Deus Ex: Human Renovation (fan patch/mod)

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Deus Ex: Human Renovation (fan patch/mod)

Post by G-Flex »

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. My current changes involve an increase to the distance at which NPCs will hear gunfire (and explosions), which increases with difficulty setting. With these changes, NPCs can hear gunfire from a bit further away on Easy mode, and much further away as you get to Realistic.
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

Oh ok my bad. I though you said it will increase during the game. :oops: But yeah, the idea of increasing the sound radius for explosions is a great idea. :smile: and also with mele weapons against walls it makes it even better.
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

G-Flex wrote:I'm not sure what you're suggesting. My current changes involve an increase to the distance at which NPCs will hear gunfire (and explosions), which increases with difficulty setting. With these changes, NPCs can hear gunfire from a bit further away on Easy mode, and much further away as you get to Realistic.
That sounds wonderful.

Did you have to code this or was it under "filter settings"?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

If you mean the stuff under "Filter" in Actor properties in UnrealEd... that's all pretty much irrelevant to Deus Ex. I had to edit some of the classes themselves in order to calculate the appropriate sound radius for certain AI events.

I think I'm going to try getting NPCs to notice when you open doors, most notably in cases where you're cloaked (or otherwise invisible), since NPCs should still wonder "hey, why did that door just open by itself?". Oddly enough, the best way to do this might be to send a visual LoudNoise event, but I'm open to suggestions.
TimeLoss
Mole Person

Post by TimeLoss »

G-Flex wrote:Should items on corpses that the player can't pick up be dropped to the ground, similar to Shifter?
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Renovation is by far one of my favorite mods for DX. It is a more refined vanilla experience, lacking all the bloat that is included with SHIFTER. (I really dislike the new EXP rewards among other changes)

Anyways, In Deus Ex I have a tendency of being both an inventory hoarder and a body hider, and unless I am mistaken it is impossible to move a body without first emptying its inventory. To me this feature would make sense for those with a full inventory who want to be able to still move a body. Or you could introduce a system similar to 2027 where you can select which inventory items to take independent of carrying the body.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

G-Flex wrote:Should items on corpses that the player can't pick up be dropped to the ground, similar to Shifter?
Personally, I would say no change here.

Nice to read your update about the next version, by the way! =D>
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

In my mod I went for an approach of "frob once to grab stuff off the body, but if it's shit you can't pick up, frob again within a second or two to pick up the body anyway, even if it's still carrying shit you can't hold".

It makes it a little tedious codewise, transferring the inventory across to the POVcorpse, then back to the new carcass when you drop it, but in-game it works pretty intuitively.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

That makes sense, and I believe that's been suggested before.

The code is probably pretty easy, since the same process happens when a pawn's inventory is transferred to a carcass to begin with, and that can likely be copied over without much of any difficulty.

In other news, I've integrated the MoreTriggers package into my mod, for my own use and the use of other modders. However, I've made some changes:
  • ActorSpawnTriggers can now set the owner/instigator of the spawned actor more flexibly.
  • The ExplosionTrigger basically didn't work before, using very simple and buggy explosion-damage code that wasn't consistent with that of the rest of the game, so now it's just a subclass of ActorSpawnTrigger that summons a new class I made called "Exploder". Exploders are actors that do nothing but explode upon creation and destroy themselves, similarly to decorations or projectiles. Basically, spawning one is just spawning an explosion. This will be pretty useful to me. For example, I've already made the Vandenberg gas station pumps (the ones you can destroy) explosive, but now I'll be able to make the individual pumps themselves explode since I don't have to rely on the movers for it. If I feel like it, I might expand Exploders to support effects similar to gas grenades and possibly other types of explosion (EMP, white phosphorus).

I've been pondering how silly it is that Paul can't be killed during the raid on the 'Ton even though keeping him alive and protecting him is ostensibly the entire point of that scene. As it is, you can hide in a closet while he kills everyone nearby, and that just isn't fair. Can anyone think of a solution to this? I remember someone suggesting that he simply cower instead of attacking, but another solution is to simply make him susceptible to injury. I'm not sure what would work best. Of course, if he can actually be killed, that presents a serious issue, since his body is later found at the MJ12 lab, and if it winds up being gibbed that wouldn't exactly make sense.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I made him susceptible to injury, though he is fucking terrible at staying alive (he really can't handle MIBs), so I went for substantially upping his hitpoints and making him aimforhead, so at least he has a chance of plinking them in the face with his autoshotty before he gets into asplosion range. I haven't extensively tested it, mind you.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

I guess making him use his augmentations to gain a substantial advantage and enchancing his AI, is out of the question?
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Depends on what you mean by "enhancing his AI". I've already implemented enough of my own code that it would be easy to make him a little better at fighting than he already is.

My current idea is to have him vulnerable, but beefy, and have him flee and cloak at a relatively high percentage of health, since he's supposed to be in a weakened state. However, Paul cloaking when his augmentations are supposed to be deactivated seems kind of silly.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Maybe have him be more defensive, retreat to rooms, have the enemies focus much more on JC, have some enemies on the lobby ignore him as long as some other (2-3) enemies fire on him..? I have no idea if any of this can be done.

Also what happens if the player PRODS Paul until he is unconscious, picks him up, and goes out the back window?
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

DDentonas wrote:Maybe have him be more defensive, retreat to rooms, have the enemies focus much more on JC, have some enemies on the lobby ignore him as long as some other (2-3) enemies fire on him..? I have no idea if any of this can be done.
That sounds way out of bounds of what the AI is capable of, except the part about having Paul flee more often.
Also what happens if the player PRODS Paul until he is unconscious, picks him up, and goes out the back window?
He doesn't take damage from that, but tranq darts would work. And yeah, I have no idea what the implications of that would be.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Baah. I'm experimenting with having Paul become vulnerable to damage during the 'Ton raid, but this is presenting problems.

First, he doesn't do well fending off multiple MIBs at once, especially when at least one has a combat shotgun and all he's got is that godawful assault rifle.
Secondly, even if I have him flee relatively early... he flees toward the raid, since the map has no HidePoints in his apartment.

Not sure what to do about either of these.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

G-Flex wrote:Secondly, even if I have him flee relatively early... he flees toward the raid, since the map has no HidePoints in his apartment.
HidePoints could be fixed in a map patch, along with better pathing in general.
G-Flex wrote:In other news, I've integrated the MoreTriggers package into my mod, for my own use and the use of other modders.
Thank you! :D
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.