Permanently Disable Cheats via Mod

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Permanently Disable Cheats via Mod

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Yukichigai mentioned wanting to modify Shifter to enable this sort of feature once, and after reading a message elsewhere, I'm beginning to wonder if such a thing could actually be made possible.

Would it be reasonably feasible to create a mod that would allow for the disabling of cheats, or is that beyond the scope of Deus Ex modding capabilities?
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Permanently Disable Cheats via Mod

Post by Jonas »

Yep, IIRC all the cheats are set in the playerclass, so it should be possible just to override them with functions that do nothing. Or better yet, insult you when you try to cheat :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Of course, one of the main reasons for having cheats is to aid testing: if I want to ascertain whether my latest code update has ruined a patrol route for some dude, it's a lot easier to load up the map, invisible 1, slomo 4 and ghost my way over to the guard in particular, rather than actually try and sneak there.

Plus, ultimately: people who want to cheat...want to cheat. Removing the ability to do so seems like a surefire way to increase frustration in some players while having no positive effect on the others..

So think carefully. :)
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

Errm, yeah, if you don't want to cheat, you shouldn't turn them on.