DXStats - small DX mod

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
mmm
Mole Person

DXStats - small DX mod

Post by mmm »

Hi, guys.

I've made a small Deus Ex modification that counts different player statistics during the gameplay. I mainly intended it for people who want to do ghosting and like to keep track of their performance during the playthrough. At the start of the new game player will receive an item called PPM (personal performance monitor) in his inventory. ATM it looks like the ambrosia can but I will probably find a more suitable replacement later. The item description will show various stats like these:

* Hostiles alerted - this counts when player is seen and attacked or when player's shots are heard (or if they hit someone). I will probably also implement the "possible alerts" stats that will be triggered when an NPC sees player but he gets out of the way before NPC is alerted
* Alarms triggered - by a guard running to an alarm, by crossing the red lasers or by a camera that sees the player and raises an alarm
* Targets killed or destroyed - total count of everything considered dead that was killed or destroyed by player
* - Hostiles
* - Neutrals
* - Friendlies
* Humans killed
* - Civilians
* - Military
* - Thugs - curiously, in the first mission all NSF soldiers are "military" but their leader is a "thug"
* Creatures killed - total count, including cats, rats, birds and fishes :) You can also see that there is no such stat in "neutralized" category. Strangely enough, stun prod does not do anything to animals in vanilla DX.
* - Dangerous ones - greasels, dogs, grays and karkians
* Bots destroyed
* Headshots - excluding the shotgun
* Targets neutralized - one of the main stats for non-lethal playthrough. Counts everything you neutralize with your stun prod plus bots disabled by EMP
* - Hostiles
* - Neutrals
* - Friendlies
* Humans neutralized
* - Civilians
* - Military
* - Thugs
* Bots disabled

ATM the stats are not reset on map/mission change. I want to have separate total and current mission stats. In the near future I plan to add bodies found stats, cameras disabled/destroyed and potential alerts count. I also plan to add the mod to moddb when it has had its first testing and feedback. Please test it and write your suggestions and bug reports here. What would you like to see in the stats?

Here's the temporary download link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/323556/DXStats001.zip

How to install:
Unzip the DeusEx.u file into the <Deus Ex>/System/ folder and don't forget to make a backup copy of it before you do that!

P.S. As a novice UnrealScript coder, I'd like to know if there's a way to not touch main DeusEx.u file, at least not recompile it each and every time (which takes annoying 30 seconds). I'd love to have a separate DXStats.u file but there's already calls I need to do to count stats in 5 different .uc files of the main package so it seems unlikely.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: DXStats - small DX mod

Post by G-Flex »

You could certainly make the object part of a new package... but then that object would need to check for killing various things, and good luck checking for, say, NPC death without modifying ScriptedPawn. It's annoying, but I think you're stuck modifying the DeusEx package.
mmm
Mole Person

Post by mmm »

G-Flex wrote:You could certainly make the object part of a new package... but then that object would need to check for killing various things, and good luck checking for, say, NPC death without modifying ScriptedPawn. It's annoying, but I think you're stuck modifying the DeusEx package.
Yeah, that's what I figured. The only thing I've found that resembled what I needed was the bit in the old unrealscript black magic document explaining how to change objects on their instantiation and that looks even more clumsy than it sounds.
mmm
Mole Person

Post by mmm »

DXStats v2 released. Now it also counts bodies found, cameras disabled/destroyed and tracks per-level and total stats separately.

I've set up a moddb project here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dxstats
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Is it possible to set it up to work with Shifter 1.8.4?
TheUnbeholden
NSF

Post by TheUnbeholden »

yeah thats pretty much a must for me as I don't play without Shifter or Shifter + Biomod.
"Blood is a Passion"