How can we contact the old GITM team?

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Re: How can we contact the old GITM team?

Post by chris the cynic »

Vavrek wrote:Um ... Hi?
Hi.
I suddenly realize that most of you have probably played more of TNM than I have and may recognize me by way of my GitM-associated game character. How bizarre.
I remember you from the forums, but I just remember that you were there and that we talked. All of the details have fled from my mind. Anyway, I think you may have been the first person to talk to me over there, Duncan Idaho. I think I came was around for a while, left, came back, mentioned that I enjoyed whatever our conversations may have been and wondered if Duncan was still around, and then found out you were. (Name changes can be confusing.) And that is pretty much all that I remember.

My memory sucks.
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

Hi Chris, how've you been?

I think it was from you that I remember the comment about how Paris was an absolutely wonderful city and all the Parisians should die and be replaced by French people from the countryside, because they have souls.

I know you said many other things, but that's the one which stuck in my mind.

The Duncan Idaho business came around because a friend of mine (Admiral_Justin) has a habit of referring to himself by whatever fictional character he likes at the time. Back then, it was Paul-Muad'dib. I felt like emulating him, did so for a few months, then stopped.

It got strange when I was recruited into the GitM team. For whatever reason, they had set up a website claiming to be a fansite for GitM, run by fans and not by developers. I was recruited first into that website, then later given the job title "PR Monkey." On the faux-fansite, I called myself Duncan Idaho. On the official website, I used my real name.

PS. Glad you got your questions answered, Darma.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Vavrek wrote:Hi Chris, how've you been?
I've been ok.

It would be nice if I could say that I've been great, or that I've done something impressive, but to be honest my life is probably about the same as it was when we first talked at PDX, except now I'm in college instead of highschool. I'm working on a classics major and then I'll graduate with a dual major (Math and Classics) and do ... I have no idea what. My plan to be rich by now has not worked (though if you have several thousand dollars you'd like to invest I think I can make a decent ROI, just don't ask me for a timetable.) And somehow I have yet to randomly be granted the ability to do something awesome without putting in an effort. (Damn you, dream of one day waking up knowing how to singlehandedly make videogames from scratch.)

I was in The Nameless Mod. The troubles I had getting my lines recorded were insane. I've never had computer problems like that before or since. Still, it was probably worth it.

I went to the Rally to Restore Sanity. If you watch The Daily Show you probably know what that means, if not it will be meaninless to you.

And I really haven't done much else. I have, on occasion, written something.

How have you been?
I think it was from you that I remember the comment about how Paris was an absolutely wonderful city and all the Parisians should die and be replaced by French people from the countryside, because they have souls.
Die might be overstating it, but yeah. Any "those people have souls" comment almost certainly came from me. I do not have a high opinion of Parisians.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

chris the cynic wrote:I went to the Rally to Restore Sanity. If you watch The Daily Show you probably know what that means, if not it will be meaningless to you.
Wow, crazy. I wanted to go but couldn't. I thought I saw you eight seconds into the wave with the Mythbusters crew but couldn't tell ;-). R2D2 ran over my foot in spirit.
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

It seems your past few years have been about as alright as mine.

After High School, I went straight into a community college expecting that I would figure out what I wanted to do with my life and, in fact, what I wanted to major in, along the way. I dropped out after a few months, worked for a movie theater for a year, went back to school, dropped out to move to Portland, OR, tried to find a job, failed. I went to a new school, overloaded myself with classes, and somehow got out of that winter with a scholarship, a temporary job, and still no idea of what to do with my life. This depressed and frustrated me the following summer ('09) and by this Spring I'd finally figured it out. An even five years after I graduated from High School and I finally know what I want to do as a career.

Nuclear Engineering.

My plan to make it rich has only yet begun!

I planned on watching the Rally's live coverage, but I tend to wake up around 10am-12pm on the weekends and that's midafternoon in DC time. How was it?

(You know, I planned on recording my lines for TNM, but I kept being annoyed by the TNM sound guy. I was a lot easier to annoy back then. Oddly enough, I have no idea how my character's VA sounds. I started playing TNM at release, but the first patch broke save compatibility. I held out on installing that patch until ... I had the mission to track down this bum named Vavrek who had ties to DXO. Much like Morrowind, I never really got back into the main plot after that. Of course, I'm replaying Deus Ex and plan on moving towards a few playthroughs of TNM once I finish.)
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Vavrek wrote:I planned on watching the Rally's live coverage, but I tend to wake up around 10am-12pm on the weekends and that's midafternoon in DC time. How was it?
I'm told they expected 60,000 when they applied for the permit, I was at what they clearly thought would be the back or behind the back. The absolutely lowest estimate I've heard for how many people showed up is 215,000. There was not a lot of space. You couldn't hear very well from where I was standing. (If you want to know why the seismograph didn't record much, it's because most people didn't know to jump.)

Even so it was pretty damn good. The sound improved after the benediction, though it became inaudible at some points later on.

Cspan has their coverage here. I expected Comedy Central to immediately put high definition video of the entire rally online, but the video they have put up (which is better quality than the cspan stuff) is fairly incomplete.

I wish there were some better aerial photos available. There was a damn helicopter circling the whole time, did they never think to snap a photo? Any photo showing large open square grassy sections were taken early on, when the crowd may have still been arriving, because those were opened up later when whoever had the authority to do so noticed the size of the crowd. The satellite photos I've seen show only a pretty small section of who was there, and that's a shame because I'd like to see the extent of the crowd.