Deus Ex: Human Renovation (fan patch/mod)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Deus Ex: Human Renovation (fan patch/mod)

Post by G-Flex »

Actually, since greys filter that damage type, they wouldn't react to it at all. Convenient.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Hah, you're right, filter comes before any response code. Well, that'll learn me.
I guess I'd just tend to avoid pointless takedamage calls in the first place (possibly because I'm running DX on a honeywell mainframe circa 1970).
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

G-Flex wrote:Weird, I don't see it in Robot.uc. Where is it in that file?

At any rate, I'm not sure I'd do that... I don't like throwing too many numbers at the player. I actually might get rid of the damage threshold display from doors, or changing it somehow, since it's caused apparent confusion with movers having reduced damage from certain weapon types and that kind of thing.

In other news, for fun I decided to code in a shrinking ray a while back. It's still a little buggy, but here are some screenshots of it in action:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5137351/shrinkgun/shrink1.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5137351/shrinkgun/shrink2.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5137351/shrinkgun/shrink3.png
You should def release this as some sort of bonus. The whole concept of shrinking anything in game sounds awesome!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

HA HA! Did you raise thier voice pitch and lower thier volume too for classic cartoon effect?
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Marcelo wrote:The whole concept of shrinking anything in game sounds awesome!
Wouldnt suit a fan patch though. You working on a seperate mod, G-flex, or did you just want to see if you could do it?

EDIT: I see the words "for fun". My mistake.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

It actually is in the released version, I believe, it's just not in the game proper. If you do "summon weaponshrinkgun" with cheats turned on, it should work. It's something I just did to see if I could, as a fun little exercise, along with weaponassaultheartgun (yes) and the various cheat codes (poke around my version of DeusExPlayer to find them if you want).
Cybernetic pig wrote:HA HA! Did you raise thier voice pitch and lower thier volume too for classic cartoon effect?
I can't believe I didn't think of this. I'm not sure how well that'll work, but I'll certainly try.
DDL wrote:Hah, you're right, filter comes before any response code. Well, that'll learn me.
I guess I'd just tend to avoid pointless takedamage calls in the first place (possibly because I'm running DX on a honeywell mainframe circa 1970).
You're talking to someone who used all kinds of trig functions to make sure the firing cone and targeting reticle match up literally perfectly and who has taken way too many math courses to approximate anything. You should see my new version of HurtRadius() (on the google code page, look at it in tools.uc). I actually ran into the unrealscript nesting limit while writing that. It's a hilarious mess, but it works well... enough. I guess.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

ooo, I just found something.

In the 14_OceanLab level, there is a medbot in a secret room, but it is submerged in water. You wouldn't ever know about it because it "drowns" and dies. Perhaps you can code the med and repair bots to not take drowning damage?
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Neveos wrote:ooo, I just found something.

In the 14_OceanLab level, there is a medbot in a secret room, but it is submerged in water. You wouldn't ever know about it because it "drowns" and dies. Perhaps you can code the med and repair bots to not take drowning damage?
I was gonna fix the poor little medbot for my mod, but I spent more than enough time trying failed work-arounds so I just went fuck it, deleted him. It's a difficulty mod anyway, and it wasn't in the original game, so to speak..
I always thought it was odd how there was next to nothing in that room yet the door lock strength was 60% or so.
But it is kinda appropriate there being nothing behind this one door for realism. Not EVERYTHING should reward the player either (referencing mine & gamer001's short discussion a couple of months ago). 98% of efforts should though, even if the reward is just a line of text.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Neveos wrote:ooo, I just found something.

Which map is this in, specifically?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it.
Last edited by G-Flex on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Lab.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Yeah, the lock strength is pretty high (although that late in the game, that probably won't stop you). You can find a key somewhere else in the level, though.

I don't know that I'd want to make robots invincible to water damage, since all robots being totally waterproof seems weird to me, especially medbots performing operations. However, it probably shouldn't make them blow up either. Maybe I'll have "drowning" damage do EMP damage to them instead, so they become "disabled". I don't know.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:Maybe I'll have "drowning" damage do EMP damage to them instead, so they become "disabled". I don't know.
Makes sense.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I would think that waterproofing a medical bot would be of critical importance, humans being the big bags of watery goo that we are. Last thing you want is a short circuit when it's got its armature stuck up your fundamentals, or something. :shock:

Could always make its underwatertime "quite" long, so it's more sorta...water resistant. :P
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Thing is, there's a difference between being water-resistant and functioning totally normally underwater. I imagine performing laser surgery underwater is problematic.

Also, there are enough medical/repair bots in the game as it is, although I'm not sure what to do about that. I've been thinking of giving each of them a level of charge that can actually run out, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or if it's within the scope of my mod.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

G-Flex wrote:Thing is, there's a difference between being water-resistant and functioning totally normally underwater. I imagine performing laser surgery underwater is problematic.

Also, there are enough medical/repair bots in the game as it is, although I'm not sure what to do about that. I've been thinking of giving each of them a level of charge that can actually run out, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or if it's within the scope of my mod.
I'm not sure it's out of the scope of the mod, but it could affect the balancing. The Med Bots were placed in those areas for a reason and with the design idea in mind that they are rechargeable.
On the other hand, I'd welcome it in the Hard or Realistic difficulty settings . :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.