3d Studio Max used for making maps in Deus Ex?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Neveos
X-51

3d Studio Max used for making maps in Deus Ex?

Post by Neveos »

I've spent the entire day researching this, so I want to ask everyone here, do you think it is possible to create a map in 3d studio max and then import that "static mesh" into the Deus Ex dsk to build the entities on top of? I want to create a revision to a similar plot in Deus Ex: Invisible War as a mod, and my girlfriend wants to make a bunch of random interiors for her portfolio. So if anyone sees this as a _possibility_ I would be immensely grateful if we could discuss how it might work.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: 3d Studio Max used for making maps in Deus Ex?

Post by Trestkon »

I'm afraid not.

For a couple reasons. Firstly, the engine is absolutely horrible at lighting meshes, so everything will look overly bright and, well, crappy. Secondly, the collision for meshes is restricted to a box or a cylinder, so you can't really craft a whole room in Max and import it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news #-o
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

CURSES. Thank you for letting me know. Are there any SDKs, in the more modern games, that do allow such maps to be made using 3d studio max?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The UDK requires almost everything to be made in Max, but you'd be better off splitting the scene into individual objects with individual materials and importing them like that.

http://www.udk.com/
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
SleepyHe4d
Thug

Post by SleepyHe4d »

Jonas wrote:The UDK requires almost everything to be made in Max, but you'd be better off splitting the scene into individual objects with individual materials and importing them like that.

http://www.udk.com/
I know UDK is new and all, but why isn't anyone making a Deus Ex mod or recreation with it? Wouldn't it be possible to import the HDTP and New Vision assets and make an updated Deus Ex game?

Just sayin. :p
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

SleepyHe4d wrote:I know UDK is new and all, but why isn't anyone making a Deus Ex mod or recreation with it?
Because making a modern AAA game is not something you do over the weekend. Deus Ex was a very very long game (over 30 hours of play, wasn't it?) with a mind-boggling amount of interacting game systems, and to remake all of that with shiny new graphics in the UDK in your spare time would take years and years and years. To give you an idea of it, look at the screenshots of HDTP assets: those are pretty damn neat and well detailed, right? But they are well beneath the detail level expected of a UDK game.

There's also the copyright issues, of course.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
SleepyHe4d
Thug

Post by SleepyHe4d »

Well other mod teams have made modern high quality games, but you're right. Deus Ex would be different since it's so long and detailed and you'd have to get enough people interested. For some reason there's not much interest in Deus Ex. :(
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

SleepyHe4d wrote:Well other mod teams have made modern high quality games, but you're right.
There's a difference between working on your own stuff or somebody else's though, especially when you do it for free. The people who have the skills and the knowledge to make entire games tend to prefer making their own games rather than remaking old games that they can't make any money off of and will probably receive a cease and desist over after years of development.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Very interested in "UDK", and just got done checking out the site. When you say almost everything is made using Max, I'm assuming you mean the models, etc. But is it conceivable that an entire floor plan be made in 3d Studio max, and it recognize all the different collision points, like walking down some stairs?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Later builds of the unreal engine allow for per-poly collision, thus max models for stairs are a-ok.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Excellent, excellent. Secondly, do you think it is possible for me to import, not only the models and animations from the first Deus Ex, but also import the conversation logistics and the whole menu-screen deal that was in the first game. Basically I just want to make a fantasy sequel to Deus Ex where I use the old models and everything. The 3d studio max deal is simply a desire to utilize the speed with which my gf is capable of building the static portions of these maps.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Depends what you mean by "import".

But in a word: no. More like you'll have to recreate almost everything from scratch.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Shoot. Oh well, I'll have to figure that out, but are you referring only to the menu-system and conversation system exclusively? The model's and their animation should still work you think? I feel bad asking these things, it is just so much easier for me to know what to get started on.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

They might, but Deus Ex uses terrifyingly clunky and tedious vertex animation whereas the UDK uses skeletal animation, so you'd have to redo all the animations. And I bet that's not even half of what you'd need to redo to get HDTP models working in the UDK.

Oh and of course, that's just for the models. You'd also have to recode all or most of the game systems, not just the dialog system. And Deus Ex has a LOT of game systems. If you want to try to port Deus Ex's AI over to the UDK... good luck. You'll need it ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Heh. Well I might just end up redoing the whole thing if it looks like I can't copy any of it over. But "hdtp", is that the new models and stuff? I wouldn't really bother making it look nicer regardless of the better engine being used. I literally wanted to make a deus ex mod which improved upon the Invisible War plot out of fan-interest. The desire to incorporate the use 3d studio max is simply an extra measure. I could make this with the Deus Ex Sdk (since I want exactly the same elements), but I could churn out the maps much quicker, and more complex, with 3d studio max. My brother is an impressionist and can replicate the voices. If anyone has any idea as to how to bring the Deus Ex elements over while we are making these maps, it would be a big help. If not, I'll have to build it from scratch.