3ds Max proper pivots

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Kalman11
Mole Person

3ds Max proper pivots

Post by Kalman11 »

Hi!
How can I move the pivot of mesh in 3ds Max? I moved it with Align Pivot Only, then I imported it into DeusEx, but it uses the original pivot, and I can't make the collision properly
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: 3ds Max proper pivots

Post by Phasmatis »

If I remember correctly, the pivot is middle of the scene in Max, so place the pivot at 0,0,0 and align the mesh around the pivot instead of the other way round.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

@ Phasmathis. I need some of your knowledge about DX 3d and whatever it takes to import a mesh to DX. Can you share a bit of your time and patience.
Hi!
How can I move the pivot of mesh in 3ds Max? I moved it with Align Pivot Only, then I imported it into DeusEx, but it uses the original pivot, and I can't make the collision properly
I dont know what is this "align pivot" is about cause I use another program, the only thing I know is thath the axis(0,0,0) must be in the centre of the mesh so the collision cylinder work decently whit your Mesh. I have made various custom animated character meshses for NPC but they look like ass.
Kalman11
Mole Person

Post by Kalman11 »

Ok, I try to explain
This is the original pivot (and DX wants to use it anyway):
origi.png
I moved the pivot to 0,0,0 and it's ok in 3ds Max, but DX moves back the pivot to its original position:
newpivot.png
Thanks for the replies, I didn't get answer on dxalpha :)
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Try "Reset Xform" in the utilities panel after you've placed the pivot, that should reset everything so what you see in Max is what you get in game.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Kalman11
Mole Person

Post by Kalman11 »

Thanks, it works :D