Certain maps won't load

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Certain maps won't load

Post by AgentSmithereens »

For some reason, in my editor some maps won't load. One of the maps in my mod won't and neither will some DX maps, e.g. Liberty Island. However other maps in my mod and from DX will open, e.g. the NYC bar. UED doesn't give any error messages, and in the log it doesn't give any clues. Also the maps work fine if I open them in DX with the Legend menu. I've had this problem before, but forgot how I fixed it. Any ideas?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Certain maps won't load

Post by DDL »

Usually a package dependency: are you sure you're preloading all the packages required? When it's not spamming you with "cannot find such and such" messages in the log, it usally means either textures, sounds or music that haven't been preloaded.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Yeah I'm fairly sure there's nothing wrong with the packages, since the maps still open fine in DX.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Sometimes DX will happily autoload packages that the editor won't. Could you post a log file anyway?
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

It's ok, I figured it out, and really it was a completely stupid problem. Basically, the path for the map (C:\Program Files\Games\Eidos Interactive\Deus Ex\DeusEx\Maps\mapname.dx) was too long to fit on the screen, and so the editor failed to load the map because it omitted a few letters off the end of the file. I'm not sure whether this is because my screen is too small to fit the entire path, or if it's a problem with the editor, but I reinstalled DX to C:\Deus Ex and that's fixed it.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hah! Ok, yeah, I never would've guessed that.

Good to know for future reference, though!