeusEx and doing my own game with Unreal with just the engine code, but it would have taken too long. I then tried the UDK, didn't have (and still don't) know how to do the simplist things I could do in UED 1 and 2 such as creae a class, export/import/compile code, import anything or place things in maps. Can't even find help on just creating a new class or even my own package or how to import music and even use music in a map.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Bushwacka
Thug

Post by Bushwacka »

Well thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

Phasmatis (I thought you looked awesome in TNM, by the way! :mrgreen: ): I totally see your point about needing the engine to bring all the content together. Although I probably should've been more clear: I was getting at creating a standalone product with the engine included (which could've been a factor contributing to the aforementioned enormous file size, perhaps?). I figured such a thing (and I stress this word) might be possible from a technical standpoint: after all, Deus Ex used and modified the Unreal Engine, but supplied it on its own terms - it's not like you need one of the Unreal games already installed to use it. The game Gunman Chronicles was originally developed as a mod for Half-Life, but although it still uses Half-Life's engine it actually ended up being released as its own standalone product - the same goes for Blue Shift, I guess. These things could have been mods that required the original base game to run, but I assume they instead shipped with the engine so they could run standalone.

As my first post's afterthought stated though, there's most likely the legal factor to consider here, right? I suppose you'd have to purchase some sort of license to supply and release the engine in that form, which most likely wouldn't be easy for Mr Average Joe to achieve and, even then, probably wouldn't come cheap!

Lork: Yeah you're totally right, I guess it is all a moot point because I would probably never do it. I was looking around a bit into "easy" alternatives last night. As you can probably imagine, I didn't find much. I did come across one drag-and-drop program called FPS Creator, and I actually already own another game creator made by the same company called DarkBASIC - which I paid for and then never used! But even these "beginner" products that apparently require "no coding skills whatsoever" were far beyond my understanding, so I guess I'm a lost cause. It's not that I don't want to do it, I just... can't... :P

Morpheus: You still sound like you have more experience than I do, but still it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has difficulty understanding all of this stuff! I suppose there's probably loads of people out there just like me, who find it easy to come up with an idea for something but lack the ability to do anything about it - plus I'm willing to bet that the amount of mods that get abandoned part-way through development is far greater than the amount that actually see the light of day. I guess the difference between them and me is that they know when to quit! lol.

Oh well, thanks again for putting up with my ramblings guys - give yourselves a medal or something! :smile:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yep, totally possible, but gross breach of copyright.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine