Weird problem with defaultproperties of a class on compile

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
G-Flex
Silhouette

Weird problem with defaultproperties of a class on compile

Post by G-Flex »

Hello sirs and others! Hopefully this place isn't too dead to get a response.

I've been working on making my own extensions to Deus Ex 2.0 now that I know how to compile my own deusex.u, but there's a problem!

I make changes to DeusExCarcass.uc and those changes compile just fine... except for the defaultproperties. For example, if I change ItemName from "Dead Body" to something else, like "Pogo Stick" or "Guy Who Isn't Living Anymore", the old ItemName is still used wherever the variable is invoked in the file. Other changes to the file take place just fine, but the default animal carcass name, dead body name, and unconscious name variables can't be changed, seemingly.

Is there something else I need to recompile, or something else I'm misunderstanding about the process? I find it very odd that everything else about the file updates just fine. I checked and those defaultproperties aren't even used or accessed by any other classes, judging by a quick file contents search, so I have no idea what's going on! Occam's Razor states that I'm just forgetting something somewhere, but there's no obvious answer I can think of.

Edit: Never mind, I'm a dummy. Through some troubleshooting, I finally figured out I was making a newbie error and editing localized strings, so the default values weren't mattering, the .INF localized values taking precedent.