Ripping maps DX2 style

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Ripping maps DX2 style

Post by justanotherfan »

Uh, hi. I'm not a developer of practically anything, so this is more of a heads up.

Literally several people may remember my "effort" to port Deus Ex 2 maps to something usable here-
http://dxr.deus-ex.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&start=75

The end result was BSODs. However, 3D Ripper has been updated literally several versions. It now does Direct X 9, captures shaders, and Global Monitoring mode doesn't crash. I'd post this update @ DXR Forum, but I wouldn't want to bother the ghosts and spambots.

I've tried it; it doesn't do anything for me, but I don't know what I'm doing. The first step is probably configuring it to use keys F7 through F9, since DX2 forces biomods/quicksave on the other F keys, and the Ripper only offers function keys. It may work better (and certainly easier) when in windowed mode, so in DX2's default.ini (unset read-only mode first) change startupfullscreen to false in the second instance. I'm on directx 4.09.000.0904 (9.0c), listed as compatible with 3DRDX; Windows 7/Vista is reportedly incompatible, and I found Win2003 incompatible years ago, so the choice is XP. Since DX2.exe launches dx2main.exe, the "global monitoring mode" is likely necessary. Since "Ready to Capture" doesn't appear, 3DRDX probably has to be updated with DX2 in mind, so it could be worth contacting the developer. Edit: "Ready to Capture" is displaying everywhere here except in DX2 now, so it is working, but not for DX2.

Of course Deus Ex Reborn stopped anyway, so I have no idea what use the DX2 maps would be outside dx2main.exe. Yay good news update!