Changing Trestkon's Model

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Cbeam
Mole Person

Changing Trestkon's Model

Post by Cbeam »

Lately I've been thinking if you could change your player model in Deus Ex in general. So I've done a bit of searching here and there. And I have found quite a few ones that seemed they should of worked. So I went into MyComputer / C: / DeusEx / TNM / System / TNMUser

And I've changed: Class=TNM.Trestkon to "Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale"
I've also tried "Class=DeusEx.GuntherHermann" ; "Class=TNM.Phasmatis" ; "Class=TNM.BoardGuest"

None of them seem to work, although the game does start when I use JCDentonMale (I still play as Trestkon though) , when I put in GuntherHermann it gives me
this error when I try to start the game:

"Failed to load player class

History:ULevel::SpawnPlayActor <- UGameEngine::Init <- XGameEngineExt::Init <- DDeusExGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine"

Perhaps it has something to do with the "DefaultGame=TNM.TNMGameInfo"? I am truly not sure. I know that I can change the models, well Shifter does that for me but I just don't know how to do it without Shifter and in The Nameless Mod.

Any help in regard with this would be appreciated. :D

PS: I'm Lovin' The Nameless Mod so much. Awesome game.
Those who can, do. Those who cannot, complain.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Changing Trestkon's Model

Post by Jonas »

The player class doesn't just define your appearance, it has tons and tons of game code in there that defines what you can do, how various items and objects affect you, etc. etc. It basically contains an enormous portion of the game code. If you change your player class to JC Denton, I'm pretty sure a lot of TNM features will outright break, and needless to say none of the NPCs have all the code that the player character needs in order to interact properly with the game systems and the world.

In other words, changing your appearance would require changing the actual work, and that's a bit more complicated than messing around with the inis. If you're intent on doing it though, I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me will be able to tell you here.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cbeam
Mole Person

Post by Cbeam »

Oh, I just thought that it would be simple considering the mod Shifter allowed you to change your playing model by simply selecting it in the multiplayer menu. The only odd things I noticed were some of the animations were a bit odd, the "child" model ran faster and Gunther was a bit slower. Also from what I've read all you have to do is change the "Class" parameter, but it seems I am proven wrong.

I guess it's a bit more complicated than that though, thanks for the info nontheless. Maybe uncle Google will help me find the answer sometime. I've also stumbled across this site, and it seems that some of TNM staff is mentioned on it, so maybe you would know. It's from the mod "COUNTERFEIT".

http://deusex2.filefront.com/file/COUNTERFEIT;14087

"Class=CF.DB

And there you go. Basically that impliments the new player model. If you didn't do that, you'd be walking around as JC Denton, but everyone would be calling you Dominic Bishop."

I'm not too sure what to make of it as of yet. I am determined to find out how to play as another character. Nothing personal Trestkon :P You're still badass but it would be fun to play as someone else or use another skin, all just in my opinion.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

CF.DB being Counterfeit's playerclass, like Trestkon is ours. That means it has all the necessary code for you to play Deus Ex with it, just like Trestkon does, but unlike Trestkon it does not have all the necessary code to play TNM with - I don't remember Counterfeit adding much new code to the game, but it's possible you can't play Counterfeit with Trestkon either, since any code their mod depends on being present in the playerclass would not be found in ours. See what I'm saying?

You will probably have to download our SDK, change our playerclass to use whatever model and skin you want, and then rebuild the packages.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cbeam
Mole Person

Post by Cbeam »

Oh I see what you're getting at. I think I understand it now. Thanks for the information though. I'll try downloading the SDK and rebuilding the class and so on, thanks a ton.

Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out, I'm not much of a modder or skinner, but I take it will be relatively simple with all the tutorials on the internet.
Darma
UNATCO

Post by Darma »

Like Neo is mine