I'd like to make a small mod however I have some issues.

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Massaca
NSF

I'd like to make a small mod however I have some issues.

Post by Massaca »

Hello all.

So I want to turn Deus Ex into Wolfenstien 3D. To start out though I just want to make the episode 1 floor 1 map for Deus Ex however I don't know where to start. I don't even know what programs I will need to make the textures & mesh's and such much less how to put it all together. The only modding experience I have with DX is altering weapon stats and changing ammo types.

I'm going to read through Tack's DX Lab to try to learn more but before hand what would be the better (or free) programs to use?

Would GIMP 2.6.8 be ok for doing texures?
What would I use to do meshes? (is there anything for no cost)

I have the DX SDK as well as two zipped folders named UEd2 (an UnReal Ed.2 hack for DX) and DXEditingPACK_1_8 (don't know what that one is). What would better to use?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
In a world without rules, danmaku is nonsense. ~ Marisa Kirisame
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: I'd like to make a small mod however I have some issues.

Post by nerdenstein »

Hey Welcome to the Forum :mrgreen:
Firstly, Making ports of Maps of Wolf3D should be fairly easy considering it has fairly simple maps. (No Ups and Downs and Blocky)
The Deus Ex SDK includes the map Editor UnrealED.
I wouldn't worry to much about DXEditingPack, Unless someone else tells you otherwise.

Now as for Textures and such, I used Photoshop but a friend has told me that GIMP is pretty good alternative but I have yet to try it.
for Meshes, I have no idea. Sorry :P.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

"Making the meshes" is an insanely hard thing to do, for something that is so easy to say.

What meshes are you thinking of making?
Massaca
NSF

Post by Massaca »

nerdenstein wrote:Hey Welcome to the Forum :mrgreen:
Firstly, Making ports of Maps of Wolf3D should be fairly easy considering it has fairly simple maps. (No Ups and Downs and Blocky)
The Deus Ex SDK includes the map Editor UnrealED.
Thanks, and yeah, I gathered it shouldn't be too advanced. The maps seem simple enough.
DDL wrote:"Making the meshes" is an insanely hard thing to do, for something that is so easy to say.

What meshes are you thinking of making?
I figured if I could actually get the map made I would probably need to make, barrels, pillars and perhaps the treasures (maybe weapons, though I doubt it).

I could probably just take DX barrels, but I'm not sure if there are pillars in DX. None of it is really essential yet though.
Last edited by Massaca on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a world without rules, danmaku is nonsense. ~ Marisa Kirisame
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Pillars are dead easy to make in the Map Editor using Brushes.
So I wouldn't worry.
Yeah Barrels.. Just use Deus Ex Barrels maybe just a new texture to make the look more Wolfy.
The only things I'd say you'd need to really make if you were gonna go all out on a mod like this would be weapons and Pickups (Ammo, Treasure.)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.